If you're one of the gradually reducing number of folks that aren't currently receiving notifications to topics you've subscribed to, or PMs you're receiving, first check you've got the correct address in your profile, then drop in and post your experience in this thread, remembering to tell us your email provider's details, which is the part after the @ in your email address.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Alex_110

Removing Decal Film

So I've been having my first go with Alclad on a little Airfix 1/72 Sabre I've had lying around for years. All's gone well, the polished aluminium looks great - but inevitably there's a problem:

The Airfix decals are particularly matt, and it's very obvious where the film is once the decals is down on the Alclad. I was able to trim the larger decals such as the USAF lettering, but this technique isn't really feasible with some of the other decals still to go on - such as the checkerboard tail or the "Little Rita" lettering. I've tried applying a little gloss over a smaller one, but that doesn't really help blend it in to the Alclad either. If you guys have got any tips for alleviating this problem they'd be much appreciated - pic below of the scheme in question.

3_9_b1.jpg

Model Master makes a 'Sealer for Metalizer' (#1469) especially for metalpaints - have you tried that? :hmmm:

I don't know how it will work with Alclad, as I don't use Alclad myself.

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

2 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

Model Master makes a 'Sealer for Metalizer' (#1469) especially for metalpaints - have you tried that? :hmmm:

I don't know how it will work with Alclad, as I don't use Alclad myself.

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Unfortunatly I haven't got any on me. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll keep it in mind for the next time I attempt a NMF.

After some more experiments, sandwiching the decal between layers of Super Clear III seems to work responsibly well without affecting the Alclad's sheen too much, so I might just do that to the whole model. It was only meant to be a weekend build after all.

There is a video (Flory, I think), where carrier film is removed with a cotton bud dipped in white spirit. Unfortunately, I can't find it at the moment. The results looked really good, though the technique is obviously not risk-free.

John.