This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Wez

New Doctor Who named - spoiler alert!

On 8/1/2017 at 7:58 AM, Dave Batt said:

Er, is this the same woman who's currently appearing in trailers saying things like "I've stolen something that isn't mine . . "  and "I'm not a real doctor . . .",  is it?

Well, technically speaking the Doctor did steal the TARDIS to go wandering, and is usually quick to say he (or she) is not a medical doctor...

On 18/07/2017 at 9:53 AM, T7 Models said:

There is no such thing as a 'best' Doctor. 

No, but some are much better than others.... or maybe they just had better scripts. And scarves.

10 hours ago, IanHx said:

And scarves.

......and hats. Hats are cool.

Trevor

Esteemed Wife had to tell me (four times...) who this actor is, and I'm still none the wiser. The trailer to which Dave Batt refers augurs further BBC bland-out. From its gob-smacking beginnings in the early '60s, this show has become a repository for thumbnail performances(?) of BBC 'talent', in case we forget what they look like. I imagine the odious likes of Giedroyc and Perkins, David Walliams, various de-frocked Eastenders and probably Michael Macintyre will be appearing at some point... Thin Gruel Ahead: Please Lower Your Expectations.

You are mistaking the current run for the last years of John-Nathan Turner era.

John SImm's Master was far from a "thumbnail performance" and neither was Michelle Gomez' "Missy". In fact if it wasn't for the terrible scripts, Peter Capaldi would have been one of the best ever, but the awful scripts (and awful assistant Clara) let him down.

Thumbnail performances... Hmm...

Caitlin Blackwood (The Eleventh Hour, The Big Bang)

Julian Bleach (various)

Bernard Cribbins (The End of Time)

Tony Curran (Vincent and the Doctor)

Lindsay Duncan (The Waters of Mars)

Iain Glen (The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone)

Michelle Gomez (various)

Florence Hoath (The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances)

John Hurt (The Day of the Doctor)

Derek Jacobi (Utopia)

Suranne Jones (The Doctor's Wife)

Toby Jones (Amy's Choice)

Faye Marsay (Last Christmas)

Carey Mulligan (Blink)

Adrian Scarborough (A Town Called Mercy)

Lesley Sharp (Midnight)

John Simm (various)

and among the regulars

Christopher Eccleston (Dalek, Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways)

David Tennant (The Waters of Mars, The End of Time)

Catherine Tate (Turn Left)

Matt Smith (The Eleventh Hour, The Bells of St. John)

Karen Gillan (The Girl Who Waited, The Angels Take Manhattan)

Arthur Darvill (The Angels Take Manhattan)

Peter Capaldi (Heaven Sent)

Jenna Coleman (Flatline)

Pearl Mackie (World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls)

I think you need a bigger thumb.

Not to mention the splendid Alex Kingston, who played opposite three different doctors equally brilliantly. And Billie Piper was far from sketchy as well...

best,

M

4 hours ago, T7 Models said:

I think you need a bigger thumb.

I think you just proved my point. OK, there are one or two exceptions (Cribbins, Duncan, Hurt, Glen -oooh, that's four) in that long and honourable list, but...the Corporation's basic model of 'quality' programming is 'Stick Toby Jones in something'. The rest are mostly reasonably competent jobbing actors, but more than anything their purpose here appears to be as familiar 'faces' rather than their contributing very much to the programme.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but as the magic and inventiveness of the first ever series (I know, the rose-tint of monochrome history!) seem as far off as old money, cars with starter handles and Jubblies, it's sort of sad that today no-one can do a bit more fire and a bit less slush.

Dear God, I suppose I'll be wanting 'The Wednesday Play' back next! :idea:

Posted (edited)

Each to their own, I suppose. But doesn't it get terribly depressing living in a world in which nothing new can live up to the supposed glory of the past? And speaking as a card-carrying grumpy old man who loved Pertwee and Tom Baker, but tried rewatching The Green Death and the Talons of Weng Chiang not so long ago with the kids, the old days were really NOT as good as we often like to think they were... Over-mannered "BBC Character Actor" faces retreading the same performances that they gave in Sunday afternoon classic serials, now-unwatchable sitcoms, and drably-filmed costume dramas...

best,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon

2 hours ago, AngstROM said:

I think you just proved my point. OK, there are one or two exceptions (Cribbins, Duncan, Hurt, Glen -oooh, that's four) in that long and honourable list, but...the Corporation's basic model of 'quality' programming is 'Stick Toby Jones in something'. The rest are mostly reasonably competent jobbing actors, but more than anything their purpose here appears to be as familiar 'faces' rather than their contributing very much to the programme.

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but as the magic and inventiveness of the first ever series (I know, the rose-tint of monochrome history!) seem as far off as old money, cars with starter handles and Jubblies, it's sort of sad that today no-one can do a bit more fire and a bit less slush.

Dear God, I suppose I'll be wanting 'The Wednesday Play' back next! :idea:

Drivel.

Back in the wonder year of 1963 the actors who you enjoyed could also be described as 'jobbing' actors who would crop up time and again in television programmes of the era. Doctor Who on Monday, Steptoe and Son on Tuesday, Z-Cars on Wednesday etc, and often with the same pronounced English accent. It has always been, and always will.

Some of the names on my list are not well known faces, or at least were not when they made their appearance in the show, and some are still not. Some happened to be at a point in their careers where they were lucky to be going from job to job, which is a rarity for many actors, but made it seem like they were in everything. Some are superb character actors, and some were not recognisable at all on the programme. See who Julian Bleach played and tell me how familiar his face is compared to the character he played.

You say that you didn't know who Jodie Whittaker is. Did you know who Matt Smith was before he was announced as the Doctor? Or David Tennant? Or even Tom Baker? There's a lot more television drama out there than ANY of us watch. Still, if you don't like it I am sure you know where the 'off' button is. Or are you like those people who watch programmes they hate just so they can rant about them weekly on the Digital Spy forum?

Goodness, such a deal of spleen!

For your information, I knew fine well who David Tennant was long before he debuted as possibly the most irritating Doctor in the history of this show -that was when I stopped watching it, despite liking a lot of Tennant's work before and since. The other luminaries Smith and Baker I had not heard of previously, because I watch very little TV in any case, and cannot believe I missed much.

My issue is with the current practice of UK television producers lazily hashing up a rep company of actors regardless of their ability to contribute to a story, shoving them into a sausage-making machine that squidges talented and untalented alike into a flat grey sludge and calling it entertainment. Sadly, the once great BBC leads the world in this.

Still, it clearly works for some of us.

10 hours ago, AngstROM said:

I watch very little TV in any case

That much is obvious. Your arguments lack evidence and seem to be based on subjective opinion. That you state you haven't watched Doctor Who since David Tennant, who ended his tenure in 2008, makes your comments regarding its current state even more ridiculous.

In any case, as you don't actually watch the programme, allow those of us who do to enjoy it without the uninformed snarky comments. 

10 hours ago, AngstROM said:

My issue is with the current practice of UK television producers lazily hashing up a rep company of actors

How unlike, say, ITC in the 1960s, or Anglia in the 70s...

I don't remember David Tennant or Matt Smith or Billie Piper or Katherine Tate or Karen Gillan or Peter Capaldi being in Chalk or Coupiing, or James Nesbit being in Dr Who, just to name a few people who aren't in Stephen Moffat's "rep company". About the only regular co-conspirator of Moffat is Mark Gatiss...

best,

M.

Well, I don't understand how my comments impact on anyone's enjoyment (or otherwise) of this show, but since expressing a valid opinion here has caused so much bile, and I obviously don't have enough crayons to proceed with this, thank you all for your 'contributions' -I'll leave it there.