Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

PhotoBucket are no longer permitting 3rd party hosting   01/07/17

As most of you are now painfully aware, Photobucket (PB) are stopping/have stopped allowing their members to link their accumulated years of photos into forums and the like, which they call 3rd party linking.  You can give them a non-refundable $399 a year to allow links, but I doubt that many will be rushing to take them up on that offer.  If you've previously paid them for the Pro account, it looks like you've got until your renewal to find another place to host your files, but you too will be subject to this ban unless you fork over a lot of cash.   PB seem to be making a concerted move to another type of customer, having been the butt of much displeasure over the years of a constantly worsening user interface, sloth and advertising pop-ups, with the result that they clearly don't give a hoot about the free members anymore.  If you don't have web space included in your internet package, you need to start looking for another photo host, but choose carefully, as some may follow suit and ditch their "free" members at some point.  The lesson there is keep local backups on your hard drive of everything you upload, so you can walk away if the same thing happens.   There's a thread on the subject here, so please use that to curse them, look for solutions or generall grouse about their mental capacity.   Not a nice situation for the forum users that hosted all their photos there, and there will now be a host of useless threads that relied heavily on photos from PB, but as there's not much we can do other than petition for a more equitable solution, I suggest we make the best of what we have and move on.  One thing is for certain.  It won't win them any friends, but they may not care at this point.    Mike.
Wez

New Doctor Who named - spoiler alert!

49 posts in this topic
6 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

(and what wonderfully latent sexism it is too, to consider that a Doctor can only be man...)

I think it rather brings up larger questions about the mutability of gender, which I think makes a lot more people uncomfortable than "mere" sexism. 

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Sooo, reading between the lines, this is not a vote in favour of the new doctor? ;)

Steve.

In fairness to her, nothing they do can possibly be any dumber than River Song, the nadir not only of Doctor Who, but of all human endeavour, ever.

I haven't watched Doctor Who for a long time. It lost me long ago, when Mr. Baker was no longer the Doctor.

I was informed by a good friend today that a new Doctor had been announced.

Nonchalantly I perused the World Wide Wait. I was very pleasantly surprised to see who it was :).

:clap:.

She's a superb actress. Strong. In Black Mirror she gave a very good performance.

Nevertheless, that's not the reason I'll be watching the show (although it helps, a lot)

I'm sure that it's not at all sexist to say that I think she's as hot as a Vindaloo left out on a hot rock in the Sahara, on a very hot day :jump_fire:.  That once again my boat has been floated, after a particularly nasty accident with mismatched cleaning products, an explosion in the captain' s latrine and a deep swamp. Once again, I feel I can put my Horse Chestnuts in a pickle jar. 

Yes, she is indeed very gentle upon my blurred and bloodshot eye.

She reminds me that I was once young and able to have irrational crushes on ladies I didn't know. Ladies that may indeed, for all I know, be obsessed with Dressage, thimbles, collect carrier bags or have very sweaty feet and a laugh like a hyena that has just suffered a prolapse. Yes, that was the grim truth discovered in so, so many cases :fraidnot:.

Nevertheless, those were the golden years of youth. Of dreaming of talking with them all night. Driving around the Italian Lakes with them by my side, scarf on head (bandage on mine), sunglasses, Burt Bacharach on the radio in a British Racing Green MG TC. The years when I still had a pulse :frantic::bounce: !

Mrs. T knows of my crush already :o. She laughed at me with that kind of 'knowing snort' :confused:, throwing back her head and looking at me through narrowed eyes. Such is life. Never mind. 

All is good in the world again :bear:.

Yours with a far off look in his eye :heart: 

TonyT

(No, it's not my glaucoma).

6 people like this

56 minutes ago, AngstROM said:

Suspending disbelief meself right now! Surely Mr Capaldi was a 'presence' before being utterly wasted therein by very poor scripting...? If The Thick Of It/In The Loop (and lots else besides) aren't ringing any bells, howzabout Christopher Eccleston's (edgiest and best of the current lot, IMO) previous...? And I'm not remotely sleb-driven! :wonder:

I really don't watch a lot of telly or films, I only really find out about previous work that the actors have done after seeing them in Who.

I agree Chris Eccleston was one of the best Doctors, but I hadn't seen him in anything before Doctor Who.

To be honest though most of popular culture goes over my head, I only recently found out that some people think that 'Made in Chelsea' is real.

And 'sleb-driven', I have no idea what the reference is. I'm assuming some connection to Chris Eccleston.

Cheers,

Stuart

1 person likes this

I think the thing I find most off-putting is not that the new doctor will be a woman - With the way things are these days that was only to be expected.

The thing I find most off-putting is the sexualisation of the role full-stop. I felt this when River Song was introduced as the Doctors future wife and daughter of the Doctors companions. It's like pulling back the curtain and finding a wee man instead of a great wizard. Not sure at all how my stepson will react. I think he thought that Matt Smith was the coolest and  Peter Capaldi didn't quite measure up for him though I rather enjoyed his almost Billy Connolyesque manor at times.

Will the new Doctor stick to doing their fictional job or will there be love interest? Inter species, transgender lesbian perhaps?

3 people like this

5 hours ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Think younger Nora Batty

Now, can you imagine Nora Batty v. the Daleks?

Ultimate life form in the galaxy? No chance against Nora and her broom.

Wez, when you said Fnar your shreddies I thought you meant shreddies as in slang for undercrackers. Incidentally I see there is now a type of undercracker, and jeans and other things from the USA for the odouriferously flatulent called 'Shreddies' which have activated charcoal sewn into them. :D

1 person likes this

47 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Wez, when you said Fnar your shreddies I thought you meant shreddies as in slang for undercrackers. Incidentally I see there is now a type of undercracker, and jeans and other things from the USA for the odouriferously flatulent called 'Shreddies' which have activated charcoal sewn into them. :D

I expected that!  Either way I hope it raised a titter.

Charcoal pants eh?  Now there's a thing, I know e few who'd benefit from those, remembering my old NBC suit though, I can't help but think they'd be a bit uncomfortable.

2 people like this

Good luck to her i'm the same as TT,haven't watched it for donkeys years when Tom Baker risked tripping over his scarf but i think Jon Pertwee was the best doc...

Wez their site says they are snug (so that the escaping gas is filtered through the material rather than getting out the ...erm cracks and because of this they are figure hugging and slimming :D

Regardless of their gender, is it one of life's "rights of passage" when you realise that you are now older than the current Doctor?

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Wez their site says they are snug (so that the escaping gas is filtered through the material rather than getting out the ...erm cracks and because of this they are figure hugging and slimming :D

Where do I sign up?

1 person likes this

I waxed lyrical earlier as I really do have a soft spot for her, but in all seriousness;

British TV has, in the past, had a few quite intriguing, sexy and strong, female characters that have travelled well in terms of TV.

I can't help thinking of Diana Rigg in the Avengers. In fact, although a more two dimensional character, Joanna Lumley's Purdey in The New Avengers was no pushover and in Sapphire and Steel she was fascinating (just my opinion).

It could work, and due to my attraction to strong, attractive and above all, British  females, it reallly has me interested to give it a chance.

I'm married to a lady from New Zealand. When she reads this it's lumpy porridge  for me for weeks :(

Best regards

TonyT

3 people like this

5 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I can't help thinking of Diana Rigg in the Avengers. In fact, although a more two dimensional character, Joanna Lumley's Purdey in The New Avengers was no pushover and in Sapphire and Steel she was fascinating (just my opinion).

I try not to esp when I,m driving

4 people like this

I don't care if #13 is young, old, male, female, black, white, LBGT, able bodied or disabled.

I am ONLY interested in interesting, entertaining and comprehensible stories.

Trevor Hartnell

8 people like this

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

I am ONLY interested in interesting, entertaining and comprehensible stories.

Trevor Hartnell

Any relation...? :smile:

43 minutes ago, AngstROM said:

Any relation...? :smile:

'fraid not

Trevor Pertwee

2 people like this

15 hours ago, Richard E said:

Regardless of their gender, is it one of life's "rights of passage" when you realise that you are now older than the current Doctor?

It's a dynamic situation - I've had a temporary remission while Peter Capaldi has been in the role.

3 people like this

I haven't watched any Dr Who since Chris Eccleston left and I was hoping that the best Doctor Who (IMHO) - Tom Baker - would make a comeback!

Dave

1 person likes this

There is no such thing as a 'best' Doctor. They are merely different to the others.

5 people like this

41 minutes ago, davecov said:

I haven't watched any Dr Who since Chris Eccleston left and I was hoping that the best Doctor Who (IMHO) - Tom Baker - would make a comeback!

Dave

He did int he 50th Anniversary episode...

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Kallisti said:

He did int he 50th Anniversary episode...

and the inference was that a Timelord can choose their favourite incarnation when they regenerate for the last time.

Trevor

1 person likes this

On 18/07/2017 at 00:13, TonyTiger66 said:

She reminds me that I was once young and able to have irrational crushes on ladies I didn't know. Ladies that may indeed, for all I know, be obsessed with Dressage, thimbles, collect carrier bags or have very sweaty feet and a laugh like a hyena that has just suffered a prolapse. Yes, that was the grim truth discovered in so, so many cases :fraidnot:.

I don't think I'm ever going to be the same again after reading that, Mr Tiger ;). Just as well I wasn't drinking my customary morning cup o' tea, there, lucky escape...

I liked the bit about the 'knowing snort', too.

On 18/07/2017 at 02:44, TonyTiger66 said:

:Tasty: 

I'm a bit late to the party, but I think she's going to be great. As long as Chris Chibnall doesn't try to revisit his 'Cyberwoman' episode from Torchwood. (Broadchurch - and Life on Mars, etc., - more than made up for that, happily.)

I rather liked the last season of Who - it was a pity that Capaldi left just as he was finally allowed to settle into the role.

And I could't care less if the Doctor is black, white, brindle, male, female or covered in tentacles (sorry, @Martian Hale ;). Or barnacles. Not sure about a Doctor with an eyestalk, though.

On a slightly related note, having the Doctor as a Dalek reminds me somewhat of the Pakistani Dalek in Spike Milligan's Q8. Similar, but different.

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: --< not a Dalek

2 people like this

Sorry since someone mentioned J Lumley in leather I,ve lost track of this thread , what were we talking about again ?? 

2 people like this