Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

PhotoBucket are no longer permitting 3rd party hosting   01/07/17

As most of you are now painfully aware, Photobucket (PB) are stopping/have stopped allowing their members to link their accumulated years of photos into forums and the like, which they call 3rd party linking.  You can give them a non-refundable $399 a year to allow links, but I doubt that many will be rushing to take them up on that offer.  If you've previously paid them for the Pro account, it looks like you've got until your renewal to find another place to host your files, but you too will be subject to this ban unless you fork over a lot of cash.   PB seem to be making a concerted move to another type of customer, having been the butt of much displeasure over the years of a constantly worsening user interface, sloth and advertising pop-ups, with the result that they clearly don't give a hoot about the free members anymore.  If you don't have web space included in your internet package, you need to start looking for another photo host, but choose carefully, as some may follow suit and ditch their "free" members at some point.  The lesson there is keep local backups on your hard drive of everything you upload, so you can walk away if the same thing happens.   There's a thread on the subject here, so please use that to curse them, look for solutions or generall grouse about their mental capacity.   Not a nice situation for the forum users that hosted all their photos there, and there will now be a host of useless threads that relied heavily on photos from PB, but as there's not much we can do other than petition for a more equitable solution, I suggest we make the best of what we have and move on.  One thing is for certain.  It won't win them any friends, but they may not care at this point.    Mike.
Wez

New Doctor Who named - spoiler alert!

49 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Jodie Whittaker from Broadchurch, first woman to take the role...

New doctor who announced

Jodie Whittaker

Edited by Wez
3 people like this

I have no problem there. Good actress, and after seeing some of the names of male actors who were in the frame, good casting. Roll on the next series.:goodjob:

4 people like this

Nice choice, it was obvious it was going to be a female Doctor this time round and this is a good choice. Will be interesting to see the Christmas special with David Bradley doing his impersonation of Bill Hartnell :)

2 people like this

Will wait and see. Hopefully no cushions in the TARDIS and discussing leg hair with Daleks !!  ( exfoliate ! Exfoliate ! EXFOLIATE ! )

9 people like this

I've not seen jodie in anything, but the change will give the series a welcome shake up so I'm sure she will be a great Doctor.

My money was on Olivia Coleman, had no clue it was going to be Jodie.

Pleased with the announcement, although I also think Olivia Coleman would have been good (see any of her interviews on Graham Norton - nutty as a Snickers bar).

I gave up on Dr Who when Peter Capaldi came along - nothing to do with him but rather the scripts and life was too short to watch every episode twice to 'get it'.

I will watch the Christmas special and the next series with interest.

Trevor

3 people like this

23 minutes ago, Stu_davros said:

I've not seen jodie in anything, but the change will give the series a welcome shake up so I'm sure she will be a great Doctor.

My money was on Olivia Coleman, had no clue it was going to be Jodie.

She was apparently in Broadchurch, so were two others of the bookies favourites for the gig (including Olivia Coleman).

I say apparently because I've not seen Broadchurch yet so I've no previous knowledge, haven't had the time.

I'll be interested to see how they handle the post regeneration "new teeth" line this time.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Wez said:

She was apparently in Broadchurch, so were two others of the bookies favourites for the gig (including Olivia Coleman).

I say apparently because I've not seen Broadchurch yet so I've no previous knowledge, haven't had the time.

Broadchurch,David Tennant,it had to be 1 of those 2 women

1 person likes this

Well my wife has said she won't be watching any more Doctor Who, she has watched season after season with my son who has aspergers and he has been a big fan. She is of the opinion that the Doctor should always be a man.

Personally, now, I don't know whether it makes a difference to me as an adult but, when I was a kid I saw the Doctor as a kindly father figure, old as the hills, wise and entertaining, which made him quite a bit better than my real dad. The wife never knew her father and she says the Doctor is the kind of person who she would have loved to have as a dad. I never needed a mother figure as she was always there when I needed her and was plenty cool enough.

1 person likes this

I'm open minded about having a female doctor.

What it does need, more than anything, are decent scripts. While the last two episodes were quite good, the rest of the series, and indeed the last three or for seasons have been pretty dire.

Hopefully, the new producer chappie will bring some inspiration to the show and lose the "the sonic screwdriver is the answer to all our get-outs" syndrome.

Graham

4 people like this

I think of myself as a pretty liberal-minded guy (by American standards, anyway), but this would have been where I got off. Happily, I can escape the ignominy of my apparently-latent sexism rearing its vile head by the simple expedient of having hated all post-Seventh Doctor stuff anyway. I'm sure this will be no better than all the nu-Who that's come before. Phew!

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Ugh.  I loathe this actor.  The wife and I are just gonna skip it. If it's good, I'll Netflix it. If it's not good, I won't have wasted my time.

If they were going female, I was hoping for Coleman as well.  (Favorite actor from Broad church)

I thought Sarah Parish was another great choice.  I also kinda wanted Michelle Gomez, but that would have been confusing. 

(Huge Missy fan here.)

Edited by Thud4444

I did actually think that Michelle Gomez would have made an interesting twist. She certainly had the gravity to fill the role.

1 person likes this

Just heard this actress on the radio; I don't think her voice has the right tone and force for being the Doctor

9 hours ago, Procopius said:

I think of myself as a pretty liberal-minded guy (by American standards, anyway), but this would have been where I got off. Happily, I can escape the ignominy of my apparently-latent sexism rearing its vile head by the simple expedient of having hated all post-Seventh Doctor stuff anyway. I'm sure this will be no better than all the nu-Who that's come before. Phew!

Sooo, reading between the lines, this is not a vote in favour of the new doctor? ;)

Steve.

7 hours ago, GrahamS said:

Graham,

I've just followed that link, almost made me fnar my shreddies*!  If you're going to link to funny stuff like that can you at least warn us not to read it whilst eating our breakfast?  Thank you!

6 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Just heard this actress on the radio; I don't think her voice has the right tone and force for being the Doctor

According to my wife and daughter who have watched Broadchurch, she did a respectable Dorset accent in that given she's a Yorkshire lass, so I'm hoping some of that there drama school acting training that they do may help her project the right gravitas when it comes time to save the universe.

Wait and see is what I say.

*Word of caution here, you really don't want to fnar shreddies, it causes them to get caught in the sinuses which can be painful until the snot softens them.  Similar effects can be found with other breakfast cereals I'm told.

1 person likes this

This could go either way. I stopped watching the old series when Sylvester McCoy became the Doctor, but it had been going down hill for a while. The new series is getting a bit limp too.

I predict:

There will be snow in the Christmas episode.

There will be a time travel episode featuring London.

There will be a "claustrophobia" episode set on a spaceship/spacestation/submarine.

There will be an episode with human colonists carving out a new frontier.

There will be an episode with an evil Corporation.

There will be an episode with a missunderstood monster.

2 people like this

Well - I think it's a great move. Gives the character a fresh breath, allows for some different plot lines; and she's a top actor too.
The fact is - Dr Who is fictional - so in my book a "girly" Yorkshire accent is just as capable of saving the universe as a Scottish one, a gritty Mancunian one, or a barking mad RADA-esque on ( Tom Baker of course).

Over the years we've seen very strong female co-stars with some of the Doc's companions, and seen other characters be replaced by female incarnations (so to speak) - Missy of course, but also Kate Stewart, reprising her fathers role in UNIT. So why not the Doctor? ( and what wonderfully latent sexism it is too, to consider that a Doctor can only be man...)

Give it a chance- you may ... just ... despite yourselves ... enjoy it!

Jonners, looking forward to Christmas with yet another reason now.

5 people like this

Your all missing the point ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

She,s a women

She,s from Yorkshire :frantic:

Daleks Cyberman whatever

:mg::oops:

You don,t stand a chance  

8 people like this

Quite literally...who? :blink:

Just now, AngstROM said:

Think younger Nora Batty

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, AngstROM said:

I've had the same thought about every incarnation of the Doctor since I started watching in 1980, I've never seen any of the actors previously or if I have I haven't remembered them.

I think the unknown helps for me to suspend disbelief.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Stu_davros said:

I've had the same thought about every incarnation of the Doctor since I started watching in 1980, I've never seen any of the actors previously or if I have I haven't remembered them.

I think the unknown helps for me to suspend disbelief.

Suspending disbelief meself right now! Surely Mr Capaldi was a 'presence' before being utterly wasted therein by very poor scripting...? If The Thick Of It/In The Loop (and lots else besides) aren't ringing any bells, howzabout Christopher Eccleston's (edgiest and best of the current lot, IMO) previous...? And I'm not remotely sleb-driven! :wonder:

3 hours ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Think younger Nora Batty

Careful there, Sir -some of us are too easily inflamed! 

1 person likes this