Churchill I/II in Tunisia

Seahawk

Tunisia is the only place, barring Dieppe, where Churchill I and IIs saw action though according to New Vanguard 4 some even soldiered on until the battles on the Gothic Line in Italy

This is possibly a photo of such a tank, showing it had been reworked with some Mk.III characteristics such as full track covers and possibly improved air intakes:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=churchill+i+tank&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjJvsOy

Is anyone aware of any other photos of these early (pre Mk.III) Churchills in action or any sources of decent information on their service there?  I have a hankering to model one based on a Hasegawa kit with parts from Dragon (or even a Dragon Mk.III with a Hasegawa turret).

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Seahawk

Thanks for that.  Like the look of BUSHMILLS IV but have a profound mistrust of profiles and would prefer to work from a photo.

Sounds if Chris Meddings produces his own range of transfers.  Anyone know the name he trades under?  Expect they're 1/35 anyway.

Edited by Seahawk

Chris Meddings had his decal set(s) sold through Inside the Armour, but he seems to be more busier with the publication aspect the past couple years.

373288.jpg

He still has a vendor site setup, which includes both an email and UK address:

http://www.insidethearmour.com/about.html

Can also contact him through facebook;

https://www.facebook.com/chris.insidethearmour?fref=ts

regards,

Jack

I'm fairly certain 1/35 scale judging by the serial number on the decal sheet.

He does seem to have done his share of research, but I'm thinking you could ask if any of his books are worth purchasing with regards to your interests.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2017 at 3:34 PM, Seahawk said:

Tunisia is the only place, barring Dieppe, where Churchill I and IIs saw action though according to New Vanguard 4 some even soldiered on until the battles on the Gothic Line in Italy

This is possibly a photo of such a tank, showing it had been reworked with some Mk.III characteristics such as full track covers and possibly improved air intakes:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=churchill+i+tank&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjJvsOy

Is anyone aware of any other photos of these early (pre Mk.III) Churchills in action or any sources of decent information on their service there?  I have a hankering to model one based on a Hasegawa kit with parts from Dragon (or even a Dragon Mk.III with a Hasegawa turret).

Thanks in advance.

Have a google round for information on the "Northern Irish Horse" Regiment.  There is a web site that has images of these early Churchills being used in Italy (where several of the decal options on the sheet above are from).

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Not quite what I was looking for but interesting nonetheless: Dennis Oliver's British Armour In Sicily and Italy has (p.52) a photo of a Churchill I still in service with 51 RTR during operations against the Gothic Line in August 1944.  Not enough detail visible to help much for modelling purposes, though.    IWM negative NA18088.

Hi Seahawk

An interesting choice of subject. Gerry Chester ran northirishhorse.net but it seems to have gone. If you can find it in an archive then there is/was plenty of information. In Italy the I/IIs carried a 3" howitzer in hull AND turret and many had Panzer III cupolas fitted.
Mr Chester appeared to be hard to contact with many failed attempts by others over the years. I think he was connected with the Regimental Association as well.