F-22 and F-16 HAVE GLASS V drop tank colours?

PaulR

Hallo,

Bit of an obscure question, but does anyone know what colour F-22 drop tanks, and the new HAVE GLASS V F-16 drop tanks are? The F-22 appears to be a dark grey (similar to but apparently lighter than FS36118), and HAVE GLASS V F-16s sometimes carry drop tanks that are a lot darker then normal. Once again, these HAVE GLASS V drop tanks appear to be a dark grey, but lighter than the sniper targeting pods (which I am assuming are FS36118). However, neither seem to have that metallic sheen associated with the F-22 or HAVE GLASS V F-16s -  I guess this makes sense, since they are going to be an expendable asset during operations. If anyone did know that would be handy for fitting out my 1/72 'stingers' OH coded F-16C BLK42 coming up for completion!

Thanks in advance, Paul

The colour you're looking for for the F-16's is FS36170, but as you correctly state they don't have the Have Glass treatment. However it's more common to see normal FS36270 painted tanks on F-16's and the variation in Greys will give you a more interesting model to look at.

For the F-22, I would say the tanks are 36118 as if I remember correctly they were developed for the F-15E as some sort of deployable tank( don't ask me what makes a deployable tank),  during OIF/OEF.

External drop tanks are not jettisoned as often as you may think, mostly it would be for an inflight emergency and during operations jets would fly with a configuration that they would most likely come home with.

Tanks also aren't matched to specific airframes, which is why no F-16s have had their tanks painted yet.

14 hours ago, scotthldr said:

For the F-22, I would say the tanks are 36118 as if I remember correctly they were developed for the F-15E as some sort of deployable tank( don't ask me what makes a deployable tank),  during OIF/OEF.

WRM, or War Reserve Material, tanks - see here:

http://zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=6002

Cheers,

Andre

The F-15 and its WRM ("Nestable") external tanks are MacAir, now Boeing, products, while the F-22 and its tanks are L-M produced, so it would be logical for the F-22 tanks to be based on the large 600 gallon tanks used by the F-16.  The F-22 external tanks are painted Gunship Gray FS #36118, while the pylons are a light gray, which looks to be Light Ghost Gray FS #36375 or Neutral Gray FS #36270 depending on the lighting.  Just google "F-22 external tanks", and there are plenty of pictures available.  LINK  Another LINK  A third LINK  And a fourth LINK.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Just jumping into this thread as it's very close to a question I've been wondering. I've got an F-22 kit and wonder about recreating the gold effect on the canopy. Any thoughts? 

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 0:43 PM, HP42 said:

Just jumping into this thread as it's very close to a question I've been wondering. I've got an F-22 kit and wonder about recreating the gold effect on the canopy. Any thoughts? 

Off the top of my pointed little head, maybe using a scrap piece of gold-tinted auto window tint film on the inside of the canopy? Not sure how well the film would conform to the curvature, but worth a try. You could probably get scrap pieces free from a local auto window tint firm. Got this idea from a fellow who used green tinted film  for the upper canopy windows on helicopter models, but I have yet to try it, as I think 1/72 scale transparencies might be too small. You could also try mixing a few drops of yellow food coloring with Future and apply to the inside of the canopy. That's as far as my thinking takes me, sorry!

Mike

• Like 1

I've had good results with spraying a very light misting coat of Alclad II Polished Brass over a coat of Tamiya X-22 Clear (which protects the plastic and allows stripping and starting again if you overdo the Alclad spray).

• Like 1

Thanks both, two very usable suggestions. :yes: I think I'll try the Alclad route first on some clear scrap transparency and see what happens before I commit to the real thing. Film also sound interesting...:think:

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:43 PM, HP42 said:

Try this LINK

Regards,

Murph

• Like 1