Fairey Swordfish I

Eduard Big Ed set used although a lot of the external replacement bits were unnecessary I thought, so I left them off. Before anyone has a go at me I think the following are wrong:

-incorrect fuselage roundel type

-live torpedo should have a yellow nose (according to an FAAM info board)

-the kit's PE wing bracing wires are wrong - they had a circular cross-section rather than flat

Eduard's pre-coloured wing folds are wrong - in real life they appear to be fabric covered and match the colours of the upper and lower camouflage.

Only found all this out after I had finished. Must do better research! Hope you like the photos nevertheless.

35572780360_216ac27356_b.jpg

35121695394_f1e9e98754_b.jpg

35121696074_72f9fbecf5_b.jpg

35920427506_35cdf02a43_b.jpg

35152082193_4e89b73892_b.jpg

35920428156_d97122eca9_b.jpg

Regards

J A

Edited by johnny akes
Better colour balanced photos
  • Like 58

That looks outstanding.  I particularly like the collector ring, which actually looks like a real heat-stained steel thing, rather than the bronze thingummy that so many builds seem to feature.

Lovely job.

• Like 2

On 19/07/2017 at 11:52 PM, bruce bay said:

That's really beautiful! Been wanting to attempt a Swordfish - but never tackled rigging before... And it seems a rough one to start on! 

Great build, and lovely finish on it. 

It's actually a good kit, no fit issues at all and I believe it is an upscaled version of the Tamiya 1/48 one so it's got to be good!

On 21/07/2017 at 8:11 AM, Airborne SF said:

Nice job, I'm building the same kit right now and I hope mine ends up half as nice!

If you haven't got there yet I would recommend you throw away the p/e rigging and use a thick thread instead, not only is the rigging not flat in real life but it was a pig trying to get it all to fit properly - the slightest bend or kink is very visible on what is of course meant to be a taut wire.

• Like 1

I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY.  I tried it at the start, and then gave up on it.  To anyone who made the PE work, you a better man (or woman) than me.  I ended up drilling through the top wing, and running .010 x .030 styrene through it.  First time I did it I taped all the styrene and then made the mistake of gluing with Tamiya thin set.  It softens the styrene, and since they were under tension, they all snapped.  I then redid the whole thing and glued it with super glue.  I built the wing as a separate piece with bracing between the lower wings.  After painting, I'll gently remove the braces and slide the wing onto the fuselage.  Man, I hope that works!!!

• Like 1