Hurricane in Finnish service

My (really not very good even by my standards) attempt at the new tool 1/48 airfix hurricane in finnish markings.

I started this about a month ago and have been plodding on and off at it.

The part that makes up well outer wing spar I suppose you'd call it was pretty warped and I had a bit of trouble getting it to stay true.  In fact when I came to attach wings to fuselage it became apparent I hadn't done it right :(

Anyway, painted with tamiya acrylics and aftermarket decals (which when I got them looked like they would dissolve but worked pretty well).

DSC_5427

DSC_5426

DSC_5428

and next to another hurricane (can you guess the kit maker??):

DSC_5429

• Like 38

If I'm honest I didn't really enjoy this build.

since getting back into modelling last year I've done 2 "old school" airfix kits and enjoyed those both but for whatever reason I just couldn't get on with this one.

4 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Nice weathering!  This bird has been around the bend a few times...

Yeah i think perhaps i left the oil wash on a bit too long ;)

The other Hurricane is the Pegasus snap together kit I think (from the funny coloured markings) which is basically a clone of the Hasegawa kit.

the upperwing roundels are way to far outboard though, and the spinner should be black..

this maybe of  use if you do more Hurricanes

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

The model has come out well, though I'm puzzled as why the wheel wells and gun bays are in grey-green? IIRC Airfix say use aluminium, 

see http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52968-hurricane-mk1-cockpit-colour/&

I have read other build reports where folks have found some new Airfix kits over engineered and fiddly, they do require very careful initial clean up, a missed mould line or sprue nib on some interior parts can cause misalignment problems later, even without warped bits.

Anyway, good job overall.

cheers

T

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

The other Hurricane is the Pegasus snap together kit I think (from the funny coloured markings) which is basically a clone of the Hasegawa kit.

the upperwing roundels are way to far outboard though, and the spinner should be black..

this maybe of  use if you do more Hurricanes

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

The model has come out well, though I'm puzzled as why the wheel wells and gun bays are in grey-green? IIRC Airfix say use aluminium, 

see http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52968-hurricane-mk1-cockpit-colour/&

I have read other build reports where folks have found some new Airfix kits over engineered and fiddly, they do require very careful initial clean up, a missed mould line or sprue nib on some interior parts can cause misalignment problems later, even without warped bits.

Anyway, good job overall.

cheers

T

10 points to that man!

i was quite surprised how dimension and shape wise the snap fix kit is almost the same as the new airfix one. Wings seem thicker.

yeah the wheel wells should have been ali but a bit of poetic licence was employed ;)

Hello Lawzer!

A Very Nice Hurricane you have there. More points for you finishing it in Winter War markings. Usually modellers choose the Continuation War scheme. A very nice detail are the gun ports; my grand father told me that at the beginning the covers were always painted with camouflage colours and later on with red dioxide paint or what ever paint was at hand.

To my eye the model has a little too much of weathering. At first they operated at Lake Pyhajarvi in south western Finland. The runways were ice and snow covered (a frozen lake). When they moved to Turku (old Artukainen airport) they operated on concrete runways.

We still have one Hurricane here in Finland in it's original paintwork. It seems that originally the landing gear bays were aluminium coloured as was the pilot's seat and cockpit framework.

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Lawzer!

A Very Nice Hurricane you have there. More points for you finishing it in Winter War markings. Usually modellers choose the Continuation War scheme. A very nice detail are the gun ports; my grand father told me that at the beginning the covers were always painted with camouflage colours and later on with red dioxide paint or what ever paint was at hand.

To my eye the model has a little too much of weathering. At first they operated at Lake Pyhajarvi in south western Finland. The runways were ice and snow covered (a frozen lake). When they moved to Turku (old Artukainen airport) they operated on concrete runways.

We still have one Hurricane here in Finland in it's original paintwork. It seems that originally the landing gear bays were aluminium coloured as was the pilot's seat and cockpit framework.

Best Regards,

Antti

Yes i think i either didn't thin down th oil wash enough or left it on too long.

• Like 1

That's a tidy build. It's one of those 'look again' schemes that draw you in to find out "what the heck?"

I have one about 80% done to go Finnish as well. Unfortunately I have chosen HU-456, '6' purely because of the name underneath the port cockpit, only to find out that that one was fabric winged, had 5 spoke wheels and a De Havilland spinner.

Given that most of the other Finnish Hurricanes have the mirror camouflage, I've consigned it to the back of the hangar as I can't face the hassle of stripping it back.

Trevor

5 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

That's a tidy build. It's one of those 'look again' schemes that draw you in to find out "what the heck?"

I have one about 80% done to go Finnish as well. Unfortunately I have chosen HU-456, '6' purely because of the name underneath the port cockpit, only to find out that that one was fabric winged, had 5 spoke wheels and a De Havilland spinner.

Given that most of the other Finnish Hurricanes have the mirror camouflage, I've consigned it to the back of the hangar as I can't face the hassle of stripping it back.

Trevor

Hi Trevor

ALL Finnish Hurricanes had 5 spoke wheels, De Havilland Spitfire propeller, and no rectangular access hatch on starboard side.  There has never been a kit which gets all this AFAIK.

I'm not sure what wings  HU456 has, shown below

Finnish-pilots-from-32ND-Squadron-with-H

note position of landing lights,  on fabric wing they are a bay closer inboard than metal winged. as shown below. hard to tell with all the people, 

3559753440_21aa4c4904_o.jpg

metal wing, if I had a decent grphics program on here I'd lay this shot over hc456 as they are about the same angle

1%2003.jpg

there is a book, Hurricane and Gladiator in Finnish service,  which has lots of photos,  but I ond't have a copy...as yet.   That may have the answer.

6 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Lawzer!

Best Regards,

Antti

Hi Antti

I linked a post with photos of the surviving Finnish Hurricane, and yes, aluminum paint inside apart from  cockpit walls and rear bulkhead.

It's a great time capsule.

interesting detail on the gun ports.

Do you have the Hurricane/Gladiator book? 

cheers

T

• Like 2

Hi Lawzer,

Great Continuation War Hurricane!

Tony,

I have that book! Keskinen, K. & Stenman, K., 2005, Suomen Ilmavoimien Historia No. 25, Hurricane & Gladiator, Painoyhtyma, Loviisa, PP. 96, ISBN. 952-99432-0-2.

1. There is at least one Hurricane with the rectangular panel on the starboard side. P. 30 - 31 contain four images of Hurricane IIA, (ex-RAF Z2585), of the Soviet Air Force after crash landing at Tuoppajarvi in mid February 1942 and its subsequent recovery on 19/02/1942. The caption states that it was returned to flying condition and joined the Finnish Air Force as HC-465. 

Spinner, on 'landing' is the more pointed, thinner type. Undercarriage unseen!

2. HU-456. P. 7 lists the received Hurricanes with fabric wings, HU 451, 455, 456 and 462.

HTH!

Christian

Edited by wyverns4
Finger fumbles
  • Like 1

Hi Christian

I'd forgotten about the captured Mk.II, the Finns captured several mostly  Mk.II's, Z2585 was a 'bitsa'  IIRC from various airframes, and I think has IIB wings .

My comments were about the 12 MkI's originally bought.  

I've seen photos of 4 which were salvaged, (white 42/Z2585, )

being salvaged

Hurricane-MkII-USSR-152IAP-W42-Z2585-for

, White 60/BM959,

319fa0568eaa7948f5bc34c483f11396--hawker

white 55/Z2916

Hurricane-MkIIb-USSR-White-55-RAF-331Sqn

Z3577

finn-22.jpg

IIRC this was the fuselage used on HC465

what you describe are just standard Mk.II (or even later Mk.I) features.

regarding the Mk.I's listed with fabric wings, have a scour of the photos,  and look for the metal vs fabric identfiers.

I've seen mistakes made in books and the repeated and repeated, in the case of Hurricanes there are example in the respected works of Francis K Mason that are commonly repeated (Mk.IIa series one Hurricane same length as Mk.I, which it can't be, and Sea Hurricane IC was widely used with 100 being built, it wasn't) 

Christain, could you tell me approx how many photos of Hurricane are in the book, I can get one, but it's about £35 and that's a fair chunk for a sight unseen book.

cheers

T

PS @Lawzer apolgies for the thread drift,  hope of interest!

Edited by Troy Smith
PS
  • Like 1

Hi Troy,

The book is rather good. Pages 1 - 37, (of 96), cover the Hurricane. As just over a third of the tome is devoted to the Hurricane it  might be viewed as an expensive luxury. But in mitigation to this it is a niche subject and the author is an acknowledged and thorough expert in the field of Finnish Aviation. Kari Stenman has retired from publishing and it is unlikely that there will be a better book published, (but we can hope!).

Picture count-wise, there is one colourized photo, (front cover) and 65 black and white; a couple are on one page and the rest are distributed between 2 - 3 per page. In addition there are 6 colour plates. Two of your images, (first and third) are reproduced within the book and there are others of Z3577. Incidentally, this airframe is noted as only used to provide spare parts. Whether that means the whole fuselage is unclear.

There are a number of images of HU 456, including two on P.11 taken at Malmi in April 1940, (also P. 16(?), 17 and 20). In comparing the second of these two with the images you posted above it appears that the relationship between the landing lights and armament matches that of L1936.

HTH,

Christian

Edited by wyverns4
  • Like 2

On 18.7.2017 at 5:47 AM, Troy Smith said:

Hi Antti

I linked a post with photos of the surviving Finnish Hurricane, and yes, aluminum paint inside apart from  cockpit walls and rear bulkhead.

It's a great time capsule.

interesting detail on the gun ports.

Do you have the Hurricane/Gladiator book? 

cheers

T

Hello Troy!

Another interesting detail is that the original paint chipped away easily; especially at the leading edge colour demarcation line.

I have a book called "Englantilaiset hävittäjät" (British fighters) by Keskinen, Niska & Stenman. At least two different prints of this book exist.

Best Regards,

Antti