Italeri Hawk T1A - Red Arrows 50th Display Season - 1/48

Hi All,

As a stop gap between more detailed modelling projects, I decided to do a straight OOB build of the Italeri Hawk, because who doesn't need a Red Arrows aircraft in their collection. 

35105229164_a5166fd67b.jpg

I'm having some issues with the front seat positioning. The mounts seem to force the seat into the wrong positioning.  Has anyone else made this kit that can perhaps give me some pointers, or even photos of how they did it? All the builds I've found have been hit by the Photobucket money grab issue.

(please excuse the current paint job. Just getting some base colours on and was dry fitting and discovered this issue).

Notice the front seat area has mountings angled down towards the front. The rear one has less mountings and they are horizontal.

35945371175_c24e40c325_z.jpg

Position 1, Clearly not right, placed on the higher step.

35136071823_83cbb7bd84_z.jpg

position 2, doesn't seem right either. Placed on the lower step, it seems too far forward. I can't get the seat flush with the back vertical section, and the base horizontal mounting section because they're not at right angles to each other, but the seat is. Please help!!! :worry:

35813072671_0ff92ac454_z.jpg

• Like 1

I've made a small amount more progress, but have hit another snag and still have the seat placement issue from post 1 unfortunately. :(

I've closed up the main fuselage and will finish this in a parked position with the step (I think that's what it is) down.  I have to say, for an OOB build of such a famous aircraft, the instructions are terrible. I've not been modelling for long, and my skills show that, but I'm not a 1st timer either and from the perspective of a kid getting this as a gift from gran, it'd be a mess. 

Anyway onto the pics:

The decals for the seats and cockpit instrument panels aren't bad. They've got some nice detail and fit fairly well. The seat belts are a nice touch, and while no where near as nice as their photo-etch equivalents, for a beginner they're a really nice touch IMHO.

35585996970_2bcc0570c2_z.jpg

Still having issues with the front seat placement. If anyone has any pics of theirs, or advice I'd be REALLY glad to hear it. Below are some pics of how it looks at the mo. I've placed the seat in its most comfortable position, but even here it's wanting to lean forward more. 

35585996640_72f085f046_z.jpg

35164987263_dee4edc354_z.jpg

Now onto my new problem/confusion.

The instructions say to paint the inside of the intakes White, and use decals 12A, 13A and 14A... The issue is they're also white. What's the point? Are one of the colours wrong? Should the insides be a different colour?

35842407421_f81831195e_z.jpg

Any advice would be really gratefully received and appreciated.

Cheers

James

• Like 1

The intakes appear to be red at the front and will likely transition to white somewhere further down the trunking. If I were building this kit, I would spray the intakes red and apply the white decals as instructed.

Red.arrows.pilot.arp.jpg

Mark

Edited by madcat911
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, madcat911 said:

The intakes appear to be red at the front and will likely transition to white somewhere further down the trunking. If I were building this kit, I would spray the intakes red and apply the white decals as instructed.

Mark

Fantastic image, thank you. I've been so focused on looking for photos displaying the seat heights and angles that I hadn't even thought to look at an image of the intakes. :oops:

The instructions are clearly incorrect. Just another example of the poor instructions provided in this kit.  I have to say, I've built a few Italeri models and I have never experienced instructions like this. It's an easy enough kit to figure out, but should you have to?

Anyhow, not much to report as waiting on a couple of red paints to arrive. I'm not overly keen on using the Humbrol acrylics as haven't seen any particularly positive reviews on them, and don't have easy access to the Xtracrylics. I've gone for Vallejo Vermillion as it's meant to be a match for the Humbrol Signal Red, which is meant to be a non gloss version of their Red Arrows colour, and also the Testors Gloss Red. Ideally the Testors one will be the correct shade, and being gloss, be a great result, but we'll see. :)

p.s. Any further help with the seats would gratefully received!

Cheers

James

Right. Paints arrived. Being that they are the insides of the intakes, I figure they're the perfect test subjects, to pick the best colour or throw them both out and also to understand how they airbrush.

I saw in another post that a yellow base helps give the red a more vibrant finish, so after the standard Vallejo grey primer I ran the yellow over the top. Nothing really to note here other than the 50/50 mix with thinners worked a treat as it seems to always do with the vallejo Model colours. 

35885807381_9fd599a6de_z.jpg

Once dry, I used the Vallejo Vermillion on the top two pieces and the Model Master Acryl Gloss Red on the bottom 2. (The Model Master paint pot is a terrible design! I hate having to clean droppers/pipettes or syringes. :lol:)

35885807251_fb85afa733_z.jpg

I've tried to colour correct the images as much as possible;e. The photos were taken on standard printer A4 white paper, so hopefully that assists in understanding the colours.

Now I don't think either of them are particular off colour, and both need some serious gloss attention. Not sure how I'm going to achieve this yet, but I'll figure something out. I've seen some posts about using a very fine sand paper to buff the paint and then gloss coat varnish to complete the look, so may look at giving this a go.

Edited by James B
Add clarification regarding colour correction.
  • Like 1

I've now primed the model using Vallejo grey primer, based the entire model with yellow as per the test pieces above and then used the Model Master Gloss red and applied several light coats, building the colour slowly. 

35349563824_352bac8093_z.jpg

Is it wrong that I quite like the matte yellow finish?

35349563274_cdf452ecac_z.jpg

I am now working through the task of applying all the decals.

Edited by James B
  • Like 1