Tamiya RAF colour

Johnc61

Just seen these Tamiya colours after a lot of looking around. Do they make sense? Are there any other known acrylic brands that have a well defined colour range (that can be seen somewhere)?

INTERIOR GREEN:-XF5 Flat Green: 1 + XF21 Sky: 3 + XF65 Field Grey: 1

DARK GREEN:-XF58 Olive Green: 1 + XF62 Olive Drab: 5

DARK EARTH:-XF52 Flat Earth: 1 + XF64 Red Brown: 1

OCEAN GRAY:-XF18 Medium Blue: 1 + XF21 Sky: 2 + XF24 Dark Grey: 2

MIDSTONE:-XF59 Desert Yellow: 1 + XF60 Dark Yellow: 1

SKY:-XF21 Sky

MED. SEA GRAY:-XF19 Sky Grey: 3 + XF54 Dark Sea Grey: 5

AZURE BLUE:-X16 Flat Aluminium: 2 + XF2 Flat White: 10 + XF18 Medium Blue: 5

11 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Tamiya now do XF81 RAF Green, XF82 Ocean Grey and XF83 Medium Sea Grey if that helps....

IanJ

Thanks. That will make it easier. One of the Tamiya paint charts I looked at didn't show those so, when I searched the paint numbers you quoted I've found different Tamiya paint charts with those on them. Great.

• Like 1

On 16 July 2017 at 14:37, stevehnz said:

Watch that mix for azure blue too, x16 is purple gloss, xf16 is aluminium. Azure has a distinctly lilac tinge to it & needs some purple though I've not tried thus mix.

Steve.

Good spot! I assumed they were all XF, as you say, it is

Back when, before Humbrol had released their revised mix of Azure blue, there was a huge thread on the subject, now buggered by the Photobollox debacle I've no doubt, which looked at different Azure blues available. I played around with various mixes using Humbrol paints & came up with a mix of 20 parts white (34) to 3 parts French Blue (14) to 1 part of Purple (68). To me that Tamiya mix would give a far to dark & slightly muddy colour by using XF18 (Med Blue) I would use XF8 Flat Blue as a cleaner bluer blue & similar ratios of the X16 & XF2 as I used in the Humbrol mix, ie 20 parts XF2, 3 parts XF8 & 1 part X16. XF8 being slightly darker tha Hu14, I'd think maybe a few more parts of XF2 would be required. Sorry, the Azure thread became an obsession for a while. :)

Steve.

Tamiya's suggested mixes in their kit instructions are not always the best.  There's a number of modelers who've come up with alternative mixes that are much closer.

For RAF Dark Earth, I use Marty Sanford's suggested mix: 4 parts XF52 + 2 pt XF3 + 1 pt XF51 + 1 pt XF2.  The green in the XF51 Khaki Drab kills the overly reddish hue of the Tamiya XF52 Dark Earth.

Mr. Sanford has also shared a good recipe for Azure Blue using Tamiya acrylics:  20 parts XF-2 + 3 pt XF-8 + 3 pt X-16 + 1 pt XF-18.

Both of these mixes closely match the chips in the illustrious RAF Museum book on wartime colors and camouflage.

You can find a lot with a good internet search.  Mike Starmer has also posted a lot of good mixes using Tamiya acrylics. 

Edited by GPBooth
  • Like 3

I copied this off the Internet a few years ago.

Tony Bell's Tamiya RAF Mixes

RAF Roundel Red

50% XF7 Flat Red
25% X7 Gloss Red
25% XF64 Red Brown

RAF Roundel Blue
75% XF8 Blue
25% X18 Semi Gloss Black

RAF Roundel Yellow
95% XF3 Flat Yellow
5% X7 Gloss Red

RAF Dark Green
75% XF81 Dark Green 2 (RAF)
25% XF49 Khaki

RAF Dark Earth
85% XF49 Khaki
15% XF52 Flat Earth
(note: I still prefer Gunze H72 Dark Earth straight from the bottle)

RAF Ocean Grey
90% XF82 Ocean Gray
10% X2 White

RAF Medium Sea Grey
90% XF83 Medium Sea Grey
10% X2 White

RAF Sky
75% XF21 Sky
25% X2 White

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. There may be a lot on the internet, but on here you get to know and see what actually works. Real shame about photo *uckit. So many forums (not just modelling, lots of types) have lost so many pictures. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Johnc61 said:

Thanks everyone. There may be a lot on the internet, but on here you get to know and see what actually works. Real shame about photo *uckit. So many forums (not just modelling, lots of types) have lost so many pictures. 

I hear you about S@#TBUCKET! I was just googling Tollerton Fairings and there are a lot of forums and website without pictures. All that information lost! Makes me think of doing bad nasty things to those PB " people ".

Chris

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I hear you about S@#TBUCKET! I was just googling Tollerton Fairings and there are a lot of forums and website without pictures. All that information lost! Makes me think of doing bad nasty things to those PB " people ".

Chris

Yup.  :angry:

Steve.