Scamell pioneer breakdown tractor

Hewy

1 hour ago, Andrew Jones said:

A common fallacy when painting " Mickey Mouse " is to carry it on to horizontal surfaces . With this style of camouflage and shadow shading all surfaces viewed from directly above should be painted in solid darker colour , not patterned.

Andrew

So andrew, are you saying the whole roof should be the darker colour, i have to admit to following the paint instructions here, but obviously i would like to get it right, there's a dearth of examples in the mm camouflage scheme on the net, any assistance would get you mentioned in dispatches, cheers

Glynn

1 hour ago, Big Person said:

Looking really good Glynn, what paints are you using?

Tamiya xf 49 and tamiya  xf63 ,  lightned and darkend to varying  degrees with a touch of xf 2 white, both thinned with mr hobby laquer thinners,

thanks andy

24 minutes ago, Jim Wasley said:

Mine just burnt and crashed FANTASTIC craft man ship.

Get back on it jim, c'mon 

Cheers

Glynn

43 minutes ago, Hewy said:

So andrew, are you saying the whole roof should be the darker colour, i have to admit to following the paint instructions here, but obviously i would like to get it right, there's a dearth of examples in the mm camouflage scheme on the net, any assistance would get you mentioned in dispatches, cheers

Glynn

Exactly that , the whole of the roof , tops of mudguards ,bonnet and tool boxes should be in the darker colour, see Matador models link ,fig 7 for official diagram of foliage pattern , of which mickey mouse was a variant.

http://www.matadormodels.co.uk/tank_museum/camo charts/cooperCamotimeline-Britishsheet(2).htm

Andrew

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Andrew Jones said:

Exactly that , the whole of the roof , tops of mudguards ,bonnet and tool boxes should be in the darker colour, see Matador models link ,fig 7 for official diagram of foliage pattern , of which mickey mouse was a variant.

http://www.matadormodels.co.uk/tank_museum/camo charts/cooperCamotimeline-Britishsheet(2).htm

Andrew

Seems a minor repaint is in order, i appreciate it andy

Glynn

So would there still be the lighter colour on the sides of the mudguards or just overall dark

Edited by Hewy

5 hours ago, Hewy said:

Tamiya xf 49 and tamiya  xf63 ,  lightned and darkend to varying  degrees with a touch of xf 2 white, both thinned with mr hobby laquer thinners,

thanks andy

Get back on it jim, c'mon 

Cheers

Glynn

Thanks Glynn,just my thoughts,I will keep on keeping on.Cheers.

• Like 1

I've  had a repaint, hopfully it will be the last, theres some touch ups to do, but I'm holding fire until i can gauge reactions, or I'm told its downright wrong:tmi:

Everything is only resting in place no glue, still some bits to do, right or wrong please let me know, 

Thanks 

Glynn 

2017-10-16_09-16-17

2017-10-16_09-15-40

2017-10-16_09-15-22

• Like 14

Hi Glynn, I don't know which is historically correct, but all the models I've seen have the pattern as in your original paint job. That also applies to vehicles at 1940s events too. The solid upper colour just doesn't look right 😀

At your suggestion, I've started a thread of my build too!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Jones said:

That looks about spot on to me ,just what I'd expect to see.

Andrew

2 hours ago, colin said:

Wel if the photos are anything to go by it looks spot on to me also

1 hour ago, AndyRM101 said:

Looks good to me

Andy:cat:

Thanks gentlemen, if it passes muster, I'll move along

2 hours ago, Big Person said:

Hi Glynn, I don't know which is historically correct, but all the models I've seen have the pattern as in your original paint job. That also applies to vehicles at 1940s events too. The solid upper colour just doesn't look right 😀

At your suggestion, I've started a thread of my build too!

Regarding the upper color andy, i feel it always best to err on the lighter side of the appropriate colour as the weathering, washes,  oils and what ever else gets put on will usually darken the finish, cheers

Thanks, Glynn 

8 hours ago, Hewy said:

Regarding the upper color andy, i feel it always best to err on the lighter side of the appropriate colour as the weathering, washes,  oils and what ever else gets put on will usually darken the finish, cheers

Thanks, Glynn 

I always do mine slightly lighter too for that very reason. It's surprising how much the washes etc will darken the colours.

Best Wishes

Andy

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hewy said:

Thanks, Glynn 

It's now correct in both lay out and colour as per MTP 20 & 46 so carry on and as you were,

The black is not 'black' at all and is actually referred to as 'slate' which varied in darkness right up to an Anthracite shade, Mike Starmer suggests that Revell slate grey is a good match for it........ The paint applied to canvas' could be darker up to black as some were made from bitumen to increase flexibility on them, but that depended on supply, the rest were painted with distemper paint so we are back to dark grey again with that.

For future reference from MTP 46, this is pre 'Mickey Mouse', all that changed was the top colour lay out and the move from SCC2 to SCC15 when the British adopted OD as their main camo colour....

37701533816_7c3c92d70b_c.jpg13987641_1768560233423178_2221675716792049826_o 

37491730490_f06046e2f0_b.jpgcamoscheme 

37491729210_349241e786_c.jpg21742869_10155685642129304_7707917062305747173_n

ATB

Sean

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Looking excellent to me Glynn! Very nicely done! :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Stix,  most kind thankyou, i appreciate it 

3 hours ago, Big Person said:

Glynn, it looks like I owe you an apology about the upper colour. It definitely should be all the dark colour!

Andy

Andy, definitely no apology necessary, constructive criticism is the best way to go,

Sometimes as on this model for me,  you go in blind, absolutely no research,  or not much, i wasn't  knowledgeable  of the subject at all ,but  it makes the build interesting because you tend to spend free Internet time researching,  but alas there's a dearth of pictures on the net of these vehicles in this  camo pattern, so I'm open to all advice and its all welcome, cheers keep up the good work on yours

Glynn 

Edited by Hewy
Spelling,