Scamell pioneer breakdown tractor

Hewy

Hello , i usually build aircraft, with a few exceptions,(boredom,mojo,nothing in the stash that tickles my fancy)which led me to building a universal carrier in the made in gb group build section,which is nearing completion, and that i have thoroughly enjoyed weathering ,  and this caught my eye on my last model buying excursion,i dont want to be held by time constraints of the gb so I'll build it here in this forum if anyone is interested the updates will be steady and it'll be mainly oob , i must admit to knowing nothing about this vehicle what so ever I'll research as i go, and fingers crossed it'll all come out acceptable, any advice and pointers will be very gratefully received, cheers

Glynn

2017-07-15_05-01-542017-07-15_05-02-442017-07-15_05-02-18

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Saw this release and was also enticed away from the usual aviation subjects. I'll be watching with interest.

A change is as good as a rest, or so they say, 

25 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice one, I saw one built at the Salisbury show it looked very nice indeed 

I've not seen one in the flesh yet ozzy but initial impressions are that it is a very good kit, fit wise ,I've built and sprayed the wheels rubber black ready for weathering and the fit was sublime, as you can see in the photo above its a strange assembly,but  real nice with next to no seams at all ,  cheers

glynn

• Like 1

Interested to see how this one goes. I've ridden in one of these at a stately 21mph. Believe it or not, our LAD in Germany was still using these in the 60's.

John.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Interested to see how this one goes. I've ridden in one of these at a stately 21mph. Believe it or not, our LAD in Germany was still using these in the 60's.

John.

That fast? Mind they only had 100 or so bhp didn't they john ,bet they were torqey motors though, must have been pretty bullet proof to last that long,

1 hour ago, clive_t said:

Interesting looking subject, looking forward to seeing how this develops :popcorn:

Thanks clive , hopfully it'll develop well,

I'm going to have one side of the engine with the panel off , maybe both if i can find some decent pictures of the exaust side,  so I've done a little bit of engine busying up this morning I'll do a bit more when i can dry fit it to check if anything fouls  ,also I've painted the tyres rubber black with a dash over after with  thinned grey 

,rims and a weather next,

Cheers

glynn

2017-07-16_01-44-01

• Like 13

This is looking most promising. I'm guessing 1/35 by the look of the wheel against the sprue cutters, but no idea whose kit it is, I'm more of a truck nut than an armour modeller so it's a bit out of my zone.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

This is looking most promising. I'm guessing 1/35 by the look of the wheel against the sprue cutters, but no idea whose kit it is, I'm more of a truck nut than an armour modeller so it:s a bit out of my zone.

Steve.

Thanks steve ,yes 1/35  the kit is by ibg ,a polish company , i think it came out earlier this year along with the scammell tank transporter, and artillery tractor,

Cheers

Glynn 

• Like 1

Stunning start, where did you get the engine references? Imam getting the new Scammel transporter so may try some extra work on that....

• Like 1

There's something not quite right with the cab of this model , not figured it out completely yet , but the main fault is the windscreen . It should be rectangular , but the kits screen tapers at the sides , which is definitely not correct.

Andrew

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robw_uk said:

Stunning start, where did you get the engine references? Imam getting the new Scammel transporter so may try some extra work on that....

Thanks rob, i just dialled it in on google scammell pioneer engine, theres also a few walk arounds on the net , yes the transporter caught my eye too,

58 minutes ago, Andrew Jones said:

There's something not quite right with the cab of this model , not figured it out completely yet , but the main fault is the windscreen . It should be rectangular , but the kits screen tapers at the sides , which is definitely not correct.

Andrew

Andrew I've read most of the accuracy reports and yes there are some to do with the cab, but to me they arn't  glaring, I've just built a hobby  boss f-111 in 1/48 and there was inaccuracies galore on that ranging from mild to downright wrong i got bogged down correcting some of those, not this time ,,maybe the thunder models one will be more pleasing to the eye, I've not read any reports on that one yet, cheers, 

18 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Nice start Glynn. I like what you have done so far with the engine. :thumbsup::popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Ah thanks stix still trying to find decent exaust side pictures,

Glynn 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew Jones said:

Andrew

Andrew after further research it looks like ibg have used references of the pioneer and the later explorer on the cab area, this would explaine the tapered sides ,

Glynn

Edited by Hewy

3 hours ago, Steve_farrier said:

I hope this link works. There are a fair few scammel in this. The blue one is a friend of mines. I hope it helps 

http://machinesview.com/peterbuilt-transport-truck-stuck-in-mud/

Thanks steve, I'll have a gander at that later,

I've prepared a few sub assemblys , and realised i had built up two spare wheels and missed the one with the nuts on so this had to be disassembled and fixed, done without to much drama,

2017-07-17_06-01-06

2017-07-17_06-00-47

Cheers 

Glynn

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Well rescued ;)

Been there, done that!

Some nicely detailed parts in this kit :yes:

It's not the first time clive for something like this, i was too engrossed in making sure the tread matched up :tmi: ,ive tacked the wheels on with a drop of tamiya thin, and set the axles with tamiya quick setting mek, i wanted to make sure all the tyres were grounded come the end ill remove them in 10 minutesor so , 

Glynn

2017-07-17_06-53-57

• Like 8

Hey @Hewy I hope he video helps. :-) 

also sode note... and I might be wrong. ... but looks like your tread pattern on the front tyres os going the wrong way. Just need to swap them over? :-) 

i made a mistake with my last big build and glued my tank commanders seat upside down... didn't notice until after painting when I fitted he turret up. 

Having driven a scammel (the blue one in the video)  ill be watching this build with interest. 

• Like 2

I think I'll tag along here.  I have a hunch that the Scamell Pioneer tank transporter is not far behind as a new release.  Watching this build would be a good place to start with this new kit.  Thanks.

Thanks steve thats a nice video, on the wheels, with the directional tyres on this vehicle at least,  the front wheels were usually switched round in the other direction, apparently this helped tread wear and with them not being driven wheels there was no detrimental effect, that being said  i only fitted them temporarily so i could  ensure the axles were in the right position for making sure all the tyres were grounded,they have now  been removed now,cheers

4 hours ago, RichO said:

I think I'll tag along here.  I have a hunch that the Scamell Pioneer tank transporter is not far behind as a new release.  Watching this build would be a good place to start with this new kit.  Thanks.

Thanks rich,really nice fitting and detailed kit, one pointer so far the instructions are in cad form and some elements are not too clear on the chassis , you have to take care you dont reverse some parts which won't become apparent till a couple of pages into the booklet, goes together very well though

Cheers 

Glynn

• Like 2

A bit more on the scammell ,i removed the molded on top step on the fuel tank and made a new one out of brass, i also added a few dents ,also along with building up the timber rear, ive fitted the winch and added a little bit of detail,apparently 2 rods come off the winch and enter the back of the cab, theres a technical drawing that i used from tinternet for a sympathetic likeness,also i built up the front tow  bar ,which is  a mix of plastic and pe,   I'm going to give the chassis an undercoat and a spray of alclad steel next

2017-07-20_01-48-10

2017-07-20_01-48-31

2017-07-20_02-04-24

Cheers 

Glynn

• Like 17

20 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Looks good!

Thanks phil, been a bit of progress on the tractor ,first off i gave the chassis a spray of halfords silver from a tin ,( I've ran low on alclad)then a coat of  hairspray ,then grey ,a bit more hair spray and then xf 49 tamiya khaki,and did a bit of chipping,when this drys I'll give it a targeted wash, and highlight some bits of detail and see what else is needed, also I've painted the tyres,

And undercoated the wood on the back and the floor of the cab and I'll have a go at the heavy foot wear of the timber floors with ,vallejo old and new wood effects,also painted the dented fuel tank

2017-07-22_05-15-52

2017-07-22_04-45-59

2017-07-22_05-12-55

2017-07-22_04-46-55

2017-07-22_05-08-43

2017-07-22_04-47-25

2017-07-22_04-47-08

I removed two rods i added on the engine, I'll redo these when i can dry fit, i can do a better job than those,there's some more to be painted on this its just a basic wash so far ,the same painting method as the chassis but light blue grey instead of khaki

2017-07-22_04-46-29

2017-07-22_04-46-14

Cheers for looking tips and pointers most welcome

Glynn

• Like 13