***Finished*** Revell 146-200 Manx Airlines

zebra

Time for me to join in. I'm building the Revell BAe 146-200 as G-MIMA of Manx Airlines, using decals from F-DCAL. This one ticks a couple of boxes for me, since I worked (briefly) at Woodford (although this one was built at Hatfield) and aircraft with a Manx connection is a bit of developing theme for me. I don't know why I've not built a 146 before, it's a shame the kit is out of production as it looks quite nice, but once I found the F-DCAL Manx decals I had to get one. 

I'm prioritising the Antonovs I'm building in the From Russia With Love GB so this will take a bit of a back seat, but nevertheless looks like it might be a fairly quick build. I'll probably get started tomorrow.

Obligatory box and sprue shot to start with:

Next project - Manx 146

Edited by zebra
finished
  • Like 3

That's a great choice,  I am looking forward to watching this one.

I worked at Chadderton in Production Planning on the 146, producing the top level build programme for the major assemblies that the site was responsible for (Rear Cabin, Vestibule Drum, Tail Fuselage, Airbrakes and Spine which included the section forward of this joint) basically everything, except for the empennage, from the fuselage joint behind the wing back. This plan was then used for scheduling the parts requirement down to the last bolt. 

Good Luck with this one, I'm sure it will be a great looking model.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2017 at 9:30 PM, nimrod54 said:

That's a great choice,  I am looking forward to watching this one.

I worked at Chadderton in Production Planning on the 146, producing the top level build programme for the major assemblies that the site was responsible for (Rear Cabin, Vestibule Drum, Tail Fuselage, Airbrakes and Spine which included the section forward of this joint) basically everything, except for the empennage, from the fuselage joint behind the wing back. This plan was then used for scheduling the parts requirement down to the last bolt. 

Good Luck with this one, I'm sure it will be a great looking model.

Cheers John. We did 6 weeks at Chad learning how to manipulate bits of metal (I was never very good at it). I remember practicing drilling holes for flush rivets in a bit of metal sheet - seemed harder than usual (we were all sweating a bit!) - instructor told us afterwards he'd given us some titanium alloy! It's a long time ago now. I seem to remember being pretty impressed with a vast CNC milling machine producing components for (I think) A320 wings and the vast amounts of swarf it was creating. The other lasting memory of Chad is of one of the other lads finding a staple in the middle of a brussels sprout in the canteen... I thought the food was better than at Woodford but then mine never came with any free stationery!

• Like 1

It sounds like my attempt in the training school. We went around the different sections performing tasks that would eventually produce tools for us to use on the job. I remember being on the fitting section filing a block of steel that, after visits to the other sections, become a scribing block. This block was destined to be the base, I managed to get one side flat but could I get it square? Errr No! Two weeks of filing and scraping without success. I carried that block around the different sections in my toolbox until I came to the milling section where one of our first tasks was to machine the same block to shape and size. :rant:

We had a large milling section at Chadderton and I remember those machines going in, IIRC there was four of them that produced the wing spars, further down the line there were other machines which machined stringers.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've been neglecting this GB but have been slowly making progress on the 146. I've got it assembled, apart from the engines which will go on after it's been painted, there are a few things to clean up but I'm not far from getting some paint on. A bit of adjustment was needed to get a good join between the rear of the one-piece wing and the top of the fuselage, whilst the top half of the fairing in front of the wing needed a little filler to blend it in. Also the landing lights at the wing roots are in the wrong place - they'd be shining out to the side! - so I've filled them, will see what I can do to replace them with a decal. Aside from these small jobs it's been a quick, smooth build so far.

Here's how it's looking:

146 WIP

• Like 3

That's coming along nicely. I had planned to build the three series types several years ago, but only completed a 146-100 in Australian airExpress colours. Looking at this makes me want to dig out the other two and get those finished.

Looking forward to seeing this in its Manx livery.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

That's coming along nicely. I had planned to build the three series types several years ago, but only completed a 146-100 in Australian airExpress colours. Looking at this makes me want to dig out the other two and get those finished.

Looking forward to seeing this in its Manx livery.

Thanks John.

It's a nice little kit and I'd like to make more of them, there are some nice colour schemes to do. But the kit seems to have become rare enough to start commanding slightly silly prices. Having bought the Manx decals I needed the kit and wanted to do this one enough to buy the cheapest one I could find on eBay, but I don't think I'll be buying any more until Revell re-releases it. Should have added a few to the stash years ago I suppose.

• Like 1

Looking good so far Julian.  It really is a lovely little kit.  I have a couple in the stash but I still hope Revell will re-release it.

In case you aren't aware, DACO produce what they call a "general Stencilling" decal for the 146/ARJ family.  It includes decals for the natural metal areas (leading edges, ailerons etc) which work well and save a fair bit of masking.  I don't seem to be able to post a direct link to the page but if you go to www.dacoproducts.com, click on "Skyline Decals Civil Airliners" at the top of the page then look for "BAe146/Avro RJ Stencilling" in the bar at the left of the page that will take you to it.

HTH

Dave G

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've not posted much here, and it's been a while. Since I last posted I've painted it - this took longer than I expected due to an experiment with automotive paints which didn't work out very well so it all had to be redone. Anyway it's done now and I've got the decals on. The F-DCAL decals worked pretty well. So not a lot more to do now - I need to paint the radome, paint and attach the wheels, attach the engines and undercarriage doors, and attach a few aerials then it's done.

36950366746_f1af262d71_c.jpg146 WIP by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

Edited by zebra
photo didn't work
  • Like 5

Thanks guys

@Rick Brown the IoM connection has become a bit of a theme for me - always looking out for something with a Manx connection to build, thinking about a Manx Dakota at the moment, as well as things that have been based at Jurby, Andreas and Ronaldsway. 

My 146 is from the Eurowings boxing - you're welcome to the decals - PM me if you want them 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zebra said:

Thanks guys

....My 146 is from the Eurowings boxing - you're welcome to the decals - PM me if you want them 

Sorry Zebra, I meant EuroManx!

My mistake.

Just read the Barry Edwards book on the EuroManx airline  (bought from Laxey Woolen Mill, weird place to find a book on aviation!). Very smart looking Dash and RJ70.

Rick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick Brown said:

Sorry Zebra, I meant EuroManx!

My mistake.

Just read the Barry Edwards book on the EuroManx airline  (bought from Laxey Woolen Mill, weird place to find a book on aviation!). Very smart looking Dash and RJ70.

Rick.

Can't help with EuroManx unfortunately. I once bought an aviation book at Tynwald Mills but Laxey Woollen Mill probably beats that!

• Like 1

Finished!

All went together very quickly once the wheels were painted. You might notice only one of the engines has decals on it - mishap with decals and water prevented the others being used...

One photo here - a couple more will go in the gallery.

Also @Rick Brown - I was browsing photos of EuroManx aircraft online and came across an image of some decals by someone called Pointerdog7 which seem to be available on eBay from time to time, although don't seem to be available on there at the moment.

Manx 146

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1