Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

PhotoBucket are no longer permitting 3rd party hosting   01/07/17

As most of you are now painfully aware, Photobucket (PB) are stopping/have stopped allowing their members to link their accumulated years of photos into forums and the like, which they call 3rd party linking.  You can give them a non-refundable $399 a year to allow links, but I doubt that many will be rushing to take them up on that offer.  If you've previously paid them for the Pro account, it looks like you've got until your renewal to find another place to host your files, but you too will be subject to this ban unless you fork over a lot of cash.   PB seem to be making a concerted move to another type of customer, having been the butt of much displeasure over the years of a constantly worsening user interface, sloth and advertising pop-ups, with the result that they clearly don't give a hoot about the free members anymore.  If you don't have web space included in your internet package, you need to start looking for another photo host, but choose carefully, as some may follow suit and ditch their "free" members at some point.  The lesson there is keep local backups on your hard drive of everything you upload, so you can walk away if the same thing happens.   There's a thread on the subject here, so please use that to curse them, look for solutions or generall grouse about their mental capacity.   Not a nice situation for the forum users that hosted all their photos there, and there will now be a host of useless threads that relied heavily on photos from PB, but as there's not much we can do other than petition for a more equitable solution, I suggest we make the best of what we have and move on.  One thing is for certain.  It won't win them any friends, but they may not care at this point.    Mike.
198 posts in this topic

So I thought this was a bit strange and I felt the need to tell this tale to you.

Let me start at the beginning.

So, last Tuesday, last Tuesday was an ordinary day. I came home from work and had an ordinary evening, you know,

making someting to eat, doing the dishes, yelling at the neighbour because he peed in the bushes again... ordinary.

And as per usual on ordinary evenings, I fired up the old computer and did what I usually do on the computer, going to britmodeller,

getting seduced by one of mikes reviews followed by a visit to an online retailer of one sort or another to buy the thing that mike made

me want to have. Ordinary.

So this time I went to Amazon and found and ordered the thing which was the Special Hobby Ju 88 C4. And it went splendidly, I

pushed the buttons and confirmed the things and all went well. They told me that I was to hold it in my hands on Thursday. Since I work

I had them send it to the office or oaffice if you are from brooklyn. Which I am not, but that is another story, I just thought that brooklynites

have a great way to say office.

In any case, when you order from Amazon here in Germany, at least where I am, there are by and large three ways the thing comes to you.

1. They send it with DHL. That's good because that means it will actually come on the day they told you it would.

2. They send it with DPD. That's good too because that means it will actually come on the day they told you it would. Mostly.

3. They send it with Hermes. That's bad news because there is a specific driver around here who either doesn't know what he

is doing or he does know what he is doing and just hates my guts. Which is ok, I hate his guts to. Very hatable guts. But it will arrive. Kind of. Eventually.

They mostly use DHL here so I didn't worry and just sat back and twiddled my thumbs. Is it Thursday yet? Well, Thursday I was sat there, in the oaffice.

Could it be "oaffice" because there are oafs in offices? Anyway, I was sat there designing the world. It was a Flyer with the title "the world".

The thing didn't come. That's ok, I didn't really expect it to show up on time.

So Friday I was sat there again. Today it comes for sure. It didn't. So I thought to myself that maybe I should do what probably most people do

when they order from Amazon. Check the confimation emails they send. Maybe the Wife has a deal with them. Maybe there is a framed picture of me at the wall

of some office at amazon with the caption "do not sell modelkits to this man". Maybe that picture is in every office at amazon. I could not check my emails at the

office because I had recently changed the password to some expert level abomination that would make rainman whimper in terror.

So I jumped into the hoppiemobile and went home. Yelling at urinator, chasing neighbour dog, fireing up computer, searching for that darn piece of paper

that has the password. So I looked at the mails. The first mail was the order confirmation and said it would be in my greedy hands on Friday. Which is a bit strange

because when I ordered it it said Thursday. Not tragic.

The interesting thing was in the second mail, the confirmation of shipping. This one said that they had send it with "Hermes Einrichtungs Service", roughly translated

that means something like "Hermes set up service". Which was funny because I felt a bit set up myself. They had done a great job and they had not even arrived yet.

I didn't know what kind of Hermes branch that was so I researched it. Aparently, this is a 2-man service for big stuff. Suppose you buy, I don't know, a refrigerator or

a monster truck. Then they send it with that service because there are two guys and they are strong enough to carry the thing and put it right where you want it.

So I immediately checked to see if I had accidently bought a real world war two twin engine nightfighter all for less than 50 Euros (ammo not included). But alas, no.

So they say that the box has a weight of about 500 grams, roughly 1.1 pound. Now, I know what you are thinking, it seems a bit excessive to use a two man team of manly man

to carry a 1.1 pound box all of 10 meters from the parking lot to the officedoor. But remember, there is packaging too, that has to bring it up to 1.5, maybe even 1.6 pound.

What was also interesting in confirmation of shipping is this: They didn't say it would arrive friday as confirmation of ordering had done. They said that it would arrive within

5 days STARTING from that Friday. So they tell you that it will come on day X and then one day later they tell you that it will come within 5 days starting from day x. What?

But it gets better. That mail also said that I was going to be contaced by the delivery service within two days to, well, to arrange a date of delivery. So I thought how, how are they

going to contact me? Phone? Do they even have my phone number?

Turns out they do. An old one. I never bothered to update it because I didn't anticipate that I would have to have a phone conversation with to men about the best time to deliver

a modelkit when in the past the damn thing would just show up like magic. So I went into the garden because I needed to yell at someone. But the bush urinator was not there.

I needed you peeman and you let me down.

So, the phone number. Funny story, someone else has that number now. I don't know that person, but I know it has been reasigned. How do I know? Well, my mum tried to

call me a couple days ago and accidently used the wrong number. So, some person somewhere was called a few days ago by an older lady who went: "Hoppie, is that you love,

what happened to your voice, did you drink your coffee too hot again? I told you, if it looks like tar and smells like tar and is scalding hot like tar it can't be good for you love".

And now that same person must have recieved a phone call that might have gone something like this: "Hoppie? We got your Nazi thing mate, let's meet so we can give you your

Nazi thing so you can do your Nazi stuff mate". I bet that poor guy did nazi that coming. Ok, I stole that joke. But it's a good one.

So, next thing was that I sent a mail to Amazon to tell them my woes. I did not complain about Hermes because this is not their fault, I only wanted to know from Amazon if they

are using that 2-man service on a regular basis for small stuff because that wont work for me. And I told them that the phone number they gave Hermes is the wrong one.

They answered me. They said that I am the king of customers and that right now, they have two teams, one that is complaining to Hermes for something that is not the fault of

Hermes and one that is shoveling ash on someones head. And I think there might also be some mortification of the flesh. They said they put the fear of god into Hermes and

they told them to call me. That poor guy with my old number probably has a folder on me by now. In short, their answer had no relation to the questions I asked.

But all was not lost, I had ordered a second kit as well. And that one arrived today. Or rather, it would have. But I overslept and when the doorbell rang, I wasn't fast enough

because I could't find my pants. And while I really really wanted that second kit, I was not willing to risk jail for indecent exposure at worst or having to yell "no, it's just really cold out" at best.

So now, here I am no Modelkits.

Redaction, I wrote that I have no modelkits. The Wife read that and asked me if I had taken a look into the cellar, the attic and "that hole you call your hobbyroom" recently. To which I said, alright, that's fair enough then.

So now, here I am without THOSE TWO SPECIFIC MODELKITS.

I don't know how this will continue, I guess we'll see monday. This whole thing just seemd absurd to me and I had to write it down. If you made it this far, thank you for reading and have a nice day.

34 people like this

I'm on nights just now, a particularly cold & spiteful night but it was brightened by your missive. Here's hoping for a good outcome, I look forward to the next installment. :D

Steve.

Here's another rant - why do you have to insert your own line breaks when the forum does it perfectly for you? It is most annoying to have a sentence broken by a line break and then the following sentence started on a new line. It makes reading really irritating.

Rant over.

1 hour ago, hoppie said:

Yelling at urinator...

I needed you peeman and you let me down...

shoveling ash on someones head...

mortification of the flesh...

I'm going to get T-shirts printed with those lines.:D

Mart

5 people like this

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

I'm on nights just now, a particularly cold & spiteful night but it was brightened by your missive. Here's hoping for a good outcome, I look forward to the next installment. :D

Steve.

I will keep you posted in case of future developments. I am glad it did some brightening ^_^

51 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Here's another rant - why do you have to insert your own line breaks when the forum does it perfectly for you? It is most annoying to have a sentence broken by a line break and then the following sentence started on a new line. It makes reading really irritating.

Rant over.

I apologize for that, I was compelled to do so as a graphics designer. But I'm not a very good graphics designer.

47 minutes ago, LotusArenco said:

I'm going to get T-shirts printed with those lines.:D

Mart

:lol:

1 person likes this

Most entertaining. :D

I now wish to know who Peeman is and why he does it? Is this common in your neck of the woods? If I caught a chap doing that in my bushes he would meet with Mr Hedge Trimmer.

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

irritating

How about.............................

this way..............or that way             anyway .

Sorry for any punctuation failures 2. It s another of yours IIRC ...if I give you my password

you can alter it

Edited by bzn20

It's actually good for the bushes. I bet they are great bushes

So basically, your kit hasn't turned up on time.

4 people like this

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

Rant over.

Some browsers, especially on ipaddy thingys put in line breaks were you don't really want them

Ah, Hermes; delivery within 5 days..... of local driver getting it,...... which is within 5 days of local depot getting it........which is within 5 days of local depot getting it from the main-hub which is within 3 days of hub getting it from the sender. Within that they are pretty quick as I can usually count on getting it delivered in about 12 days after its been sent out [Saturdays and Sundays don't count as days with Hermes]

2 people like this

I must disagree with Ratch entirely, I think it was written beautifully, to the point that I enjoyed your pain.

Hope you don't mind.

The thing that strikes me from your missive is, that all Myherpes delivery drivers are the same the world over, and your neighbour pees in your hedge!? I think we need more information.

5 people like this

This sounds rather like one of the David Mitchell rants of which I am particularly fond.

Any relation?

I suppose not,  but I am quite looking forward to hearing more of your difficulties.

So, here's hoping you have a rotten time and come and tell us about it!

(Okay, I really DON'T hope you have a rotten time, but feel free to complain anyway!)

5 people like this

I knew a gardener who used to pee over the bases of the rose bushes he looked after. He said it kept cats and dogs off them

I think it was really because he had nowhere proper to go after having 6 pints at lunchtime

7 people like this

16 minutes ago, SeanM said:

It's actually good for the bushes. I bet they are great bushes

and it keeps the fox's away, tis also good for compost bins, men only tho!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

No relation to David Mitchell I'm afraid.

The peeman, that is a bit of a strange case. He had his hips replaced last year and that gave him some grief. I think that during that time he could not go to the toilette and instead used a bucket. And the bucket he then emptied over the balkony down into the bushes. But now it seems to me that the whole freepeeing thing gives him some sense of freedom, of wildness. A peerebel, that is what he is I guess.

The bushes are doing fine. Excellent as a matter of fact. They just don't smell like roses nomore. And it's a hot summer which makes the situation, well, pungent.

21 minutes ago, Darby said:

So basically, your kit hasn't turned up on time.

Well, kind of. But remember, I am swabian. A swabian who doesn't complain obout one thing or another is like a shark that doesn't swim. Dead.

Edited by hoppie
10 people like this

I have a reprint copy of a book by a very famous Swabian

1 person likes this

Your region has produced many great philosophers, story tellers, even gave us Einstein.

It is quite a powerhouse of thought and creativity.

That is probably why your rant is so engaging, charming and rather amusing :D.

I really am sorry to hear that your parcel is a little late. I'm sure it will arrive in due course.

Meanwhile, it might be good for you and Mr. Peeman to have a beer together. You could share the freedom and wildness, perhaps nourish the flowers together :cheers: . 

Beautifully written, Mrs. T enjoyed it too :lol:.

Rant on old chap, rant on, life is too short to hold back :winkgrin:.

Best regards 

TonyT

6 people like this

philosofical question; is this a rant or a tale of woe?

1 person likes this

I think it's a 'rant'. A 'tale of woe' often involves a woeman.

I'll get me :coat:

5 people like this

If you have three other locations where models lurk,

maybe the kits you ordered are already there?

Odd things happen in the world of Amazon.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Meanwhile, it might be good for you and Mr. Peeman to have a beer together. 

I recommend you stick to one beer. 

Ein kleines bier at that...

1 person likes this

Urine a world of pain.

6 people like this

Oh how I laughed at this. I really hope you get your two specific model kits soon, but I also really hope something else goes wrong so you can treat us to another rant.

1 hour ago, LotusArenco said:

L7eGZa3.jpg?1

I'd definitely have one of those!

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Urine a world of pain.

Ooooh!

Shame!

:lol: