Hasegawa 1/32 Me 262 A2 Sturmvogel

Thanks Mateo !

I'm a pretty happy camper.  Got the Swastikas drawn, cut and applied all in a single night after work.  They don't sux which I count a good days work :D

Progress;

Schwable%2043-L.jpg

\

Schwable%2044-L.jpg

I'll go away now and stop bothering everybody, but I will say that these Silhouette cutters are very cool bits of kit.  I have now got to order some decals for this to steal the stencils from.  But at least while I'm waiting I can get the finish a bit more tight and glossed.

Dan

• Like 4

Morning progress;

I am an impatient bugger and I don't want to wait for a couple of weeks for some decals to arrive from the USA so I thought I'd see if I could do the fuel triangles with stencils.  I think they turned out okay.

Schwable%2045-L.jpg

Schwable%2046-L.jpg

I need to do about five more and then add some black numbers( fudged  from extra decal sheets) into the middle to look the part.  Good enough and a nice proof of concept for later builds.  I lined up the yellow inner triangles by eye, turns out it seems easier to do very thin borders rather than bigger ones.  These are 4.2mm ( overall) on a side and I think you could go a bit smaller too.  I think it is all down to the masking media as it is very forgiving and conforms very nicely.

No doubt I'll get more done this weekend, I have some ideas for the red dashed walkways and the red circles on the cowls...

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 1

Another experiment.  The red cowl markings, didn't go quite as planed.

Schwable%2047-L.jpg

Schwable%2048-L.jpg

I should have made the gaps, maybe 1.5 - 1.0mm instead of the 2mm I tried.  I did do a practice one but thought it looked okay until I got it on the model itself.  That's what being inpatient will do to you.  I should have remembered to scribe the cowl latches too:doh:  as well as some other bits I now wish I had done.  Still and all I'm pretty pleased so far.

I gave the lot a couple of thin coats of Mr Hobby 'Mr Super Clear' from a rattle can to get ready for the tiny decals.

Schwable%2049-L.jpg

Schwable%2050-L.jpg

Schwable%2051-L.jpg

Getting there.

Thanks for dropping by for a look.

Dan

• Like 4

Last bits before the work week makes building imposable, or at least unlikely.

Schwable%2052-L.jpg

Schwable%2053-L.jpg

Schwable%2055-L.jpg

Decals are mostly spurious, but fill in the blanks and add a bit of colour.  I'm only planning on some oil dot weathering and a couple of passes with some dust to tie it all together,  Nothing like the battering I usually apply as I like the idea of these planes not being too long in the tooth before wars end.  Need to paint the base and get a nameplate engraved but this one is well on the way to being finished.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan 

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 2

I took a long hard look at myself and then decided not to go down the oil dot path, too much and too risky for this black duck.  I instead flat coated the model and then did multiple passes with very thin buff, and light grey and a light brown to tie the finish together.  Then I broke out some of my new crayons, water soluble, blend able pastel crayons.  

Schwable%2058-X2.jpg

They work a bit like a cross between a watercolour pencil and tradition pastels.  They go on very well over a flat finish and can be sharpened to a point to make intense scratches.  But the material can be blended and smudged just like traditional pastels.  If you stuff up you can totally remove the material with a wet cotton bud/paint brush.  I'm sure that someone with some talent could really go to town with these crayons.  Me, I'm a hack but I get things done in a brute force kind of way.

Schwable%2056-L.jpg

Schwable%2057-X2.jpg

I'm going to do a bit more but not too much.  There are about a zillion colour of the crayons available, some metallic.   I've yet to play with them though I'm going to see how they work on the walkways/under the canopy area.  I should with luck get the last of the painting done this weekend.  Then it's only the little details and she'll be done! :frantic: 

Thanks so much to all who drop in for a look. I hope you enjoy.

Dan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A tiny update.

I have been banging away all afternoon and I have got to the big unveiling, I always have mixed feelings about taking the canopy masks off because I alway stuff something up.  Well, as usual I didn't get exactly what I wanted.  I have chipping and a bit of frosting in the back bit and I stupidly forgot the centre frame of the main canopy.:doh: 

Schwable%2059-L.jpg

Managing my own expectations is the hardest part of modelling for me.  I have a vision in my head before I start a model of just how I want it to look but it never gets anywhere near it. :deadhorse:  The miss match between desire and actual skill is sometimes a bit disheartening but I do keep trying to get better.  

Does anyone have a good method for masking that allows for multiple coats of paint on canopies but doesn't result in a ridge that looks hideous or flakes off and looks even worse?  I'm thinking that I should maybe remove the masks partway through the painting and re-mask to help knock down the ridge.  Any thoughts?

I'll do some remedial work on this bird tomorrow when I'm in a better frame of mind as there is very little left to do.  She looks pretty good apart from the areas that look horrid.  I do like seeing the 262 with bombs under the nose for a change.  Though next time I might do the 21cm rockets?  Next time?  I must be nuts...

• Like 2

I think the key thing with canopies is using very light coats built up, this tends to minimise the ridges and bits peeling off. Looks lovely, can't see any horrid bits from here :)

Have you tried the chalk type pastels (known as soft) rather than the wax based ones? Using a stubby small brush, they are great for working in to panel lines where grime accumulates to bring out the detail. Very easy to rub off too if you're not happy or seal with a matt coat if you are.

Superb work going on there!

Love the detail with all the different techniques.  I think the panel lines have worked out perfectly, if you made them too straight and clean it would not look so realistic to my mind.

Amazing just how good this almost 45 year old kit still looks