Aviation of Japan Blog

757flyer

Hi,  I don't much use web logs but I was flabbergasted by the personal attack against Nick Millman.  Is Brushpainter Ray Rimmell?  What a completely unnecessary thing to have written, absolutely pointless. 

Nick's interest in the Pacific War led to his pursuits and he's contributed a great deal over the years in his web log and his publications and contributions to other modellers on several websites. 

So what exactly is the problem?  

Gary 

Well according to Dancho's BM profile he lives in Minnesota and was born on 10/30/56? What is the thirtieth month of the year by the way - Octember??? 

Anyway - I would have thought that Mr. Rimmell would still be living in the UK and without offending him, may be a few years older than that. 

I think the link that your referring to is a review of Ray Rimmell's BoB book by someone called Dan J Dunn.

Cheers.. Dave. 

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

was born on 10/30/56? What is the thirtieth month of the year by the way - Octember??? 

Cheers.. Dave. 

American date format, mm/dd/yyyy (applicable to most but not exclusively all of the US)

2 hours ago, Cometracer said:

Is Brushpainter Ray Rimmell? 

Ray Rimmell was first a contributor to, and then editor of, Scale Models magazine and wrote many fine well-researched articles which stand the test of time today.  In particular he was/is as great an expert on World War I aircraft (he was the driving force behind Windsock publications) as Nick M is in the spheres of colour science and Japanese aviation.  I have no desire to explore dancho's vacuous and bilious ramblings to establish where on earth the idea arose that he and dancho are the same but wish to place on record that I find the idea so completely fatuous as to be laughable.  Were I Ray I'd be checking I had my lawyer's number handy.

BTW I note that no-one has so far ruled out dancho being the dalai lama.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

BTW I note that no-one has so far ruled out dancho being the dalai lama.

Well whoever he is, it is abundantly clear that he's depriving a village somewhere of its idiot.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I should also point out that despite claiming to be ex-military and with an aviation background, he seems to have little or no understanding about the Air Publication/Tech Order revision process. He uses his interpretation of it (and claims that old documentation would be destroyed during the revision of a paint T.O.) to make the erroneous point that any primary source data can only ever be a snapshot, with no possibility to refer to previous revisions/issues of this data, "...because they have been destroyed". Furthermore he claims that he doesn't know where (if anywhere) such superseded data would be. All of that is put forward as some kind of misguided attempt at saying that everyone has got it wrong.

Well at that point I cease to consider him a serious authority, since it's no secret that RAF A.P's are accessible at the National Archives and USAF T.O.'s similarly at the Smithsonian, ditto US Navy NavAer documents etc. Having accessed these, I am able to confirm that these archived publications usually contain all revisions for each document, so the argument that such data doesn't exist is BS. 

Moreover, a rudimentary understanding of technical manual authoring would bring the understanding that if there is an error in Revision B of a manual and it's not noticed until Revision X, how on earth will anyone know how to correct it? It's why all Technical Publications departments keep records of previous revisions.

So just my take on how seriously we should take this character.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

So just my take on how seriously we should take this character.

I think we've already devoted far too much effort, and created too many posts, about Brushpainter. 

Sadly, Nick is still MIA.  I've reached out to him but not received a response.  I truly hope he's ok. 

Edited by mhaselden
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

Sadly, Nick is still MIA.  I've reached out to him but not received a response.  I truly hope he's ok. 

I hope so too, Sir.

Every time I see a new post here, I open up hoping it is good news.

He's a great guy.

• Like 1

I have his home address but he's a long distance away and I've never met him personally so just "turning up" would seem rather inappropriate and over familiar. I shall resist mailing him. His inbox must have quite a backlog already and I'd only add to it.

I hope you're well if you're ready incognito Nick

• Like 1

Jamie,

If you have his postal address, maybe you could find a phone number and try giving him a call?  It's clear there are many of us here in Britmodeller Land who are concerned about him.

Just a suggestion.  Fully understand if you're not comfortable doing it, though.

Cheers,
Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, occa said:

Glad it's back !!

It has a short notice from Nick. with a hint that a further explanation what happened will follow.

Lets just hope he is fine ...

Occa,

That is good news, indeed! I was able to log onto his Aviation of Japan blog with no problem- hurray, but the American Aircraft for the RAF blogsite still seems to be locked out. Does anybody else have that same problem? Sure am glad that Nick is OK! Poor guy, the emails from all of us that must be piled up in his inbox! He has been missed.

Thanks for the report.

Mike

15 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Occa,

That is good news, indeed! I was able to log onto his Aviation of Japan blog with no problem- hurray, but the American Aircraft for the RAF blogsite still seems to be locked out. Does anybody else have that same problem? Sure am glad that Nick is OK! Poor guy, the emails from all of us that must be piled up in his inbox! He has been missed.

Thanks for the report.

Mike

Same for me Mike, I believe he will get that one up again too with time tho likely t a bit later ...

Looks like technical difficulties maybe with his internet or the PC ...

Cheers

Martin