P-43A Lancers, Kunming, China - June 1942 in colour

Troy Smith

This is in the AVG photo album, but I've never seen a colour shot of a operational P-43 before

15986742285_2991127244_b.jpgP-43A Lancers and a C-47, Kunming, China - June 1942 by Brad Smith, on Flickr

that one has  Chinese insignia and the other US is interesting (awaiting repainting?)  as is the camo demarcation on the rear fuselage (very wiggly)   and the chalked '67'  on the fin.

I don't know much about the P-43, apart from  doing some searching  about the Australian ones,   and have a Classic Airframes kit 'in the  stash'  so any more info on this would be of interest.

cheers

T

• Like 3

Im aware of P-43's being used in the armed reconnaissance role by the USAAF. At least in the early months of the war. Though I've not personally looked for anything on the Lancer. I have come across that little bit while researching P-47's and their lineage. 

Dennis  

Here's a coincidence for you.........

http://axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?8841

I would guess it is one of a sequence as there are other pictures like it from different viewpoints.

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/288511919859894300/

Note that one has Chinese insignia and the other US is interesting (awaiting repainting?)  Note the camo demarcation on the rear fuselage (very wiggly)   but there's no chalked '67'  on the fin............... coincidence or what?

I'm impressed with the bright colours and sharp rendition of that colour picture. Almost like it was taken with a digital camera in 1942!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

http://axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?8841

I would guess it is one of a sequence as there are other pictures like it from different viewpoints.

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/288511919859894300/

Note that one has Chinese insignia and the other US is interesting (awaiting repainting?)  Note the camo demarcation on the rear fuselage (very wiggly)   but there's no chalked '67'  on the fin............... coincidence or what?

I'm impressed with the bright colours and sharp rendition of that colour picture. Almost like it was taken with a digital camera in 1942!

Ed,

Wow! Best references on the P-43 I have seen- thanks so much for sharing them! (Now, where's my MPM kit?) You can sure see Kartveli's design   progression from the P-35A to the XP-72!

Mike

4 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

or how dark the colouriser thought it should be.............

Ed,

I don't think it's colourised.  I know the guy who posted these images.  He's the son of an AVG pilot and has access to some incredible colour images. 

Cheers,
Mark

It may well not be colourised but it sure looks it. The bold colours with precise edges, the clear detail in the aircraft but not the figures or background etc are hallmarks.

There are so many skillfully done colourisations around that you almost assume any old colour picture is one. If i ever post one I always put a note about whether I think it's genuine or not. If this P-43 pic is not digitally altered it's an awesome quality find.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:28 PM, Troy Smith said:

This is in the AVG photo album, but I've never seen a colour shot of a operational P-43 before

15986742285_2991127244_b.jpgP-43A Lancers and a C-47, Kunming, China - June 1942 by Brad Smith, on Flickr

that one has  Chinese insignia and the other US is interesting (awaiting repainting?)  as is the camo demarcation on the rear fuselage (very wiggly)   and the chalked '67'  on the fin.

I don't know much about the P-43, apart from  doing some searching  about the Australian ones,   and have a Classic Airframes kit 'in the  stash'  so any more info on this would be of interest.

cheers

T

Looks like the Chinese ground crew is putting the P-43's to probably their most useful purpose- providing shade! (Yes, I know- I'm one sick puppy!)

Mike

• 2 months later...
On 16.07.2017 at 1:40 PM, Ed Russell said:

Ed, this is a fantactic set of photos (in above link). Thank you for sharing.

Thank Troy for this thread an the first photo. "67" looks like a delivery flight mark, perhaps.

Cheers

J-W

P.S. 

I've looked asided in the AVg Flickr and there are extremly nice photos of nature

for example

Boisduval's Blue - 2007

This is just to support that it could be original good quality colour film

Edited by JWM
added PS

Here's another one:

D7K6P8o.jpg

I am not 100% certain but I believe the picture is from the now defunct Jeffrey J. Ethell collection site ...

(Sad btw that that site obviously isn't maintained anymore).

Looks like they used the early WWII US insignia blue and not a light blue here for the Chinese markings.

There is another AC sans engine in the background (could it be a P-40 ?) where the rudder has been painted blue but no white stripes yet.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, occa said:

Here's another one:

D7K6P8o.jpg

I am not 100% certain but I believe the picture is from the now defunct Jeffrey J. Ethell collection site ...

(Sad btw that that site obviously isn't maintained anymore).

Looks like they used the early WWII US insignia blue and not a light blue here for the Chinese markings.

There is another AC sans engine in the background (could it be a P-40 ?) where the rudder has been painted blue but no white stripes yet.

Looks like the aircraft in the background is indeed a P-40, and it  appears to be a P-40K with the extension to the fin added to the early K being visible.

Mike