Vixens & Bullpups

RMP2

From what I can find they could carry at least a pair of Bullpups on the outer wing pylons and a datalink pod would be carried on the stb inner wing pylon.
Would that be correct?

I cant find any photos just yet of the data link pod. Anyone got some not on a Photobucket account...? ;)

Also looking for a source for the pod in 1/48 or an idea of what to make one from if anyone knows.

Cheers for any help/links/info. :)

Rmp ... i know there are resin aftermarket versions in 1/48 of USAF/USN Data link pods for the Bullpup. AMS RESIN makes it. I believe the tamiya F4d skyray kits come with on its mounted on the centerline location on the kit. I built one 3 years ago for an Fj-4 fury build made out of 2 LAU-3 pods back to back with the Fibreglass covers on each end. A suitable length of tube in the correct Diameter with those fiberglass caps would also work. I would think the same could be scratched in 1/72 scale as well. If i can help let me know. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Rmp ... i know there are resin aftermarket versions in 1/48 of USAF/USN Data link pods for the Bullpup. AMS RESIN makes it. I believe the tamiya F4d skyray kits come with on its mounted on the centerline location on the kit. I built one 3 years ago for an Fj-4 fury build made out of 2 LAU-3 pods back to back with the Fibreglass covers on each end. A suitable length of tube in the correct Diameter with those fiberglass caps would also work. I would think the same could be scratched in 1/72 scale as well. If i can help let me know. 

Thank you very much for that. I will have a look at the AMS offering. :)

Im assuming the AMS pod would be suitable for a Vixen? Im still struggling to find a photo of it fitted to one, despite descriptions saying it was required rather than it being built in so to speak.

In all the digging i did for my fury build i only found two very grainy distant shots of the datalink pod taken from a chase plane at China lake. So im not surprised you're having a problem finding photo's. The Bullpup came around after some aircraft were in production. And they didnt have enough internal space for the equipment. The F-8 crusaders had to have a large bulge added onto the top of the wing box structure. In later aircraft either room was designed into them or the equipment was miniaturized.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

In all the digging i did for my fury build i only found two very grainy distant shots of the datalink pod taken from a chase plane at China lake. So im not surprised you're having a problem finding photo's. The Bullpup came around after some aircraft were in production. And they didnt have enough internal space for the equipment. The F-8 crusaders had to have a large bulge added onto the top of the wing box structure. In later aircraft either room was designed into them or the equipment was miniaturized.  

From what Ive read it sounds like it didnt really work all that well in practice which might explain the photo shortage.
Basically - a few rocket pods seems to have been a better idea. But they are a funky looking little thing, I like em. :)

• Like 1

That is the recon pod (bluff nose), but they were of similar external size and shape.

Somewhere I have an image of a Vixen showing the Bullpup and data pod, surprising how rare a fit it was though.

• Like 2