Me-163 Question

Marvel Onkey

Does anyone know what the tiny little propeller on the nose of the Me-163 Komet is for?

You can see it in this picture:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/dk-production/images/17534/story_image/800px-Museum_of_Flight_Me_163_04.jpg?1359565398

Could it have anything to do with gliding ability once the rocket fuel is exhausted?

Edited by Marvel Onkey
Spelling & Grammar

34 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

It drives the generator to provide electric power for the instruments

Yep again (couldn't mange to agree with both at the same time for some reason :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

it was for me to twiddle round in the Deutsche Museum when I was 6 and wonder how such a small propeller could make the plane fly.....

well, I was 6...... :)

Well, it is possible.

450637e3-fd70-4fba-b639-250750c3bbbc.jpg

• Like 4

Many years ago, I visited the USAF museum in Dayton, Ohio. While

standing in front of their 163, a very elderly fellow with very thick glasses walked up, studied it at great length, then said at the top of his lungs, "YA MEAN DAT'S ALL DE PROPELLA DAT THING HAD?!" I had to bite my tongue...

If you look closely, you can see that the blades are pitched "backwards" (concave face forward)--designed not to pull air, but to be pushed by the slipstream to drive the generator. 

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

it was for me to twiddle round in the Deutsche Museum when I was 6 and wonder how such a small propeller could make the plane fly.....

well, I was 6...... :)

Troy,

Just curious- when you twiddled the prop, did the instrument panel light up?

Mike

6 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Troy,

Just curious- when you twiddled the prop, did the instrument panel light up?

Mike

erm, I  forgot to check...  I don't think I  was tall enough then...

It's one of those odd memories,  I used to go the museum quite often  (I was in Munich for 9 months) and it was fairly close,  the aviation hall had a Bf109E, Me262, Me163, Fokker D.VII and a Ju52 minus one wing which you could walk though,  but the Me163 was memorable as back then (early 70's)  no-one seemed to mind if I twiddled the prop...

an image search has not turned up the display hall from then,  but I seem to  recall the prop was yellow even then..

Ausstellung_Schleissheim_ueberblick_2.jp

I'm dimly recall the cut outs looking at the pic, and I  think there was a ladder to  look into the cockpit (may have been  something else)

The colours are pretty suspect,  and even the actual identity is in doubt

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/me163/deutsches.htm

some useful images in the link though.

cheers

T

• Like 4

Troy, I must have been something like six years old also when we visited the museum with my grand father (late 1970s). I didn't even notice the Me 163 as I was so exited to see a real Me 262 (I was a big fan then and still am). At least there was a ladder of some sort to climb and see the Me 262 cockpit.

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 2