Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

PhotoBucket are no longer permitting 3rd party hosting   01/07/17

As most of you are now painfully aware, Photobucket (PB) are stopping/have stopped allowing their members to link their accumulated years of photos into forums and the like, which they call 3rd party linking.  You can give them a non-refundable $399 a year to allow links, but I doubt that many will be rushing to take them up on that offer.  If you've previously paid them for the Pro account, it looks like you've got until your renewal to find another place to host your files, but you too will be subject to this ban unless you fork over a lot of cash.   PB seem to be making a concerted move to another type of customer, having been the butt of much displeasure over the years of a constantly worsening user interface, sloth and advertising pop-ups, with the result that they clearly don't give a hoot about the free members anymore.  If you don't have web space included in your internet package, you need to start looking for another photo host, but choose carefully, as some may follow suit and ditch their "free" members at some point.  The lesson there is keep local backups on your hard drive of everything you upload, so you can walk away if the same thing happens.   There's a thread on the subject here, so please use that to curse them, look for solutions or generall grouse about their mental capacity.   Not a nice situation for the forum users that hosted all their photos there, and there will now be a host of useless threads that relied heavily on photos from PB, but as there's not much we can do other than petition for a more equitable solution, I suggest we make the best of what we have and move on.  One thing is for certain.  It won't win them any friends, but they may not care at this point.    Mike.
Bullbasket

Welded Cromwell Mk.Vllw.

64 posts in this topic

And I thought my breacher mantis vehicle was complicated.  

Looks like you have done a bit of research on Cromwells to know exactly which rivet to remove.  Geez, I'll never get to that level, sometimes I

can't even see the rivets or start seeing two of each so which one goes?

Keep it up,

Lloyd

1 person likes this

Thanks Lloyd. After Sherman, Cromwell is my next favourite tank. Actually, I don't have much in the way of info on the Cromwell. Just three books dedicated to that tank as well as others which include the Cromwell. Considering how important a tank it was, there's precious little out there. 

John.

Thumb up. 

1 person likes this

Very nice start John,

I was at a modeling show back in May and they had people selling models so I had a look and one guy was selling the sister tank to the Cromwell which is the Centaur CS Mk1V made by TAMIYA so I purchased it for $15.00 CDN It, it looks like they had different engines to the Cromwell.

Regards

Richard

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Ripaman said:

Very nice start John,

I was at a modeling show back in May and they had people selling models so I had a look and one guy was selling the sister tank to the Cromwell which is the Centaur CS Mk1V made by TAMIYA so I purchased it for $15.00 CDN It, it looks like they had different engines to the Cromwell.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

Many hanks for your comments. You got a real bargain there. I paid £15 for one of my Cromwells and I thought that was a bargain, seeing as they retail for anything up to £28.

Yes, Centaurs were fitted with the Liberty engine as opposed to the Meteor of the Cromwell, although many Centaurs were re-engined with Meteors.

John.

This update is probably a bit out of sync, but I'm going to cover the turret construction before moving on with the rest of the hull. The main alteration here is the additional armour added to the front of the turret. I went about this in a rather convoluted way as I didn't want to try and remove the large conical rivets from the turret front. Get that wrong and it would be a devil of a job replacing those. So instead, I cut a new turret front from 60thou card and removed the moulded on location ribs from the front edge of the turret, part D15. Once I was happy with the fit of the new front, using the turret front, part D27 as a pattern, a hole was cut for the 75mm gun and the BESA. The rear of part D27 was then sanded completely flat, removing all of the moulded on detail, so that it would lay flat against the new turret front. It was then sanded on all four edges so that the part was approximately .5mm smaller all round than the new card part. The two parts were then glued together and attached to the front of the turret, part D15. A thin bead of Milliput was applied all around and textured to represent weld beads. The gun aperture was also cleaned up with needle files.

4a7ec483-401f-4d01-9804-91cce45278a3.JPG

4502bbc5-5aec-417d-b214-97e89583edf8.JPG b453f9c9-7616-4dba-97bc-9e721122a563.JPG

The only thing that got added to the turret interior was the gun breach. I didn't bother with any other detailing as there would be a crew member in each hatch, blotting out any interior view. The 75mm QF Mk.V main gun is the RB Models item, a vast improvement on the kit's offering.

da17eb8b-85fb-47f9-8306-80f316281ac0.JPG

The tank that I was modelling had a stowage bin fixed to the rear of the turret. This came from a Formations resin set for the Sherman. I made up a frame from strips of etched brass, bent to angle iron shape and then soldered together, and glued under the bin. Once it was glued onto the rear of the turret, two “L” shaped brackets, made from strips of card and punched out bolt heads, were glued each side. I also added a brass padlock.

a873063d-f861-4d0d-b10f-3f5c35ac6c0d.JPG

Most, if not all Mk.Vll’s were fitted with the commander's all round vision cupola. This also came from the Formations set for the Sherman. The spotlight was detailed with etch from the Aber set and 5 amp fuse wire. Also from the Aber set came the aiming device. The photo that I was basing my model on, showed an extra aerial carried on the side of the turret, making it (I believe), a command tank. The bracket for this was made from pieces of 10thou card, and the aerial base was glued to this along with some punched out bolt heads. Just behind the cupola is the aerial base for the No.19 B set radio, also from the Aber set.

58a8af75-29c7-4a4c-9161-1b0949474e29.JPG

Final jobs on the turret. Etched brass from the Aber set for the catches and stops for the loaders hatch, and the BESA barrel which came from the kit. It looks fine if you drill out the end and then finish it off with one of those small pointed tools made for mini drills. I use mine by by just twisting between finger and thumb.

9fdf9629-5302-4444-8989-23b3dda88d52.JPG

As Jimmy Wheeler used to say "Aye aye. That shallot"

Thanks for looking.

John.

4 people like this

This is some good stuff John!  Nice scratching!

2 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Amazing detailing John,

looking grand as always :yes:

Agree.

Keep good work!!!, I wonder how you get such a level of information, and therefore detailed. amazing detail level...cannon is really nice...

:popcorn:, cheers John.

Superb levels of detail, it's really on another level! :popcorn:

2 hours ago, RichO said:

This is some good stuff John!  Nice scratching!

Coming from you Rich, that is praise indeed. Many thanks.

John.

1 hour ago, Kris B said:

Agree.

1 hour ago, FrancisGL said:

Keep good work!!!, I wonder how you get such a level of information, and therefore detailed. amazing detail level...cannon is really nice...

:popcorn:, cheers John.

1 hour ago, clive_t said:

Superb levels of detail, it's really on another level! :popcorn:

Thanks to all of you for the warm words of encouragement.

John.