Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

PhotoBucket are no longer permitting 3rd party hosting   01/07/17

As most of you are now painfully aware, Photobucket (PB) are stopping/have stopped allowing their members to link their accumulated years of photos into forums and the like, which they call 3rd party linking.  You can give them a non-refundable $399 a year to allow links, but I doubt that many will be rushing to take them up on that offer.  If you've previously paid them for the Pro account, it looks like you've got until your renewal to find another place to host your files, but you too will be subject to this ban unless you fork over a lot of cash.   PB seem to be making a concerted move to another type of customer, having been the butt of much displeasure over the years of a constantly worsening user interface, sloth and advertising pop-ups, with the result that they clearly don't give a hoot about the free members anymore.  If you don't have web space included in your internet package, you need to start looking for another photo host, but choose carefully, as some may follow suit and ditch their "free" members at some point.  The lesson there is keep local backups on your hard drive of everything you upload, so you can walk away if the same thing happens.   There's a thread on the subject here, so please use that to curse them, look for solutions or generall grouse about their mental capacity.   Not a nice situation for the forum users that hosted all their photos there, and there will now be a host of useless threads that relied heavily on photos from PB, but as there's not much we can do other than petition for a more equitable solution, I suggest we make the best of what we have and move on.  One thing is for certain.  It won't win them any friends, but they may not care at this point.    Mike.
Bullbasket

Welded Cromwell Mk.Vllw.

53 posts in this topic
3 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Now where did I leave my medication? NURSE!!

As long as you remember where you left your nurse, you'll be ok! :analintruder:

1 person likes this

Right, my nurse has administered the medication, so let's see if I can do this without making a dog's breakfast out of it.

The first job that I did on the upper hull was to correct the engine deck. As can be seen from these two drawings, Tamiya's is incorrect for a Mk.lV. Although “4's” did appear with B & C hulls, it's unlikely to see one in Tamiya's configuration. “7's” were built on D, E & F hulls, so the first thing that needed to be done was to remove the hinges for the access panels and fill the panel lines.

485c2096-8974-4bd0-ad2a-faf41a2e2acf.jpged48688d-f471-4f2b-9b16-2310d710bff8.jpg

39c9f618-732c-491e-8265-4513235c5728.JPG

New panel lines were scribed each side of the deck, just behind the armoured intake cover. Anyone wanting to correct the Tamiya Cromwell and was thinking about using the Accurate Armour engine deck….don't. They put the panel lines in the wrong place. I also added four new engine deck locking points, cut from thin card and new grab handles. In the photo, the two outer locking points and grab handles hadn't been removed, but this was discovered after the paint went on. As the whole of the engine deck was to be covered with stowage, I didn't see the point in causing damage when it wouldn't be seen anyway. Two pieces of 40thou card were also glued in place in the lower hull to act as spacers and to keep it square.

06169b06-9a43-4c8f-b4c7-901525d6cf3f.JPG

And this is how it should end up.

bded68ff-d693-476d-9d8b-4446342f6f63.JPG

So if my goldfish memory doesn't play me up, then the photos should remain this time.

Thanks for looking.

John.

4 people like this

Fascinating!

Watching intently here.

G

1 person likes this

Pictures all look fine from here :)

28 minutes ago, AgentG said:

Fascinating!

Watching intently here.

G

7 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Pictures all look fine from here :)

That's a relief. Thanks both.

John.

9 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

OK, hopefully they are back. Can you see them?

John.

Yes, I can see them and they look great.

Gondor

47 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

Yes, I can see them and they look great.

Thanks a lot Gondor. Much appreciated.

John.

Very glad you sorted out the problem. I have a couple of these kits in the stash but didn't know anything about the actual tank itself so I am glad to be able to glen some info from your build thread.

Gondor

Great every thing worked out,and welcome to the senior moments in life,Wow you have a nurse.Cheers.

I see all now too.  Lots of work on that rear deck but it looks much better now.

Lloyd

Nice scratchin' John. 

11 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

Very glad you sorted out the problem. I have a couple of these kits in the stash but didn't know anything about the actual tank itself so I am glad to be able to glen some info from your build thread.

Gondor

Help yourself, your most welcome. As I said, the kit is 20 years old now, but it's still a good one. With a few tweaks, it can become great.

John.

11 hours ago, Jim Wasley said:

Great every thing worked out,and welcome to the senior moments in life,Wow you have a nurse.Cheers.

Jim, I have so many senior moments nowadays. That's why I need a nurse :D. Somebody I know referred to it as a CRAFT moment......Can't remember a  ******* thing!

John.

6 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

I see all now too.  Lots of work on that rear deck but it looks much better now.

Lloyd

5 hours ago, RichO said:

Nice scratchin' John. 

Many thanks. Most of the work on the deck was a waste of time, as it got covered in the end with stowage. Still, couldn't take the chance that it could be seen.

John. 

1 person likes this

Good one mate,made me laugh,I can only hope she is a good looking twenty something,and she also helps you with your medication,sorry ******* craft.Ha Ha. 

1 person likes this

John

I know the feeling as I have a Meng MK V with a complete interior that no one can see but I know it's there.  Sometimes you just want to skip something that

can't be seen then end up doing it anyway, because it's there.

I hope someone gets that new Takom 1/35 Panther that's coming out with a complete interior as I have an itch and a set of Friulmodel tracks waiting for a home.

It will probably show in Europe before Canada as usual so I'm watching The Modelling News for updates.

Lloyd

1 person likes this

You're right Lloyd. I've built both Academy's M3 Grant and M3 Honey, both of which have fairly full interiors, but as they wouldn't be seen, I left them out. Too few years left to spend them building things that can't be seen.

John.

Okay, I'll get this loaded before Village Photos goes down on me again (I could have phrased that better).

Staying with the upper hull, the next job that I tackled was the Vauxhall Hatch. I removed a whole panel by cutting along existing panel lines.

c6d4cca6-8712-41e2-959f-c04d80a9fe39.JPG

A new panel was then cut from 40thou card and once I was happy with the fit, the hatch opening itself was cut out. I couldn't find any Cromwell drawings with a Vauxhall hatch, but I did have one of an A30 Challenger which used the same hatch, so I took all of the dimensions from that. 10thou card was fixed around the underneath of the opening to form a lip for the hatch to sit on. A periscope from the cut out section was removed and cleaned up. A hole approximately 4.5mm was drilled in the front of the new panel and then the periscope was inserted into it and glued in place.

Also in this photo can be seen the three pieces of appliqué amour added to the front of the plate in front of the driver's and gunner's positions. This was cut from 40thou card, just slightly smaller than was needed so that later I could add some weld beads from Milliput.

e66deeef-5dc6-40b9-af62-e154ba78e44c.JPG

The hatch cover was cut from 20thou card. The periscope came via the same route as the previously mentioned one, and was fixed in place in the same way. A new viewing prism was made from pieces of card and then glued to the bottom of the periscope, along with a wire handle. Also fixed to the inside of the hatch were various pieces of card to represent the head cushion and latch mechanism, and a spring made from winding 10 amp fuse wire around the shank of a small drill bit. Lastly, a brass wire grab handle was added to the outside of the hatch cover.

731e02c2-a510-4be6-acb9-2cd7c3ddddb4.JPG 13b5b32d-0f2d-439f-b179-e685f422fdbd.JPG d6347c04-d8cf-46c2-9d82-30480503065a.JPG

And the hatch cover in place.

7fc141df-7638-42bd-973d-cba71db00ad7.JPG

Glad that all worked out in the end. Thanks as always for looking.

John.

7 people like this

A hatch cover well up to your customary levels of skill and attention to detail. :yes:

Can you still get fuse wire these days? I am thinking I may have a use for some really thin stuff...

1 person likes this

Thanks Clive. Fuse wire is getting harder to find these days. I've got some left, but my stocks are dwindling. Soft brass wire is almost s good. It can be squashed flat with pliers.

John.

My local supermarket still sells it in a pack with two cards containing 5,10 & 20 amp wire. Handy as. :)

Steve.

2 people like this

As usual, very amazing attention to detail and accuracy, :popcorn:, cheers John

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Fantastic detailing as usual John, great job ;)

25 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

As usual, very amazing attention to detail and accuracy, :popcorn:, cheers John

My thanks to both of you. Much appreciated.

John.

Progress.

The armoured engine air intakes each side of the deck, have a row of rivets along the top which were removed with a sharp scalpel blade. The three sets of triple bolt heads need to remain.

59734eed-e4bf-4c05-975f-0335d3f2a70a.JPG

Moving on to the rear plate for the air box, part C20, the moulded on first aid box was removed with a razor saw. The square shackle brackets on the front, lower nose piece, part B18, were also removed and all detail filed flat. I was now able to assemble the lower hull, minus the wheels, and join the upper and lower halves together.

e110c50e-aa7d-4ac0-a99f-e5af714be075.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the rear, an oblong piece of 40thou card to represent the appliqué armour was glued to the exhaust box and a bead of Milliput applied around the edges and textured to form the weld bead. The smoke candle holders came from the Aber set, and I added wiring from fuse wire. The particular tank that I was modelling, had an ammo box welded to the appliqué armour, and for this I used an Accurate Armour item. The first aid box was backed up with some card to make up for the saw cut, and then glued to the ammo box.

51cc5a76-ebd1-4663-aedd-a68f23665855.JPGf5965972-b6a8-446c-803f-0e16611bc9b4.JPG

I discarded the kit's front and rear track guards in favour of the ones from the Aber set…..much better. I only installed some of it as I wanted it to have a damaged appearance. Also to be seen in this photo is the rear convoy light along with fuse wire wiring.

The Normandy cowl is the Tamiya offering as I think it looks just as good as an etched brass one if you thin the edges down. The three strengthening strips are thin card strip. I believe these cowls were manufactured in two parts, so I glued a thin strip of 5thou card down the middle to represent the joint. The mesh for the exhaust box came from the Aber set, as did the two mesh strips for the engine intakes. Final job on this section was to take a pair of pliers, grip the trailing edge of the cowl, and gently “mangle it” to give it a slight battered appearance.

That's it for now. Thanks for looking.

John.

2 people like this