Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

PhotoBucket are no longer permitting 3rd party hosting   01/07/17

As most of you are now painfully aware, Photobucket (PB) are stopping/have stopped allowing their members to link their accumulated years of photos into forums and the like, which they call 3rd party linking.  You can give them a non-refundable $399 a year to allow links, but I doubt that many will be rushing to take them up on that offer.  If you've previously paid them for the Pro account, it looks like you've got until your renewal to find another place to host your files, but you too will be subject to this ban unless you fork over a lot of cash.   PB seem to be making a concerted move to another type of customer, having been the butt of much displeasure over the years of a constantly worsening user interface, sloth and advertising pop-ups, with the result that they clearly don't give a hoot about the free members anymore.  If you don't have web space included in your internet package, you need to start looking for another photo host, but choose carefully, as some may follow suit and ditch their "free" members at some point.  The lesson there is keep local backups on your hard drive of everything you upload, so you can walk away if the same thing happens.   There's a thread on the subject here, so please use that to curse them, look for solutions or generall grouse about their mental capacity.   Not a nice situation for the forum users that hosted all their photos there, and there will now be a host of useless threads that relied heavily on photos from PB, but as there's not much we can do other than petition for a more equitable solution, I suggest we make the best of what we have and move on.  One thing is for certain.  It won't win them any friends, but they may not care at this point.    Mike.
Bullbasket

Welded Cromwell Mk.Vllw.

53 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

As sitting at my modelling desk is not an option for me at the moment, so therefore I can't get much modelling done, the following WIP is a model that I built about three years ago. Apart from Shermans, the other WWll tank that I have a real liking for is the Cromwell. I've built around half a dozen in 1/35th and 1/48th scales and I'm always on the lookout for second hand ones at various shows as there are more variants that I want to build.

The Cromwell that I will be doing the WIP for, is the Mk.Vllw. These tanks were basically upgraded Mk.lV's with added armour and 15.5 inch track as opposed to the 14 inch of other Cromwells. Some of them also had welded hulls instead of riveted ones, hence the “w” in the designation. In addition, some (if not all, not too sure of my facts here), were fitted with the so called “Vauxhall Hatch”. This hatch made it easier for the driver to exit the tank in an emergency, something that proved to be impossible when the turret was in a certain position with previous hatches.

To build this model would require the only game in town in this scale, namely the 20 year old Tamiya kit (yes, I know about SKP's offering, but this is an easier build). Even by today's standards, this is still an excellent kit, but it has one or two mistakes, which I will come to later. As well as some scratch building, I used the 75mm main gun from RB Models and also the 15.5 inch tracks from SKP (never again!) Photos of Mk.Vllw Cromwells are few and far between, but I did come across one in the Capricorn Publication book on the Czech Independent Armoured Brigade on page 38 showing T121777w. There are also three photos of a Mk.Vllw in the Polish publication Tank Power No.373 Cromwell, that show the additional armour quite well. I had a couple of SKP's rub down decal sheets covering the CIAB, so I could do this tank, just needing to source the “62” on the turret from elsewhere.

872ab441-bdb3-4ea0-9c4f-2377e7b2b480.JPG

And so to the build. Starting with the lower hull, there were a couple of modifications that I wanted to make to the swing arms so that part of the suspension could be compressed to appear to be travelling over uneven ground. I did this once before in a previous build and it is quite easy. I wanted the second and third road wheels to be able to compress and to do that the stops were removed with a sharp blade. This allows the arms to swing free..........

1916f188-ca1c-4b55-b4b3-604d64a23eef.JPG

...................and allow the arms to do this.

25c4c972-c0d8-4ef8-b171-a0716899d23c.JPG

Because I was going to position the drivers hatch in the open position, I put a rudimentary interior in place. This consisted of a seat from Academy's Stuart and the brake levers from the same maker's M3 Grant. Added to that were some pieces of card to represent the various panels etc.

e8409665-d8af-4ce2-8e99-449a911fe2f5.JPG

Thanks for looking.

John.

Edited by Bullbasket
I hadn't finished!
7 people like this

Another interesting model on your desk. 

Following with interest! :)

19 hours ago, Kris B said:

Another interesting model on your desk. 

18 hours ago, clive_t said:

Following with interest! :)

Thanks a lot both. Gotta love Cromwells.

John.

Funny, I've also plans for a Cromwell.

accarm11.jpg

2 people like this

Yep, that's on my wish list, along with the Avenger also.

John.

:popcorn::popcorn: looking forward to this build.

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, Ozzy said:

:popcorn::popcorn: looking forward to this build.

Glad to hear it. More soon.

John.

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Yep, that's on my wish list, along with the Avenger also.

Avenger???

:huh:

1 hour ago, Antoine said:

Avenger???

Yes, it would probably be a bit more difficult to convert as it was a bit of a mish mash of  Cromwell, Challenger and Comet parts. Plus that turret wouldn't be the easiest thing to build.

John.

Don't know if it's just me or not but I can;t see any pictures in the first posting :huh:

Gondor

John

The only pic I can see is of the Charioteer  resin.

Good old Photobucket has sure screwed things up.

Lloyd

8 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

Don't know if it's just me or not but I can;t see any pictures in the first posting :huh:

Gondor

7 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

John

The only pic I can see is of the Charioteer  resin.

Good old Photobucket has sure screwed things up.

Lloyd

Well, this is a strange one, as I can see all four of the photos that I originally posted. Can't blame Photobucket as I haven't used them for a couple of years. All of these photos were stored on CD, before being uploaded to Village Photos. So, all I can say is, is anyone else having trouble seeing the photos?

John.

Hi,I can not see the pics either,and I use Village Photos,you put me on to them when I joined,I once made the mistake and deleted them from that site and the pics disappeared,but like you I could see them and no one else could,hope this is of some help.Cheers

I can't see any of your pictures now John, but I was able to when I first saw the thread.

18 minutes ago, Jim Wasley said:

Hi,I can not see the pics either,and I use Village Photos,you put me on to them when I joined,I once made the mistake and deleted them from that site and the pics disappeared,but like you I could see them and no one else could,hope this is of some help.Cheers

4 minutes ago, clive_t said:

I can't see any of your pictures now John, but I was able to when I first saw the thread.

Well, it's amazing how addled your brain can get in later years. When I read your post Jim, I suddenly realised what I'd done, I'd deleted them from Village photos. Though why they are still visible to me, I don't understand. I'll rectify my cockup and hope it all goes back the way it was. Can you let me know if they appear again please?

Sorry about that.

John.

OK, hopefully they are back. Can you see them?

John.

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

OK, hopefully they are back. Can you see them?

John.

Nope, no photos in the first post. If you've reloaded them to Village Photos then the link url will have probably changed so the first thread needs editing and the new url inserting.

P

Edited by PDH
1 person likes this

Still no joy for me John :(

1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, PDH said:

Nope, no photos in the first post. If you've reloaded them to Village Photos then the link url will have probably changed so the first thread needs editing and the new url inserting.

Took this on board and started again. OK now? (he said with fingers crossed).

John.

Hi John,

pictures coming through loud & clear,

spad

1 person likes this

Yep, all good for me now :yes:

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Took this on board and started again. OK now? (he said with fingers crossed).

John.

Yep, all good now John.

Happy go help!!

P

1 hour ago, spaddad said:

Hi John,

pictures coming through loud & clear,

spad

1 hour ago, clive_t said:

Yep, all good for me now :yes:

53 minutes ago, PDH said:

Yep, all good now John.

Happy go help!!

P

Glad that's all sorted. Many thanks to everyone who replied. I've learned two things from this. 1. Just because I upload the same photo twice, doesn't mean that it has the same url. 2. The older I get, the worse my memory gets. Now where did I leave my medication? NURSE!!

John.

2 people like this