Esci/Trumpeter F-100D - Viking Style

The Williams paint shop has just wheeled out its latest creation in the form of a further Super Sabre. This time it is an F-100D operated by the Flyvevåbnet, the Royal Danish Air Force. I had wanted to build one of these highly weathered and touched up machines for a long time.

It is built by following my previous and successful method of merging the Esci and Trumpeter kits, using the slatted wing of the latter. This produces the most representative 1/72 model, being accurate all round rather than using the Trumpeter kit straight and tolerating the narrow cockpit and inaccurate intake. The Esci has the right dimensions and accepts the wings easily. The downside is that you lose the extra detail of the Trumpeter! Hey ho! I did get lazy at one point and elected not to set the tail plane on a pivot, as I did with my C-model, so that it I could sit with this slightly tilted back as they were without the hydraulics powered up. Some sat without this tilt and so it convinced me.

I have depicted her as a G-744 as I imagine she was shortly before being transferred to the Turkish Air Force via Aviano AB, Italy in 1981-82 and thereafter operated by the 8th Main Jet Base, Konya. I referenced images (including those below) from a while before this time and at the time of transfer, producing what I feel is a reasonable compromise. Of course, in Turkish service the ex-Danish machines never went for depot maintenance - flying them until they wore out - and so weathered and weathered more and more until they finally stopped and were retired!

My reference images included:

DAN14

DAN G-744 2

What did I do? Well:

• Used Esci kit plus Trumpeter wings, slats, pylons, wing tanks, main gear legs and doors.

• Drilled out the intake to give more depth

• Drilled out the rear fuselage to accommodate the jet pipe and refine the edges

• Used Aires jet pipe with the kit “F-102”-style afterburner can, modified to make it more accurate.

• Aires cockpit set with a Pavla Martin Baker seat (as close to Mk5 as I could)

• Removed the wing fences

• Added wing tip RHAW antennas made from plastic rod, TACAN aerial on top of the nose, additional nose blade aerials (RWR, UHF, Old Bullpup)

• Added static disperser to the rear of the fin (using a fine house brush fibre)

• Added new nav light on top of the fuselage from plastic rod, mid way, and lights on the RHAW pods on the wings.

The paint scheme was achieved by using a lightened (with white) Humbrol 86 Light Olive Drab with a 116 US Dark Green (FS34079) to add the re-painted seams, etc. The rear end was painted 1) Humbrol 191 and then 2) Humbrol 63 Sand in light airbrush strokes so the 191 shows through a little. Then I used Tamiya Weathering Sets to add variation all over – Green, Silver and Oil stain primarily. Here and there I used a very fine sanding stick to buff up areas that got some wear and tear. I weathered her with Flory Dirt.

The decals are the excellent Stoppel set, which includes great stencils and technical markings. The only thing I had to make was the serial (including the tail) because there wasn’t two “4”s to make the G-744. I printed these on my computer.

I had some great guidance from Jens on the forum too. :). Thanks Jens.

I hope you like her. These are not the best images. When I get my daylight lamps set up I will re--post.

G744portfront

G744rearstarboard

Martin

• Like 45

Thanks mate. I now have to finish my F-100F that I posted in Real MrEd's thread (WIP). I am at the painting stage with that. It is an Italeri kit also merged with the Trumpeter wing.

Martin

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

The Williams paint shop has just wheeled out its latest creation in the form of a further Super Sabre. This time it is an F-100D operated by the Flyvevåbnet, the Royal Danish Air Force. I had wanted to build one of these highly weathered and touched up machines for a long time.

It is built by following my previous and successful method of merging the Esci and Trumpeter kits, using the slatted wing of the latter. This produces the most representative 1/72 model, being accurate all round rather than using the Trumpeter kit straight and tolerating the narrow cockpit and inaccurate intake. The Esci has the right dimensions and accepts the wings easily. The downside is that you lose the extra detail of the Trumpeter! Hey ho! I did get lazy at one point and elected not to set the tail plane on a pivot, as I did with my C-model, so that it I could sit with this slightly tilted back as they were without the hydraulics powered up. Some sat without this tilt and so it convinced me.

I have depicted her as a G-744 as I imagine she was shortly before being transferred to the Turkish Air Force via Aviano AB, Italy in 1981-82 and thereafter operated by the 8th Main Jet Base, Konya. I referenced images (including those below) from a while before this time and at the time of transfer, producing what I feel is a reasonable compromise. Of course, in Turkish service the ex-Danish machines never went for depot maintenance - flying them until they wore out - and so weathered and weathered more and more until they finally stopped and were retired!

My reference images included:

DAN14

DAN G-744 2

What did I do? Well:

• Used Esci kit plus Trumpeter wings, slats, pylons, wing tanks, main gear legs and doors.

• Drilled out the intake to give more depth

• Drilled out the rear fuselage to accommodate the jet pipe and refine the edges

• Used Aires jet pipe with the kit “F-102”-style afterburner can, modified to make it more accurate.

• Aires cockpit set with a Pavla Martin Baker seat (as close to Mk5 as I could)

• Removed the wing fences

• Added wing tip RHAW antennas made from plastic rod, TACAN aerial on top of the nose, additional nose blade aerials (RWR, UHF, Old Bullpup)

• Added static disperser to the rear of the fin (using a fine house brush fibre)

• Added new nav light on top of the fuselage from plastic rod, mid way, and lights on the RHAW pods on the wings.

The paint scheme was achieved by using a lightened (with white) Humbrol 86 Light Olive Drab with a 116 US Dark Green (FS34079) to add the re-painted seams, etc. The rear end was painted 1) Humbrol 191 and then 2) Humbrol 63 Sand in light airbrush strokes so the 191 shows through a little. Then I used Tamiya Weathering Sets to add variation all over – Green, Silver and Oil stain primarily. Here and there I used a very fine sanding stick to buff up areas that got some wear and tear. I weathered her with Flory Dirt.

The decals are the excellent Stoppel set, which includes great stencils and technical markings. The only thing I had to make was the serial (including the tail) because there wasn’t two “4”s to make the G-744. I printed these on my computer.

I had some great guidance from Jens on the forum too. :). Thanks Jens.

I hope you like her. These are not the best images. When I get my daylight lamps set up I will re--post.

G744portfront

G744rearstarboard

Martin

Hi Martin

Now I have some questions do all Danish F-100 used the F102 afterburner??? I didn't I need to replace the ejection seat so that noted and the other question is if slats are open and on the land the flaps will stay up??? one more thing about the wing fence???? So I have to remove it???

Best modeling

Armando

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RAGATIGER said:

Now I have some questions do all Danish F-100 used the F102 afterburner??? I didn't I need to replace the ejection seat so that noted and the other question is if slats are open and on the land the flaps will stay up??? one more thing about the wing fence???? So I have to remove it???

Hola Armando!

many questions:

Afterburner - it depends on the era that you are modelling. Earlier the Danish SSabres had standard afterburners.

Wing Fences - they removed them later, not exactly when the wing tip pods were fitted but around the same time

Seat - the MB was introduced later. 

Slats - driven hydraulically and dynamically so a machine at rest will always have them extended. On approach too as this clear one of the reasons for having them. 

I can PM you more details if you need.

Martin

1 hour ago, Vultures1 said:

Lovely job!  I really like that and appreciated your 'how to' on the Esci/Trumpeter cross-kit and the superb weathered paint work

Hi mate,

i didn't say that because the Trumpeter wing offers the flaps in 3 pieces per wing it adds more realism as these things rarely sit/sat exactly in line. The F-100 always sat flaps up but the slight differences and the gaps add a little extra to the build. It is easy to fit the wings as they are set on a level plane. I used a home made jig to set this and it was easy. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Hi Martin,

Superb job. Again the Trumpeter wings seem a great idea, like your previous one. Danish F-100s are one of my favourite subjects (I've become aware of this because every time I see mention of it I click as fast as I can) and your version conveys the famous Danish Greens well. Also great job on the research. Modellers with an eye for authenticity deserve credit for doing their research. I love it!

Jay

• Like 1

Thanks again, Jay.

I am not a sophisticated modeller and I improvise, as I am sure many do. My patented  ;)  jig for the wings is this:

jig

From this image you can see that the wings fit very well. When you remove the Esci wing it leaves a perfect slot for the Trumpeters to slide in to. :)

On the research side of things I guess different people see modelling differently. To me if you are going to build a model - a replica - you want it to be a close to the original as possible. The only way is to research as best you can.

Martin 

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Hi Martin!

Very nicely researched and executed Super Sabre build. The extended slats contribute a lot to realism and the complicated weathered look of Danish F-100 appears very convincing. Have always been enthusiastic about Century Fighters and  built Super Sabres of both, Esci and Italeri/Revell. Remember how happy I was when italeri released it´s kit in the late nineties as I thought it was the original Esci as usual, only to find out that the canopy had this strange additional strake in the rear.

Cheers and thanks again for the Starfighter decals

Mario

Good job, Martin!  Looks like a keeper!

I finally got the paint supply/bad hobby shop deal sorted, but am leaving tomorrow for a few days' holiday. Hope to get back to posting an update on my F-100F "Wild Weasel" build by the first of August....

Ed

Thanks Mario and Ed.

Ed - glad you got that sorted :) Enjoy the break

Mario - as I said before, I'm glad I could help you.

Now I'm back to getting this Italeri/Esci F-100F finished!

Martin

• Like 1