F14 tomcat

goose

The Fightertown decal sheet gives the FS numbers as 35237 for the darkest grey, 36320 for the mid grey and 36375 for the lightest grey. This equates to 145, 127 (which according to my chart is 26320 rather than 36320) and 126 (which again is listed as 26375 rather than 36375). Hope that this is of some help.

21 hours ago, Stephen said:

FS36375 and FS36320 are Humbrol #127 and 128 ,

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f-14/f-14_profile02.shtml

That is weird in the fact that on one Humbrol chart the paints are as I have given them and on an older Humbrol chart it is as you have given. I do wish that they would make up their minds which is which.

For the FS number, the first digit denotes level of gloss, ie. 3xxxx = flat, 2xxxx = semi-gloss and 1xxxxx = glossy. For example 15042 is glossy, while 35042 is flat, but they are both Dark Navy Blue.

Ed

Humbrol 126 in my charts has always been listed as a match for FS 36270, with 127 and 128 as the two ghost greys used on the Tomcat and other modern US aircrafts. In my experience these two are quite good matches, don't know what the current quality of Humbrol colours is like though

On 15/7/2017 at 7:35 AM, TheRealMrEd said:

For the FS number, the first digit denotes level of gloss, ie. 3xxxx = flat, 2xxxx = semi-gloss and 1xxxxx = glossy. For example 15042 is glossy, while 35042 is flat, but they are both Dark Navy Blue.

Ed

Small bit of trivia: we have to be careful as in the FS catalogues there have been instances where the gloss and flat colour with the same last 3 figures were not simply a gloss and flat version of the same colour but were different colours. All these should have been corrected in the latest issues of the catalogue but better check each case

In this case the correct colours to use are the flat ones, the reason why Humbrol listed 127 and 128 as semigloss is simply that these paints are indeed semigloss, together with a number of other paints that Humbrol introduced for modern aircrafts. This is not a problem for the modeller as a gloss coat would have to be applied for the decals and a final coat of matt varnish sorts everything if this finish is preferred. I have to say that the level of sheen of these paints is (or used to be, my tins are pretty old) very realistic anyway