1-72 Heinkel He-280 V2

Hi Anil,

Nice to hear from you and apologies for the late reply. What with the new job and house move I have yet to set up my modelling area and get this build back on track. I've also not had much time on BM. It should all come together between Christmas and New year and this will resume then.

Happy Christmas and all the best for 2018 to everyone, cheers,

Nigel

• Like 3

Happy Christmas & New Year everyone, happy modelling for 2018

Nigel, may I just ask, how do you decide which filler to use for different parts of the aircraft? You have used black and white Milliput, Squadron Green, CA and talc, PPP, (may have missed one here) on various parts, what's the deciding factor? We need to know how this Master Modeller chooses!

All the best everyone

Geoff

• Like 1

With filler I think it's very much horses for courses. There are of course two basic classes of filler, those that set be evaporation of a solvent and those that set by a chemical reaction between two components such as Milliput. The latter is best suited to dealing with large gaps as the solvent types tend to shrink in such circumstances and the drying time goes up exponentially with thickness (as it's a diffusion controlled process). I used the black Milliput round the canopy as there was a chance it could be visible on the inside and white might have stood out. I just used the black Milliput to lock the nose weight in place as it seams to have a shorter shelf life than the white and I am trying to use my stock up. I think the white has finer working properties. Both types can of course be cleaned up with water to some extent but sanding tends to give a better result, they both sand easily. I tend to use Squadron green for general seam filling jobs such as fuselage joints. If a second application of filler is required in such cases I will often use Squadron white as it gives a contrast with the green when sanding back. Both have good sanding characteristics. Perfect Plastic Putty is great for re-entrant joints such as wing roots where excess putty can be removed with a lightly dampened (Tamiya) cotton bud without any risk of losing adjacent surface detail and sanding is difficult anyway. The filler made using CA mixed with talc is good for jobs where good adhesion is required, it sticks much more strongly than other types of filler. The addition of talc catalyses the setting of the CA so working time is limited to a few minutes but on the other hand it is also ready to be sanded back after say just ten minutes.

HTH

• Thanks 1

Well, as promised I have got a new build area set up, nothing fancy but hopefully adequate and made some progress today. After going over all the RLM 99 with some fine sanding sticks I have made a start on masking it, first the underside of the wings:

P1150548_zpsej6u6kwd.jpg

Then the upper surface wing roots:

P1150549_zpsnsaikpc3.jpg

Well that's as far as I've got, it's not much of an update but at least this is now restarted which was kind of the hard bit. There is obviously lots more masking to be done before the upper surface colours can be applied but hopefully I should get there next weekend.

Bye for now and a happy new year to all,

Nigel

• Like 10

Today I have finished off all the masking of the RLM 99:

P1150557_zpsev26velu.jpg

P1150556_zpsnxqdjkk1.jpg

Unfortunately it's just a bit too late in the day to break out my airbrush. I will get the RLM 75 and hopefully the RLM 74 applied tomorrow. Instead I might make a start on my 1/35th Sherman for the ongoing GB.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 7

The first modelling job of the day was to get the RLM 75 applied:

P1150569_zpsyc6lui05.jpg

I was not entirely happy with that. My airbrush created several spatters and the paint is a bit thin on the engines:

P1150570_zpsyrfuitar.jpg

I'll let that harden up over the week and then deal with the paint blobs and apply a second coat next weekend. I spent the rest of the day working on my Sherman.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 7

Having sanded off all the offending paint blobs yesterday my first modelling job of the day was to apply a second coat of RLM 75 which came out much better:

P1150578_zpsp8uwvpkm.jpg

I'll leave that for a another week to harden up and then start masking for the RLM 74. The rest of the day was spent quietly progressing things on my Sherman.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 7

Today I have been mainly applying the masking in readiness for an application of RLM 74, here is the job finished:

P1150593_zpsqq5uttbk.jpg

P1150594_zpsmbkyt3ew.jpg

As a reminder here is what the scheme should look like:

P1150595_zpskzwrzro1.jpg

P1150596_zps3g6jsynk.jpg

Its too late and too rainy today to breakout my airbrush now but it will be the first job tomorrow conditions permitting.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 7

Give it large with the airbrush say we in Basingstoke! I've just picked an RS Me 309 whiffer and this is getting me inspired to mangle my first RS kit, ps if it makes me cry would give me a hug (or perhaps a serving of the pork medallions with cream and mustard sauce?

A

• Like 1