20170820_223345.jpg

20170820_223355.jpg

- vegetable salad with sunflower oil**

- mashed potatoes on natural village home made smetana and

buttery;

- pork fried in wok with vegetables, tomato and soy sauce;

- pickled cucumber made through souring by lacto-fermentation metodic;

- black bread;

....and mashed potatoes coloring beet... for children. :):)

Sergei,

Schwarzbrot ... brings Back happy memories of holidays with the Austrian relatives, good coffee, a Jausen mit schwarzbrot ..

You brought back some happy memories .....

Edited by Whofan
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 28/08/2017 at 7:31 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

:o!

Saffron roast potatoes..

:Tasty:!

The Heinkel is, of course, coming along very nicely :thumbsup2: .

Saffron roast potatoes.... :heart: 

Oh dear, I hadn't seen Nigel's recipes before I commented on Serge's meal ... saffron roasted potatoes... He 280 .... saffron roasted potatoes ....

I'm just popping out to the potato patch, must check with SWIMBO how much saffron we've got ...

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 3

I'm just popping out to the potato patch

Wasn't it a bit dark?

After following Tony's suggestion this is how my lamb shank dish came out:

P1150306_zpsemfgacsa.jpg

Despite having half a green and red chilli + a cinnamon stick and cumin seeds it wasn't in the least bit spicy, it just tasted of lamb  to me - go figure.

Tonight I also made a griddled nectarine and feta salad for tomorrow's lunchbox:

P1150305_zpsvnuawebn.jpg

I seam to have made a few curries recently, last night a pork vindaloo with lemon and turmeric rice:

P1150288_zps0cwk8uj7.jpg

And on Friday I made a lamb rogan josh:

P1150284_zpsqtvqgvwf.jpg

Both of those were from "Jamie's Ministry of Food", the rogan josh was the better of the two.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

I'm just popping out to the potato patch

36 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

Wasn't it a bit dark?

Outside light comes on. The potato patch is in our garden.

Plundered the King Edwards, got one out weighing 22 ounces. Now I've got to find out what the saffron stocks are like.

Incidentally, my wife does a very nice orange (au naturel, not cooked or heated in any way)  and feta salad, must subliminally introduce griddled nectarines.

I will now stop talknig about your curries and lanb shanks as it only makes me jealous. Please continue with modelling as that doesn't enccourage me to eat and put weight on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yum! Just out of interest, what dressing do you use on the nectarine salad?

Before griddling the nectarine segments were tossed in a mixture of lime juice and extra virgin oil. The remainder of that was then used to make a dressing for the rest of the salad, adding some more lime juice, grated lime zest, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. I will of course not add the dressing until I'm just about to eat the salad.

After dinner I could not resist getting a bit more done. To try to ensure the strongest possible joints for the fins I partially filled the rather shallow mounting slots with liquid cement:

P1150307_zpssoftvy75.jpg

I removed the clamp from the canopy and all was good with a much better profile than before (it never ceases to amaze me the strength a set glue can have, it took quite a bit of finger pressure to spring the canopy into the best position). Here are the added fins plus I have temporarily tacked on the rear canopy with a few small dabs of Gator grip:

P1150308_zpspvxakjl7.jpg

I think all is now ready for some primer although I will spray the cockpit interior colour over the canopy first.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 10

54 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

Before griddling the nectarine segments were tossed in a mixture of lime juice and extra virgin oil. The remainder of that was then used to make a dressing for the rest of the salad, adding some more lime juice, grated lime zest, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. I will of course not add the dressing until I'm just about to eat the salad.

Many thanks, Nigel. It sounds lovely!

• Like 1

Coming along nicely Nigey. However, should the join of the fins to the tailplane prove to weak, drill into the tailplane as though you were going to pin it, which you are. Then drill all the way through the fins and instead of pinning with brass rod, use Albion Alloys aluminium tube for the job. This ands down at pretty much the same rate a most kit plastics and will leave an invisible join. This does work. I have used the method myself and it gives a pretty strong join.

Martian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Excellent work as usual Mr Heath :Tasty:.

Nice punch set, but my heart sinks every time that I see that something comes from the US: the freight rates to Oz are SO EXORBITANT that the charges are often many times the cost of the item being shipped. If I were wanting to make an (export) economy 'great againTM', I would take a very close look at the US freight cartel. It's well past time that something was done about it.

Freight costs are so ridiculous that I intend to make my own punch set once my little lathe and mill are operational again. I've had enough of US freight gougers. The UK and European setups are far more reasonable. End of rant :rant:.

All that talk by Messrs Tiger and Heath about slow stewing and dumplings have made me drool :Tasty: again. Nothing quite like a nice hot fluffy dumpling, I always say :).

Looking forward to the next instalment, Mr Heath.

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- not a dumpling...or is it?

• Like 4

During installation of the masking on this engine exhaust last weekend the central cone became detached and was left rattling around in the engine. After a bit of a think I further drilled out the hole in the intake and after much fiddling with a length of brass wire eventually got it back in the right place and secured it with some Gator Grip. Unfortunately all the fiddling around with it resulted in damage to the burnt iron finish so I masked the area up and reapplied some more Alclad paint:

P1150320_zpstqlyc1fd.jpg

After reinstating the masking to the exhaust area I applied a coat of grey Alclad primer:

P1150321_zpsczmz4oaf.jpg

As intended that has highlighted numerous areas requiring attention, notably this cracked seam on the underside:

P1150322_zps7fneso2j.jpg

The front of the canopy also needs an application of filler, white Milliput should be best here I think:

P1150323_zps71p1xhnl.jpg

I should get a bit more done today, I'm just giving an update while the primer hardens up.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 10

Good save on the engine Nigel :thumbsup2: 

Good to see that the lamb came out well. Those curries look just gorgeous. I desperately need to lose weight, but I could succumb to a Rogan Josh :Tasty:

Alex's sheep does look like a dumpling, it has to be said :lol:.

You've sorted out the canopy well, but it looks like there's an argument for someone to tool up an aftermarket vac-form canopy for this kit. 

There are a few boxings of it. I bet the canopy would sell well. Rob Taurus springs to mind; although I do wish Mr. Falcon would do some new sets :pray: .

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

Nigel, you may recall that earlier in your build, you were wondering what those four half-tubes parts were and I said they were halves of the exhaust tubes for alternate Heinkel-built engines. Here is a photo of a He280 fitted with those engines. I found it on a disc full of images I had found on the Interweb years ago. Unfortunately, I didn't record from what source.

Heinkel He280

Chris

• Like 4

I filled the seam on the underside as well as giving the primer an all over sanding with various sanding sticks and rescribed where I had filled:

P1150324_zpsiqjiahkv.jpg

I started filling round the front canopy with a mix of white Milliput but then found that this gap looked as though it went all the way through so mixed up some black Milliput to finish off the filling job:

P1150326_zps9rkbqsjn.jpg

Here is the finished filling job:

P1150327_zpsqzhxddpx.jpg

Next I fitted a 0.2mm nozzle to my airbrush and preshaded the underside:

P1150328_zpsaipfzgla.jpg

I had had a second go at filling the pesky seam on the underside but it still looked like there was a crack there so I flooded the seam with liquid poly and squeezed it together using the wings. That extruded a slight bead of plastic which I then sanded off when it had hardened up:

P1150329_zpskefvyrcz.jpg

To facilitate spraying the underside I then fitted a nice secure Blu Tack handle:

P1150330_zpsrngulut6.jpg

Now I could apply the RLM99, not forgetting the undercarriage doors:

P1150331_zpsship0ywo.jpg

I'll let that harden up overnight and see if I can get any more done tomorrow. I may not as I start a new job on Monday near Bournemouth so have to pack a bag and drive there tomorrow. 

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 12

Nice work Nigel. Sometimes those never ending seams defy all science and logic.

Good luck with the new job :thumbsup2: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Looking good Nigel - that seam was a pain but you've mastered it, as usual.

I like the BluTak handle! :D

Good luck with the new job, fingers crossed here.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey Nigel

Whats happening? Been a few months, since this beastie got any love, hows the whole Bournemouth thang going? I have some property down there as well as my dear old mum in nice bungalow so our paths may cross again shortly. And if you're not too busy, get on with this , I wanna see how it turns out, dont make me ask Attitude Adjustor directly :-)

Cheers

Anil

• Like 1
  • Haha 1