1-72 Heinkel He-280 V2

Coming along nicely but it looks like some crash moulding loome large in you immediate future!

Aww god I hadn't even thought of that as an option - good call though it might be the best way to go.

• Like 1

Hello Nigel, it might be a bit late now but;

I was searching for DH 9 information and in the course of that, found this with plans of the various Heinkel 280's:

http://www.aviapress.com/viewonekit.htm?AVV-200104

Around half way down the page.

Best regards

TonyT

PS: Thanks for the information on the punch and die set :)

• Like 2

Thanks Tony,

I have extracted the information here for my own reference purposes:

Aviatsija i Vremya Aviatsija i Vremya  N4 2001 (1/72 DH.9A / Polikarpov R-1 Reconnaissance Aircraft, 1/72 Heinkel He-280 Jet Fighter scale plans) magazine. Pic.7
Aviatsija i Vremya Aviatsija i Vremya N4 2001 (1/72 DH.9A / Polikarpov R-1 Reconnaissance Aircraft, 1/72 Heinkel He-280 Jet Fighter scale plans) magazine. Pic.7

AVV-200104 Aviatsija i Vremya N4 2001 (1/72 DH.9A / Polikarpov R-1 Reconnaissance Aircraft, 1/72 Heinkel He-280 Jet Fighter scale plans) magazine

Contents
Airspace salon Le Bourget-2001
The army scout R-1
Battle application R-1
Civil aviation on a boundary of centuries. Trunk-route aeroplanes
Aircraft overhaul plant Aviacon
The first jet planes of firm Heincel
Unique Yugoslavian ace BR> Lugansk air repair factory
Air museum in Lugansk
44 pages, 88 photos, 4 colour case histories, 1 tab
Colour case histories of airplanes; D.H.9A; R-1; MR-1
On the tab the drawings of an airplane R-1

Illustrations
1. D.H.9A Ukrainsky chekist (Ukrainian official of Cheka)
2. D.H.9A of Ilich detachment. Summer 1924
3. MR-1 of 68-th hydroairdetachment. Region of Chinese Eastern railway. Autumn 1929
4. Ilushin Il-96M aircraft
5. Tupolev Tu-124 aircraft

• Like 2

Very nice Nigel. Great tip for adding the wings. Thanks for the info on the punch too.

I've been looking at the RP Toolz one but it's soooo expensive. :unsure: stupid punch and die set. :blush:

Keep up up the great work.

Johnny

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

After a bit of a break I finally got some bench time today. Here is a little update on how things are looking, there are some quite big gaps between the recently added engines and the wings:

P1150240_zpsufjtwn9z.jpg

This photo is not terribly clear but there are also a few gaps on the underside of the wings:

P1150241_zpsba8c1lmh.jpg

Those were dealt with using a combination of PPP and Squadron green fillers. Next I had a look in my spares box for a base for the gun sight and found these leftover from my Osprey build:

P1150242_zpsvpteqnvu.jpg

Here it is added along with the filled engine gaps:

P1150243_zpsmwubmyaf.jpg

Next the masking for the coaming needed a sponge plug made using one of my punch sets:

P1150244_zpskjm75xgb.jpg

That was then sliced in half and inserted like so:

P1150245_zps27lyblxp.jpg

The masking was then completed with a cut down sandwich bag and household masking tape:

P1150246_zpsdecqmyph.jpg

While I am breaking out the matt black for the coaming I thought it would be a good idea to mask the wheel hubs so they could be included in the fun. The position of the 7.2mm punch hole is rather tight against one of the guide pins so one of the edges was a bit short:

P1150247_zpss9jyfebi.jpg

Nothing too critical though as the gap was filled in with a bit of extra tape. Right, now to break out the airbrush.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 9

On 08.08.2017 at 11:50 PM, Nigel Heath said:

Thanks Tony,

I have extracted the information here for my own reference purposes:

Aviatsija i Vremya Aviatsija i Vremya  N4 2001 (1/72 DH.9A / Polikarpov R-1 Reconnaissance Aircraft, 1/72 Heinkel He-280 Jet Fighter scale plans) magazine. Pic.7
Aviatsija i Vremya Aviatsija i Vremya N4 2001 (1/72 DH.9A / Polikarpov R-1 Reconnaissance Aircraft, 1/72 Heinkel He-280 Jet Fighter scale plans) magazine. Pic.7

AiV based on  "TcAGI technical manual He-280. 1946 year" with original russian drawings based on german drawings captured after WW2:

2801.jpg

2802.jpg

2803.jpg

2804.jpg

2805.jpg

2806.jpg2807.jpg

2808.jpg

2809.jpg

B.R.

Serge
P.S. 8 pages about He-280 on russian:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21435&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 5

PPS.

Interesting fact. According to descriptions of TsAGI He-280, Me-262 that on him the scheme with an average arrangement of a wing has been applied was considered as aerodynamically more perfect what. The scheme with the lower arrangement of a wing as at Me-262 at that time in TsAGI was considered as outdated. At the same time, Me-262 according to TsAGI had over He-280 in internal cutaway and technological effectiveness of production.
By different estimates after WW2 of the USSR from 3 to 5 He-280 of various extent of damages have got. However in difference from Me-262, any of them to a flight state hasn't been restored. Direct influence of He-280 on development of Su-9 (as well as Me-262) it is very disputable as Su-9 has begun to be developed in 1944, and in 1944 the wooden mock-up of the plane which will call Su-9 subsequently has been constructed. At the same time it is impossible to exclude receipts of information in the USSR on He-280 during WW2 in the area of military (GRU) or the political (NKVD - People's Commissariat for Internal Affairs) investigation which had rather extensive and effective espionage network in Germany.

But documents confirming it at the moment it isn't published.

From the published documents it is known only that before the arrest in 1942 only the Harro Schulze-Boysen group

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harro_Schulze-Boysen

entering the Red Chapel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Orchestra_(espionage)

has transferred to Moscow over 13000 documents of the concerning arms and activity of Luftwaffe. But the Harro Schulze-Boysen group was only one of divisions of the Red Chapel, the general structure of the Red Chapel is officially not disclosed still.

B.R.

Serge

Here is how the coaming came out after unmasking along with the wheels. I have also cleaned up the filler on the engines:

P1150248_zpssh6tzoji.jpg

Before taking the masking off the wheels they got a further coat of Alclad semi matt varnish:

P1150249_zpshfxwhced.jpg

Next I started on the masking for the rear cockpit wall:

P1150250_zps9ja8lrmj.jpg

I now have to go off and start cooking some brisket for my dinner, I might get a bit more done later we shall see.

Buy for now,

Nigel

• Like 10

After I got my brisket bubbling away on the stove I did manage to get a little more done. As the back of the cockpit needs a coat of RLM02 I thought it was worth now prepping the undercarriage parts that also require that colour. The three doors for the front gear come moulded as a single part that requires splitting, I used a scalpel to cut off the front part and then a Trumpeter scriber to separate the two rear doors:

P1150251_zpss7oa8lw7.jpg

Next I made a new retraction strut for the nose gear using 0.5mm rod and 0.7mm brass tube:

P1150252_zpsq04ffoil.jpg

The retraction struts for the main gear are very similar and will be fashioned in a similar way, I will also label them as it would be quite easy to get them mixed up:

P1150253_zpsb4igera3.jpg

By close of play I had got all these ready from some primer:

P1150254_zpsn3pejhbe.jpg

So I just have the main gear legs and retraction struts to get done before breaking out the airbrush again.

Bye for now,

Nigel - off to enjoy some brisket, red onion marmalade and buttery mashed potatoes. :eat:

• Like 9

Very nice stuff Nigel :) 

nice work on the struts and a great tip punching out the foam for masking. Another excuse for a big punch set!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

buttery mashed potatoes.

Buttery mashed potatoes, only with buttery?

Without use home-made village smetana* mashed potatoes

doesn't grow dumb that air taste which

delicate mashed potatoes has to have!

Jamie Oliver in TV-show recommended to add cream or milk to mashed potatoes, but in my opinion cream isn't full replacement of smetana, as have no that sourness which is inherent in smetana, milk too liquid.

;):)

Aardvark family dinner:

20170820_223345.jpg

20170820_223355.jpg

- vegetable salad with sunflower oil**

- mashed potatoes on natural village home made smetana and

buttery;

- pork fried in wok with vegetables, tomato and soy sauce;

- pickled cucumber made through souring by lacto-fermentation metodic;

- black bread;

....and mashed potatoes coloring beet... for children. :):)

B.R.

Serge

* - smetana:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smetana_(dairy_product)

**- sunflower oil:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunflower_oil

• Like 4

Brisket is a Texas food . You got love it if cook correctly 

I know Rick, I love what you do in the USA to lovely slow cooked and barbecued meat. Here is what my brisket dinner looked like with its home made red onion jam, buttery mash and gravy:

P1150255_zpssz8gacch.jpg 

It say not be looker but it was lovely to eat.

Last night I made another slow cooked dinner using pork belly with crispy crackling, braised fennel and salsa verde:

P1150239_zpsrtcrpq64.jpg

That was also very good.

Buttery mashed potatoes, only with buttery?

Well I did add milk to my potatoes and I sometimes add creme fraiche which is quite like smetana I think.

....and mashed potatoes colouring beet... for children.

20170820_223345.jpg

I was wondering what that weird purple stuff was. It all looks good to me.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Nigel Heath said:

home made red onion jam,

This recipe:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/09/red-onion-jam-recipe.html

????????

Hmmm, I didn't know about such recipe!
Here apply more rough recipe when crude onions are pickled in vinegar with sugar, pepper, and sunflawer oil within days. It was used as snack to vodka, at the end of 80 - the 90th years, hasn't been forced out by hot appetizers yet.

:)

Well I did add milk to my potatoes and I sometimes add creme fraiche which is quite like smetana I think.

I can show only a photo, but it doesn't transfer either taste or consistence.

20170821_012459.jpg

Factory smetana has the maximum fat content of 25%, the minimum fat content of 15% and it can be drunk as yogurt. Home-made smetana has fat content about 50% and is already closer to buttery.

It is very interesting to observe as smetana emits water at addition in mashed potatoes, but then when stirring excess water is absorbed by potatoes and mashed potatoes gain this interesting, light air texture.
By the way you can receive rather interesting result if you add to mashed potatoes shaken up crude egg. Mashed potatoes at the same time will get a yellowish shade. But you have to be sure of quality of eggs because to ache with salmonellosis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmonellosis

rather unpleasantly.
Though 20 years ago I about such disease didn't even suspect. 

l was wondering what that weird purple stuff was

What is interesting, the taste at the same time almost doesn't change, at the same time dye natural! :)

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 4

Looking very good Nigel :).

The nose gear is much refined; I often forget how tiny the tube and rod components are that you show us. 

The discussion of potatoes is interesting. This weekend we had naturally fermented sauerkraut with a little chilli marinaded in it, cooked with mashed potato and chopped up, cooked lean bacon.

Delicious and inexpensive :eat:.

I'm hungry again now after all those pictures...

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Norman said:

Will the soldering iron be coming out ?

I have already used my soldering iron to make the levers in the cockpit, I might use it again if I decide to add a DF loop.

I have already used my soldering iron to make the levers in the cockpit, I might use it again if I decide to add a DF loop.

Ooops sorry Nigel , my mistake