Spitfire XIX Wing Markings

Seawinder

I'm at the decals stage of my Airfix 1:48 Spit XIX build and am about to mask/paint the wing walk lines. I'm doing one of the Xtradecal options, PS887, with B--type roundels on wing tops and fuselage. I came across the following photo (scanned from squadron/signal's Spitfire in Action:

Spitfire%20PRXIX%20PM655-L.jpg

I'm wondering about the stencils. The WALKWAY FORWARD markings appear to forward of the spanwise lines, somewhat outboard of the joins with the inner chordwise lines. In addition, there appear to be red stencils, one pair aft of the spanwise line and slightly inboard of the roundels, and one pair forward of the spanwise line and slightly inboard of the outer chordwise lines. Does anybody have any idea what they might read?

Also, does anybody know when the trapezoidal black walk areas outboard of the wing roots went into use?

Thanks for looking,

Pip

Edited by Seawinder
  • Thanks 1

Hello Pip!

I've been studying this particular photo as well.

Some PR.XIXs had "small" auxiliary tanks in the wings; between undercarriage bay and aileron (filler port is missing from the Airfix kit). Those red stencils you are asking about may have been octane rating and capacity markings for these tanks. The filler ports for the "main" wing tanks are located near the wing tip and there actually were red stencils about octane rating and capacity. These two markings look too similar to be just co-incidence.

Some notes about PR.XIX stencils:

- they varied; studying the photos suggests that at least two different "official marking guides" were used during the years

- detailed photos gives you the best idea what to use and where to place it

- colours used were yellow, red and black

I guess you are using Kitworld's stencils for your build. I used them for mine and they are not the most accurate ones I'm unafraid. Many items necessary for Mk. XIV and PR.XIX are missing, like all markings concerning the intercoolant or gear box oil level check. Then there are many that are just wrong, like the fuel markings (100/130 Gallons!) or the engine oil filer markings.

You might find some useful details in here:

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Antti.

Many thanks for the thoughtful response. I'm not using Kitworld's stencils -- I actually was not aware they existed. I just found a previous Britmodeller thread on the same subject to which you contributed. I guess I'm going to cobble together some of the more obvious stencils from a few sheets I have for other Griffon Spits and not worry too much about the rest. One of the Xtradecal sheets (Mk. 22) has red fuel stencils that will be close enough for the wings.

Thanks again,

Pip

Edited by Seawinder
typo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Antti.

I've just realized I can make the "NAmBT INTERCOOLANT" marking myself on my computer. Am I right in thinking it's located on the starboard side just aft of the rocker bulge? Having the whole marking on one line makes it very long, so I'm guessing it should be broken up, with INTERCOOLANT under NAmBT. Can you confirm that? If it is true, are the two lines left justified or centered over each other?

One other question, if I may:

Did the XIX use a Coffman Starter, and if so, where was it located? Also, was there a "COFFMAN STARTER" marking beneath it? A picture I've found on page 91 of a Model Art Special Issue on the Spitfire shows SW777 with a two-word marking on the starboard side starting above and slightly aft of the wing leading edge. Seems like a strange place for the starter location. Can you clarify?

Thanks again,

Pip

• Like 1

Hello Pip!

I have one photo showing the intercoolant text. It is located just the way you described, just above the horizontal panel line starting from the rocker cover (missing from the kit). The text is on two lines, like this:

INTERCOOLANT

N.A.M.B.T

It is interesting to note that:

- the letter b is capital although the text should read: N.A.M.b.T

- no period behind the letter T

It would be just brilliant if someone would do a proper stencil sheet for the 1/48 PR.XIX...

Best Regards,

Antti

• Thanks 1

On 26/7/2017 at 0:28 AM, Seawinder said:

SW777 with a two-word marking on the starboard side starting above and slightly aft of the wing leading edge. Seems like a strange place for the starter location.

it's the place of the breech, the starter is located forward, just behind the reduction gear

Cordially

BS_w