WW2 Color Footage of Little Norway - Norwegian AF Training Camp

occa

Btw interestingly in Part 2 at 13:55 there is a single row Cyclone engined AC (H75-A8) with the # 447.

Obviously that # was given twice as there is a known B/W shot of an H75-A6 with the same #  

cfMAEJT.png

• Like 1

And in the end we have a proof that Norwegian P-36Gs (H-75A-8) in Canada were painted (light) OD over NG like I supposed for last 30 years and NOT "duck egg green" overal like they appear on all the colour profiles until today :)

Cheers

Michaell

You can see that it is an overall color of you watch the air to air footage closely.

At altitudes colors appear to be darker than on the ground.

On 13.07.2017 at 5:58 PM, occa said:

cfMAEJT.png

Have a look here - there is NG easily visible both on main u/c fairings and on the rear fuselage under the digits. It is still more visible on the movie when three (or two) Hawks perform mock combat.

Even on the ground photo the mainwheel disks are NG like on US P-40s (and Peruvian P-36Gs).

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

On 15.7.2017 at 10:45 AM, occa said:

You could be right even, KRK4m, the obvious low contrast makes it difficult to distinguish.

Not sure about the actual colors tho ...

But I seem to make out demarcation lines especially on the underside of the nose, like here on this B/W photo:

curt-h75a8.jpg

http://www.aerofiles.com/_curt.html

After checking all photos that I could find I think that's^^ a reflection from the ground that causes the demarcation effect.

There's no evidence that points to a two color camouflage for the Norwegian H75-A8s..

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, JWM said:

Hi, I think that what you see at time about 12:10 IS OD/NG with waving demercation line on cowling. I do see this.

Regards

J-W

Lets agree to disagree:

FeLfbTS.jpg

Nothing to see on the nose, what is visible around the lower spine behind the trailing edge is weathering or the effect of oil stains IMO

• Like 1

5 hours ago, occa said:

Lets agree to disagree:

FeLfbTS.jpg

Nothing to see on the nose, what is visible around the lower spine behind the trailing edge is weathering or the effect of oil stains IMO

I'll agree to disagree too occa. From 8.36 to 8.49 my eyes tell me that I'm seeing all green Curtiss Hawks (apart from insignia etc) and that the wheel hubs are also green.

I asked my wife just to check I'm not seeing what I want to see, she sees all green aircraft too.

Regarding the two No. 447, I agree with you on that too. It had puzzled me for a while why there are records of two different ways 447 ended its days. The other aircraft was of a metal and or metal dope type finish.

I have pictures here, but no copyright ability to put them on BM.

Superb movies above :)

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 1

7 hours ago, occa said:

Lets agree to disagree:

Below the number there is something like wave demarcation line, on cowling is not visble

Interesting, that colour from bottom looks darker than red belt of national insignia

Cheers

J-W

On 1.08.2017 at 11:36 PM, occa said:

All those H75-A8 pics there in your link further augment that it was only one overall color !

I agree. Howver please look at the differencies in PT 26/PT19 schemes, even for machines with the same numbers. I think they have enough time to repaint machines if not every half a year then every year, perhaps...

Cheers

J-W

On 8/1/2017 at 9:15 AM, JWM said:

Below the number there is something like wave demarcation line, on cowling is not visble

Interesting, that colour from bottom looks darker than red belt of national insignia

Cheers

J-W

Btw what you see as a demarcation line is the effect of different light conditions on the wing to fuselage fillet that runs past the trailing edge.

And why would they repaint an overall paint job to a two color camo or vice versa, not plausible ...

And to draw conclusions from comparing the paint job of the Fairchilds with the Curtiss AC is like the infamous comparison of apples with oranges lol ...

This should help... much better quality, as it's from a series of still photos and not from an old film. The colour does, indeed, seem to be Light Olive Drab, and a single colour.

Bob

Hawk 75.jpg

• Like 2

Great photo! It is difficult to determine the exact colour shade from a photo. It could possibly be Light Olive Drab, but it might also be some other light green colour. The ground personell at Little Norway referred to the colour as "apple green".

The photo does however confirm that it is green also on the undersides.

Nils

• Like 1