Airfix DHC2 Beaver questions .

NZKIWI

I have the Airfix Beaver which I would like to build in a scheme which I believe is civil and I am wondering about several features of the kit which I think might only be found on some military variants . On the centreline under the cabin/cockpit there is a raised feature with three things which might be vents , on the rear fuselage top , behind the wings there are three raised features a circular disc , a raised bar slightly starboard of the centreline and another smaller shape , and finally the windows and raised features on the wing centre section . I cannot see any of these in photos of civil Beavers though they are areas which do not often show up clearly in photos . Are these features I need to remove/fill in ? Any assistance appreciated . The aircraft I am building worked in the Antarctic .

hi wot ever,

contact Frank Morgan aka ModelArt Aust.

Francis built a 1/24  OZ Antartic Expedition BEAVER

a few years ago

mumbatatshunz !

hi wotever,

I looked the Expedition up

It was / is the A.N.A.R.E   Adventure  to the Frozen South  bbbbrrrr !

No Yanks .... I think !

There are Deeecalz around for these Expiditshunz.

cheery " modellin' " mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

!

2 hours ago, G.E.SAUNDERS said:

hi wotever,

I looked the Expedition up

It was / is the A.N.A.R.E   Adventure  to the Frozen South  bbbbrrrr !

No Yanks .... I think !

There are Deeecalz around for these Expiditshunz.

cheery " modellin' " mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

!

I think you will find they all had military serials !

Contact Red Roo Models in Glen Waverley, they sell the complete resin mods, decals and instructions for the ANARE Beaver.

Good price, great service, I have used their conversion sets with confidence.

Email - redroo[at]redroomodels.com

Disclaimer - I have no connection with this company

Rog

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roginoz said:

Contact Red Roo Models in Glen Waverley, they sell the complete resin mods, decals and instructions for the ANARE Beaver.

Good price, great service, I have used their conversion sets with confidence.

Email - redroo[at]redroomodels.com

Disclaimer - I have no connection with this company

Rog

I have decals , at this point I do not want to do an ANARE aircraft , or buy a conversion set , none of which were mentioned in the original question .

Looking at Scale Aircraft Modelling Volume 9 Number 7 of April 1987 which has the Beaver as its main theme and includes several plan views there seems to be a variety of fittings on the cabin roof but most of the civil Beavers seem to lack the two or four overhead windows (a shot of a USAF Beaver includes the notes 'showing the additional overhead windows installed for the USAF') and have very simple aerial fits.

The profiles in the article include some Antarctic Beavers - which one are you building - if its shown I can scan the profiles for you - send me PM with your email address.

Mike

• Like 1

The civil ones tended not to have the upper windows. The Airfix kit is pretty much based on the British Army AL1, so has antennae that are unique to that version. You can see some of them here:

1282792-large.jpg

This site is a a good resource for Beaver pics

http://www.dhc-2.com/current_cover_page.htm

e.g. http://www.dhc-2.com/cn1233.html

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

from Neil's amazing website, you'll find the following con numbers;

VP-FAJ = 1342

VP-FAE = 500

VP-FAV = 1233

1342 results in this -missing entry.

500 (2) results in this - http://www.dhc-2.com/cn500.html

1233 results in this - http://www.dhc-2.com/cn1233.html

I trust these details help you on your build of my all-time favourite aircraft?

A friend has borrowed my stash of Beaver decals, where I have examples of most that have been produced so far. I also have a somewhat healthy collection of Airfix Beaver kits, and spare bits, so if you break, or find anything missing then please let me know and I'll post parts to you.

As for your choice of subject matter, I have a passion for these particular aircraft myself, so I'll be looking forward to following any build thread that you may create.

Before I forget, here's a link to Adesalis' Beaver build, showing the work he did to the roof windows, on page 4 of his build thread, 

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=372&t=29527&hilit=Beaver&start=60

Edited by The Cameraman
  • Like 1