Bell X-1 "Glamorous Glennis" (Hobby Craft 1/72)

Dear Fellow Modellers,

This is a late entry but after being very inactive in BM for most of this year, due to work and my German course, and having passed my German B2-level certification exam, I thought I should restart my modelling activities with a really simple OOB build.

So, I chose the Hobby Craft 1/72 Bell X-1, which I bought second hand in eBay. The idea was to build the "Glamorous Glennis" aircraft used by "Chuck" Yeager to break the sound barrier on October 14, 1947.

I've been building it since July 1st, but the troubles with PB delayed my posting of the work already done.

Here's the kit:

y4m2Jk85InjDLnAYVYNJ2KvZ7IJxGJOK9e9cpDEi

IMAG4638

It's really simple and well detailed.

Here are some references I've been using for this build:

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/bell-x-1

https://ninetalis.com/walkarounds/aircraft/bell-x-1-glamorous-glennis/

http://www.skytamer.com/1.2/2002/2136.jpg

Since the kit's instructions are a bit basic, I also used Eduard's 1/48 kit instructions to clarify details and colours.

I started by removing the canopy from the sprue, using a micro-saw:

y4mHrBRVS9aekp9kwu_-momEfyxoc1litDbLipVl

IMAG4639

y4mM_e6F8-DJpQT5JZsOr2kcXQZqNgMzW6lwNrbS

IMAG4640

In the process of removing the remaining stubs, I damaged the transparent areas near the edges:

y4m7aScRpK2VqQwvG0h_JPXf6U3b1gU7mjCDmzdO

IMAG4641

The transparency was recovered using a sequence of micro-mesh pads and polishing fluid in the end:

y4m8OsNwwRH-2jAX5aJGr6roTH90vg_JeRJKsiuN

IMAG4642

Finally, the canopy took a bath in Alclad's Aqua Gloss, to improve transparency and brilliance and was put aside to dry:

y4m4UrneoksWIpkWIEkV3rH7ZNrG2dCLmcVrKYw1

IMAG4643

Next, I removed the fuselage halves and cockpit parts from the sprues:

y4mkuaVuF7dz6wVuK4yahO9At8wD5bUGZHbl4TZn

IMAG4644

The cockpit parts were glued together:

y4m_cW1G1eZt9yx67Zz6pYRwVOS1uFbb_0jSia7F

IMAG4645

y4mmss3ucfvF3j8TfQojboqI-ecQqdZmlvZo4qa0

IMAG4646

The fuselage and cockpit were dry fit and the fit of parts was good:

y4m4qVpKesl1sAbzvERjjJRd8rErsEyKRGoMhD2R

IMAG4647

Unfortunately, the cockpit base cannot be made to align with the access opening, so I'll have to glue the door in place:

y4mOLpIVF2Nev8mr2eWU0Cd8rW8jiD_XMAyUWZc-

IMAG4648

That's all for now. I've already painted the metallic parts but I'll post the work done till then later.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 4

Jaime! Welcome back and congratulations on passing the German certification - it must be a relief.

A great start on an interesting kit - I'll follow along if I may.

• Like 1

Hi Ced!

Thank you for your kind words and interest! You're very welcome on-board, as always!

Yes, passing the German exam was a great relief. In fact, one month before the exam I wasn't sure I could do it successfully, but fortunately I managed to get a good grade:D

Regarding this kit, it will be a strictly OOB build just to get my modelling motivation back. I'm not correcting anything or adding additional detail. Since the cockpit will be closed it would be a waste of time, anyway.

With some luck, I'll have this one finished in the time frame of the GB. I intend to start a Mirage 2000C and a Mig-29A in the respective GBs in the next few days.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Hi again,

Here's another post to bring this thread up to date with the work already done on this build.

Having checked the fit of the fuselage and cockpit parts and glued the later together, I started removing all other parts off the sprues and cleaning the moulding marks in order to get the parts ready for painting.

The exhausts are open. So, I decided to glue a piece of plasticard on the back of the part, so that the inside of the fuselage is not visible. Here we see the part and the sheet of 0.5 mm-thick plasticard:

y4mE5YY0tcmcKvCTWfXJ0O2k38RdaBTcp3Eq4pRY

IMAG4650

The plasticard was glued to the back of the exhaust part:

y4m9JIvQU0rQqxgm_5oYzkBEIvUBIdCUSs2BOL0W

IMAG4651

The excess plasticard was removed and this is the end result:

y4mkPK26m_JvR8UV6HM6nyuy0GISxQ7grEufrZOs

IMAG4655

Next, the instrument panel and what seems to be the oxygen mask were removed and cleaned:

y4mRCMFA1BtisE8K_2Euhwzc2uXVbCdIGYZ2Fq6h

IMAG4652

The mask was glued in place. I left a stub of sprue to make it easier to paint the assembly:

y4mjy9BxYUMdl5ZEs0dExQIJHnDzPvWdfOmCEgwr

IMAG4653

All other parts were removed from the sprues, cleaned and glued to toothpicks and are ready for painting.

Here are the landing gear legs, exhaust and pitot tubes:

y4m7vOhjk3EwmH2n6Qtkmvx6YAj8wNwawVntrO4T

IMAG4655

These are the cockpit parts, in front:

y4mnheKAWNE_Y-KrZZBWadslkJlYYktCsQL9aw8S

IMAG4656

and the wheel well doors and some landing gear parts that are not metallic:

y4mRayL_7yPa8j-coeNa9ecIuJCXkUFX8ffrhWEw

IMAG4658

Finally, these are the wheels:

y4meqLgc6ovGs3ugJOUxTvRFzW-H1laoTJ7rCJrL

IMAG4657

Inside the starboard part of the fuselage, near the hatch opening, there's an ejector mark that could be visible through the canopy:

y4m9wwsYjAWff6rlBBOyckwGoz8c93F2xFLmGziM

IMAG4659

I used Perfect Plastic Putty to fill it:

y4m1EFFQV5G-it74ZTr6hXgK2F-SI4ziG7Qxez5M

IMAG4660

After drying for one day, I sanded the excess with 500-grit wet and dry. The result looked good:

y4mP3_TkoJ_CF7kTjO1sDAencw2GpSJ0nIClefd-

IMAG4661

To finish with this part, I glued the hatch door in place:

y4mQ8CdGue7fG4ER_N3s8HPZa6udtwDUQ7wWKOjB

IMAG4662

y4mFOACnShQK1qTtjkQwJd6KnlFAhzTpBHge4U9k

IMAG4663

Yesterday, I started the painting of the interior and small parts. First I applied Alclad's White Primer & Microfiller. Since the aircraft is orange, I decided to use white primer in the exterior. To simplify the work I also decided to use it for the interior and small parts.

Here are the small parts primed:

y4mX63IuhD1cLo3X_ZBTPgRgKPIjjHieBuJYUAv1

IMAG4664

The inside of the fuselage primed. The ejector mark on the starboard side (top part in the picture) is still visible... :rant:

y4mCX4hm-HLT8tJPXkukEIba--BMOsPtkvBufZpu

IMAG4665

The wheel wells were also primed:

y4mIEHfInvR9IlPAVaEfwQ49WwznYyYcz1hfd2RW

IMAG4666

After letting the primer dry for a few hours, I painted the metallic parts. Here we see the landing gear parts painted Alclad White Aluminium, the exhaust painted Alclad Steel and the pitot tubes painted Alclad Aluminium:

y4mppNLNr2fP47tobc5NPCwvGS5Ejzj_sylgNvRh

IMAG4667

The wheel hubs were also painted Alclad White Aluminium:

y4m7-Y-ZgUHWdpeSq4b7o8T-oMtu2Dffl_Y5zDBE

IMAG4668

Now the thread is up to date with the work on the build.

Next I'll do some masking on the canopy and landing gear parts and will paint the interior colours.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 4

Hello Jaime,

Welcome to the Group Build :welcome: !

It's great to have you back here. Congratulations on passing your German exam :partytime:!

Superb progress on the X-1. I haven't seen the Hobbycraft kit built before. It looks very neat and has some nice detail :thumbsup2: 

I like the white aluminium. Like you, I have photo hosting problems; my own build is way ahead of the thread, but I have problems with getting Flickr to show my recent photos too :confused:

Well done on getting up to date. My model is in the Black primer stage; looking at your white aluminium I wish I had some, but not enough time.

Your canopy looks great; I must try the aqua gloss.

Looking forward to the rest of this Jaime!

Thanks for joining in and sharing :)

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 1

Great progress Jaime - looking good :) 

11 hours ago, jrlx said:

The ejector mark on the starboard side (top part in the picture) is still visible

Only just... I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it!

• Like 1

Hi Tony!

Thank you very much for the kind words and warm welcome in the GB :)

The PB problems are a real shame. I've just managed to re-link my RFI threads (only 8) and Yearbooks but will be slowly re-linking my WIP threads.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CedB said:

Great progress Jaime - looking good :) 

Only just... I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it!

Thanks Ced! I think the ejector mark will be barely visible under the canopy so I won't be bothered by it any more :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi Jaime. Hope you are well.

First - it's good to see you back again.

Second - congratulations on passing your exam.

Thirdly - nice idea for a build and great start! Looking forward to more. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Stix!

Thanks for the very kind words! It's great getting your comments, as always!

I hope to be able to progress a lot more this coming weekend, now that I'm not fully dedicated to my German learning :)

I chose this kit because it's really simple and should build relatively quickly. I hope I manage to finish it in a few more days, in order to start my Mig-29 and Mirage 2000C builds.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Looks good! Or should I say "sieht gut aus"? There's something about the words "Special Hobby" and "OOB" in the same sentence that looks wrong, somehow, but I your interpretation of OOB seems to be pretty liberal!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks good! Or should I say "sieht gut aus"? There's something about the words "Special Hobby" and "OOB" in the same sentence that looks wrong, somehow, but I your interpretation of OOB seems to be pretty liberal!

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian, 

Danke schön :)

In fact the kit is from Hobby Craft. It's the first one from this manufacturer that I've seen.

This time I promise it'll be strictly OOB. Not even tape seat belts. With some discipline, I think I can manage to do it like that  :D

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Hello Jaime,

Well done on getting the photographs linked.

I just thought I'd see if you had made any more progress. Just a few days left now so I'm just visiting everyone to give a bit of support and a friendly 'hello'.

Best regards :bye: 

TonyT

I'm watching this thread with interest as I am currently just starting the Tamiya 1/72 kit of this aircraft. I remember when the Hobbycraft kit was released and the reviews noted the poor fit of the cockpit even then. I think the fit can be improved by grinding away the underside of the floor to make it thinner. I don't recall if the Hobbycraft kit gives instructions on cockpit colours, but a google search on "Bell X-1 Cockpit" will provide a raft of photos that show the structure to be definitely green, though darker than the standard US interior green, with black panels. For some reason, the Tamiya kit's instructions are trying to convince me that the base colour should be grey. It most definitely is not:

X-1-cockpit-x800.jpg

X-1-cockpit-1-x800.jpg

Bell_X-1_-_Cockpit.jpg

Business end of the rocket motor

A19510007000_NASM2015-07303.jpg?itok=V1a

NASM-NASM-9A03059.jpg

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 2

On 19/07/2017 at 05:34, VMA131Marine said:

I'm watching this thread with interest as I am currently just starting the Tamiya 1/72 kit of this aircraft. I remember when the Hobbycraft kit was released and the reviews noted the poor fit of the cockpit even then. I think the fit can be improved by grinding away the underside of the floor to make it thinner. I don't recall if the Hobbycraft kit gives instructions on cockpit colours, but a google search on "Bell X-1 Cockpit" will provide a raft of photos that show the structure to be definitely green, though darker than the standard US interior green, with black panels. For some reason, the Tamiya kit's instructions are trying to convince me that the base colour should be grey. It most definitely is not:

Thank you for your interest and for the pictures. I had already seen these through the links in my initial post and I've been using them as references for my build. The interior green used in the X-1 is the so called "Bell Green", which was darker than the usual interior green of US aircraft. There's some information on US aircraft colours here (see sections on the P-39 and Medium Green). It can be approximated by FS 34092, which is Gunze H302. I painted the instrument panel matt black.

The fit of the cockpit parts could be better. The base doesn't align with the hatch and the instrument panel has no positive location pins on the fuselage sides. I managed to damage the painting of the parts due to this.

In the following post you'll be able to see how it turned out.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Hi again,

I've been working on the build since last saturday but have been very limited in time to post an update. So, here it is.

The next step was to paint the interior green areas. As discussed above, Bell used their own tinge of interior green, which is approximated by FS 34092. As I'm using Gunze acrylics, it's reference H302.

First I had to mask the oleos of the landing gear parts:

y4mcodEixFHAuKEbXcxDxdlTeXgufM--zKZy9pxe

IMAG4669

Next, I painted the inner walls of the cockpit:

y4m0Tf4C38_XyEef2LIE4L1jcofN-6XqrE_8dFkJ

IMAG4670

The main landing gear wells were also painted interior green after I masked around the edges:

y4mm89qzmGFKOWyiQNkTyNDPCQiefOpbqRTsdgaG

IMAG4671

The landing gear parts were painted:

y4mne13W6S7pfu0W6U8K5W1LnJrMTQ4GaU-3A1b8

IMAG4672

As well as the cockpit parts:

y4mbuqwABCIpRRtoSb-R-ChLql2OmBMFRXTGso-i
IMAG4673

These were left to dry for a few hours.

The following post will show more work done till now.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 2

Continuing with the work done since last Saturday, while the interior green paint dried, I masked the canopy.

Here it is, after the Aqua Gloss dried for several days. As can be seen, the transparency and brightness is much improved:

y4mcXyx0BsezsI28VBV-8dhaeA_d7dtNBX2NF0xa

IMAG4674

The first step of masking was applying masking tape to fully cover the part:

y4mXmxfw4CBYfzAww3W5xfyNHLbdYyawykFRMM49

IMAG4675

I used the tip of a toothpick to mark the frame edges:

y4mvOme6e4Jn4n7f2DiYJVaDVsVVAdSd4dQusC3x

IMAG4676

Then, I used a sharp nº 11 x-acto blade to cut along the edges and the excess tape was carefully removed:

y4msFK3oPiiQWNrm1byI-aTupol8ERQt8wa8f7pb

IMAG4677

According to the pictures of the real aircraft's cockpit, it seems that the inner colour of the canopy frames and the cockpit edges where the canopy settles was some kind of grey. So, I decided to use Gunze H317, which is a type of medium grey used in aircraft.

Before painting the cockpit edges, I also masked the inner walls:

y4mN1GQnaxniltfcIDDeoISqd1VPaOWwvm_kVRwV

IMAG4678

I closed the fuselage just to see the effect of the masking:

y4mjWyb81iMNaQjjGz15m1i-feTsQFop0eKcx2ci

IMAG4679

Now, I could paint the canopy and cockpit edges with this grey paint:

y4mAYJ1Lfy0riwyOIG5QgxQjlTdpqo8Hgrew5yf-

IMAG4680

y4mUuto48Iwab_xRRUYbL_h78uYZDZhhKcSDxG9r

IMAG4681

The grey paint was left to dry.

To be continued in the next post.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 2

Hi again,

While the grey paint dried, I painted a few details on the cockpit parts with matt white. This serves as a bright base for some lighter colours: sand yellow for the seat belts and brown for the wiring of the control column:

y4m_Y_0xja_Gz5plVZ7PVOr7n1ipoIQpkOOG0rgf

IMAG4682

A few hours later, I painted the matt black parts. Here's the instrument panel:

y4mgNBFktj2VXmWGd4siCOlgNWIzKY5BDdGktiSm

IMAG4683

The external colour of the canopy frames was also black:

y4mpvqJEBBTdD55HFD7enMZWUId3tNoKxr1LdC9s

IMAG4684

The black areas of these cockpit parts were brush painted black:

y4mR4lRjqLTZ-RXKGT_rgDKWtbYN-bpVTXUdJD__

IMAG4685

The tires were brush painted tire black (Gunze H77):

y4m4l1dyB4fo4UJDVJsHAsvEBx0M_m7dfU_jkwLT

IMAG4686

Next, I painted the seat belts: sand yellow for the belts and silver for the buckles:

y4mEeIpwMyE86r1XPfO2i-iCGv-hVMD7r2ssaGqj

IMAG4687

I also painted the brown wiring and the metal areas of the control column and dry brushed the orange dials of the instrument panel and side console:

y4m9gTKEye5bgMki2mE7OFSBPWd-LWyXS89mG0wH

IMAG4688

All cockpit parts were left to dry for a few hours and then flat coated with Alclad Flat Kote. The tires were also brush coated with Alclad Flat Kote.

To be continued.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CedB said:

Very precise work as always Jaime - the results speak for themselves. Great job :) 

Thank you, Ced :) You're very kind, as always!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Just to finish with the post updating, here's the work done already this week.

It seemed to me that the model would be a tail seater, so I decided to put some weight just behind the cockpit and in front of the main landing gear. For this I used small lead balls and milliput to fix them. I used milliput because I read posts about the long term problems created by the interaction between lead and super glue, which end up "melting" the plastic and damaging the kit several years after the build is finished.

Here is the lead being placed behind the cockpit:

y4musL4XR-8BlHcWZXudug_Jx1nbClrO-e3Ko0sK

IMAG4689

The milliput was folded over the lead to fully cover it:

y4mirJ3tLG2SaK2duK5zG-_IXFjJ5TdiK9mU2DY6

IMAG4690

The same was done on the starboard side of the fuselage:

y4m-URCY4FhPPX_RlVGUbQb_wNYHX--U502kxkjx

IMAG4691

The total weight inside the fuselage is at least 10g.

This is how things looked after glueing the cockpit base, side console, instrument panel and rudder pedals in place and just before closing the fuselage:

y4m9ZZVnR6lq9yacKn0hYj6Pwg3NS6XjopwsEiEK

IMAG4692

y4mZkDrVjtAy5UORSkrPVdmInX78zK9nkYvX8CLa

IMAG4693

It should be said that glueing in place the instrument panel with oxygen tubing attached is very tricky, because there's not enough space available to fit the parts. It becomes more difficult once we try to close the fuselage. Eventually I managed to get an acceptable fit with the fuselage closed but the paint finish got damaged in the process:

y4mVDVXI1kkkHLk38JJks8kJd3-hJzA1X3nATath

IMAG4694

y4mGY7SGGCiazsbxpnEZwS6wLtXPCxRfdjD9PfqG

IMAG4695

The fuselage halves were fully glued together and left to dry for a day, using clothes pegs to keep it together:

y4m2eWhqCdUmw71spZN2ZHLFkEuGEWhhYyQhZfQR

IMAG4696

The next step was to sand the excess plastic that oozed off the seams (this is done on purpose, to act as "natural" filler and avoid using putty as much as possible). This took quite a while.

Then, I glued the wings and horizontal stabilisers in place. According to pictures of the real thing, they had no dihedral at all. So, I tried to glue them perfectly horizontal and left the model in an upright position to avoid any gravity effects on the wings:

y4mAShtiWNPoaKmRZ_aGCqBsUSeZGuF8mJXneNIN

IMAG4697

Now the thread is up to date with the work done. With some luck I'll manage to apply white primer today and check for the invisibility of seams. I also have to repair the damages to the paint of the cockpit.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 2

Superb updates Jaime; really clear photographs and description, many thanks :).

This is really going to help anyone making this kit;  the superb fine detailing work will help anyone building any Bell X-1.

The cockpit looks great, I like your approach of putting white down first for the seat belts, then another shade on top.

I also really like the canopy masking technique! The next time I have a model with decent frames I will try that; what a time saver :thumbsup: .

Great stuff Jaime, it's looking really good.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Superb updates Jaime; really clear photographs and description, many thanks :).

This is really going to help anyone making this kit;  the superb fine detailing work will help anyone building any Bell X-1.

The cockpit looks great, I like your approach of putting white down first for the seat belts, then another shade on top.

I also really like the canopy masking technique! The next time I have a model with decent frames I will try that; what a time saver :thumbsup: .

Great stuff Jaime, it's looking really good.

Best regards

TonyT

14 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice Jaime, she's looking like a real world beater already :) 

Tony, Ced,

Thanks again for the kind words!

The idea of using white as a base for lighter shades and approach to masking canopies with well defined frames are not originally mine. I picked them up in books and here in BM. The provide good results. The masking of canopies in this way is much quicker than applying small pieces of masking tape around the edges but it takes time, nonetheless. And care must be taken in using a really sharp blade, otherwise things get messy.

Last night I repaired the damaged paint in the cockpit and applied perfect plastic putty along the seams of the fuselage. Hopefully, tonight I'll manage to sand off the excess putty, apply white primer to the aircraft and paint it orange.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Hi again,

An update of work done since two nights ago.

I repaired the damaged paint in the cockpit. This is how it turned out:

y4mGDtE7VL0SpXZz4Z9iBmPZVfYr8b1MDBFekO0O

IMAG4698

y4m_zpB0RzQxUUsZSUgUegm9BpZuRq06TYrcamia

IMAG4699

Next, I applied Perfect Plastic Putty along the fuselage seams, to make sure they won't be visible under the paint (wishful thinking, of course... it's always a never ending iterative process with no guarantee of success...):

y4mBa0Q2UhenlqeDD9-cPGPL2cJnpAtHZ3v1nkqT

IMAG4700

y4mxXGsRcpkBRk77vaLGtV80zsm2tSu5P35k-bTT

IMAG4701

After letting the putty dry for a day, the excess was removed with a mix of water and wet & dry 500-grit sanding paper:

y4mUa5GpJiDvXmbnSTycdXfN4qAY20J26ujQnbYK

IMAG4702

y4myPW-EjCLjrp11kxb5rE2XHRsNLc5YmuAPTZIu

IMAG4703

Next, I masked the cockpit opening to protect it from the painting stage. This was done using masking tape:

y4mOKd6eEponBRD5Ba3iXKAKQBC9FiSaagyO3w0-

IMAG4704

The wheel wells were also protected but using white Blu-Tac:

y4mgDDJtPyhSQ8kptQ_Al293Gecc7DkaJ1NjomHY

IMAG4705

Then, I applied Alclad's White Primer and Micro-filler:

y4mburSQ0CHo_HtBaaWijgaNAlYXETnidXxOXEQC

IMAG4706

y4mW38vBbcociAHgYYYvdElqrIojlWBQ_Tb-GSno

IMAG4707

The nose pitot tube was masked and the conical end was primed, as it was painted orange, like the rest of the aircraft:

y4mROf3UTItVpE3grkaANLPD9zKnrp9sDiS4tc9l

IMAG4708

While applying the primer, I used fine grit sanding sticks to make the seams disappear as much as possible. The seams on the wing roots also had to be taken care of using sanding paper. In the end I managed to make the top seam along the fuselage almost invisible and improved the bottom seam and the wing roots. I also scribed some of the panel lines that were almost invisible under the primer. The primer was left to dry for about 3 hours.

Next, I painted the exterior of the wheel well doors:

y4max4fwRxnoencPxV8ytrAi4xtsaAs3anyyn43G

IMAG4709

and the exterior of the aircraft:

y4m4oohD1w33d0STwWihowLglaO4PA3ZtlVC_CMb

IMAG4710

y4mxJs7cjTG0knf6X-_C9Z95bMXJVHMpXfDACiD6

IMAG4711

y4mJFFjtF17UZ4EilVOxEKVOyMR2j4oTxPnNMZS6

IMAG4712

y4mqwqE7n0tj-ZOPDpXTmVQjRlGfb1MK5JmUGJ_F

IMAG4713

The paint was left to dry overnight for 12 hours.

Today I've already applied a coat of Aqua Gloss to all orange painted surfaces, in preparation for the decaling. I hope the decals work without problems, as they are very old.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 2