Hehe. I think your mix is very good, and should be easy to tweak - add white for brighter highlights, maybe a bit of green or blue for shadows, red for thin or blood-saturated areas like ears & nose.

Pre-mixed skin tones are good if you're painting lots of figures and you need the consistency, but the really good display painters tend to make their own. Mind you, I use the pre-mixed ones all the time and I don't paint a lot of human-basic figures!

The Citadel or other Flesh Wash might be a useful addition, but it's going to give you deeper "mini painter" shadows rather than a really realistic "scale model" result. Useful for adding blush, defining fingers or muscles etc. though.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

Thanks Will all good info. Not much going on at the work bench at the moment having a bit a go slow. I did add a few small hook mounts? to the outer part and filled in the big gaps of the inside of the head with some plate.

Very small winch pionts

20170803_062349

And some more bits added.

20170803_062308

Need to sort out what the head will be sitting on now, i have had a few ideas but not really happy with any of them. I might get the wire's sorted and paint and paint the head, then come back to the rest of the display.

Edited by rockpopandchips
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking good, maybe the head needs a bit more support though? Given that it's armoured and armour is heavy, the bracket doesn't quite sell that weight especially from the front.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Will Vale said:

Looking good, maybe the head needs a bit more support though? Given that it's armoured and armour is heavy, the bracket doesn't quite sell that weight especially from the front.

Cheers,

Will

Cheers both, any suggestions for what i could do Will?

I was going to suggest something like the latter, but I'm not sure it's right now I see it. I wonder if two more copies of the post and bracket in the forward corners would do it? Or just bulk up the post a bit.

Or not worry about it :)

Is the bottom bit the neck of the Zaku, or is the head on a separate test stand?

Will

• Like 1

Looking good. I've got a couple myself.

Like @Will Vale I'm not sure I'm 100% sold on the support (for one thing it's so far out from the fixed end that the bending moment would be hellish considering its mass) regardless it's a cool idea, and better than any I've had.

Also, as pointed out aaaages ago they are 1/35 scale as they reuse parts of the mould from the Ramba Ral UCHG set which includes a 1/35 Zaku Head (with more detail internally but less panel lines). I've got two of these so I'm now sitting with 4 Zaku heads in 35th with no idea what to do with them.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Thud4444 said:

The scale looks weird to me. Every picture I find supports that you are correct or at least really close.  But it looks weird to me.

As far as sprucing up the stand, how hard would it be to add a scissor type lift? 

I think a lot of that comes down to which version (and by default which artist) is your definitive Zaku. For me it's the F2 from 0083 which has a comparative pin-head to the Zaku II from 0079.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Will Vale said:

I was going to suggest something like the latter, but I'm not sure it's right now I see it. I wonder if two more copies of the post and bracket in the forward corners would do it? Or just bulk up the post a bit.

Or not worry about it :)

Is the bottom bit the neck of the Zaku, or is the head on a separate test stand?

Will

Well im not going to rush into adding anymore just yet but once the head and annd the dangling cables are on it might look a bit busy and i m not sure what to add, i will put it to one side and add a bit of paint to the head i think.

2 hours ago, Blastvader said:

Looking good. I've got a couple myself.

Like @Will Vale I'm not sure I'm 100% sold on the support (for one thing it's so far out from the fixed end that the bending moment would be hellish considering its mass) regardless it's a cool idea, and better than any I've had.

Also, as pointed out aaaages ago they are 1/35 scale as they reuse parts of the mould from the Ramba Ral UCHG set which includes a 1/35 Zaku Head (with more detail internally but less panel lines). I've got two of these so I'm now sitting with 4 Zaku heads in 35th with no idea what to do with them.

For my next one i plann on a full Chars Zaku bust and the last one will be a tristar display with a 1/44 kit a bit like the one bandai sell. I can think of about 3 or 4 other dios i would like to do but i dont think i will live that long....

2 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

The scale looks weird to me. Every picture I find supports that you are correct or at least really close.  But it looks weird to me.

As far as sprucing up the stand, how hard would it be to add a scissor type lift? 

1 hour ago, Blastvader said:

I think a lot of that comes down to which version (and by default which artist) is your definitive Zaku. For me it's the F2 from 0083 which has a comparative pin-head to the Zaku II from 0079.

I know what you mean i have looked at quite a few zaku kits and art work to try and get the scale and im still not convicted with 1/35 scale. Scaling up from the head they could range from 1/32 to 1/40 ish but thats only if all the Zaku head are the same size for all the variations and like Blastvader said they are not. I would still like a few 1/42 scale figures to try out for size.

Thudd, i plan on adding some sort of platform with ladders or a lift of some sort.

Cheers all.

2 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

I know what you mean i have looked at quite a few zaku kits and art work to try and get the scale and im still not convicted with 1/35 scale. Scaling up from the head they could range from 1/32 to 1/40 ish but thats only if all the Zaku head are the same size for all the variations and like Blastvader said they are not. I would still like a few 1/42 scale figures to try out for size.

Thudd, i plan on adding some sort of platform with ladders or a lift of some sort.

Cheers all.

'Scale' is always a pretty hard thing to nail down when your subject matter doesn't exist. Just as an exercise though these heads work out at roughly 1/36 scale when compared to the HGUC Zaku II Production Type i.e. the prototypical Zaku II. So I'd say that's good enough. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blastvader said:

'Scale' is always a pretty hard thing to nail down when your subject matter doesn't exist. Just as an exercise though these heads work out at roughly 1/36 scale when compared to the HGUC Zaku II Production Type i.e. the prototypical Zaku II. So I'd say that's good enough. 

Its a shame i couldn't get any 1/38 crew i think the 2 or so mm difference in hight would make a big difference. I was looking at the MkII HG 1/144 kits and they have change quite a bit over the years, in size and shape, scale totally depends on your refurance.

Painted the inside of tge head, tamiya gun and a bit of gold. Going to have fun masking the inside the head next.

2017-08-11_06-45-59

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:16 PM, Blastvader said:

so I'm now sitting with 4 Zaku heads in 35th with no idea what to do with them.

Production line scene or two on a tractor trailer awaiting delivery.

As for the lift support system for this head...

A length of threaded rod either side with a small

forklift type support or attachment bracket on each.

This leaves the front view open for the wiring yet provides an industrial feel.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2017 at 7:14 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Production line scene or two on a tractor trailer awaiting delivery.

Those were two I considered, with the production line idea I wasn't sure as to whether to have the head mounted on an air-skid with two techs working on it, or a with a 'Rosie the Riveter' type character (which I'm sure there are models of but I've yet to find them) posed for a propaganda shot.

I considered the transport idea too, possibly with the GM Ground Type arm from the Federation Ant-MS set as well (though I also had an idea to use that in a 'Blitz' type scene with a family standing outside their house with it having been crushed by 10 tonnes of MS appendage. Likely lack the skill to do any of it though.

Sorry for the thread hijack @rockpopandchips

I like the Blitz idea.

There are ruined house kits available in 1/35th.

An old picture frame or a bit of MDF as a base.

Some soldiers standing around wondering how they're

possibly going to recover this head from the wreckage.

How hard could it be?

On 11/08/2017 at 7:14 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Production line scene or two on a tractor trailer awaiting delivery

I like that idea but instead of new, have the heads all busted up ready for the recycle plant. A great excuse to build a 1/32 tractor....

Always thought about putting s Zaku head on top of a light house, a bit odd but could be a fun one to do.

• Like 1