Hasegawa Spitfire IX 1/72

Newly finished Spitfire of 451 Sqn in Africa. Propellor and spinner from Quickboost, otherwise just what was in the box except markings which was cobbled together from various sources. Camera Nikon D750, lens 28-300mm.

1dddqk7z_o.jpg

dyUwvt8d_o.jpg

yg9QZNML_o.jpg

cOXYvCfG_o.jpg

UvLUyZ2G_o.jpg

inspiration came from this image:

zCp0Lk5Z_o.jpeg

• Like 49

Very nice model.

interesting to note, in the B&W photo you've posted, the Y on the first plane is in the same level as the BQ (like you have done).

However, if you look the airplane in the back ground, the F is in a higher position than the BQ.

Have you noted that?

Cheers

10 hours ago, ArmouredSprue said:

Very nice model.

interesting to note, in the B&W photo you've posted, the Y on the first plane is in the same level as the BQ (like you have done).

However, if you look the airplane in the back ground, the F is in a higher position than the BQ.

Have you noted that?

Cheers

Yes. What is perhaps more problematic is the camouflage scheme. I'm not sure whether the pattern I painted is reversed or not. 

Edited by FinnAndersen
misspelling

Very realistic - a super model. Congratulations.

I was especially interested to see the decals or 'transfers' as we originally used to call them - they look to be painted on - 'no silvering' or evidence of a backing film etc.

How did you do the decals? - there have been plenty previous posts on use of MicroSol/Microfix or coat of 'Future' polish to try to eliminate air under the decals but I have not mastered it yet.

Thanks.

Mike

On 2/8/2017 at 11:29 AM, Ventora3300 said:

Very realistic - a super model. Congratulations.

I was especially interested to see the decals or 'transfers' as we originally used to call them - they look to be painted on - 'no silvering' or evidence of a backing film etc.

How did you do the decals? - there have been plenty previous posts on use of MicroSol/Microfix or coat of 'Future' polish to try to eliminate air under the decals but I have not mastered it yet.

Thanks.

Mike

The roundels and fin flash is from the kit. The squadron codes are from a Japanese sheet and are individual letters without carrier film, VERY carefully applied. The model was painted in Xtra Color Enamels and given a semi matt clear coat after decaling and weathering and then I added flat black exhaust stain.

The panel lines are artists oil paint liberally applied with a fine brush, with the excess wiped clear across the line when dry.

I use Microsol to get the decals to conform to panel lines and such, helping it with a fine wooden toothpick to go all the way down.

HTH Finn  

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:22, FinnAndersen said:

The roundels and fin flash is from the kit. The squadron codes are from a Japanese sheet and are individual letters without carrier film, VERY carefully applied. The model was painted in Xtra Color Enamels and given a semi matt clear coat after decaling and weathering and then I added flat black exhaust stain.

The panel lines are artists oil paint liberally applied with a fine brush, with the excess wiped clear across the line when dry.

I use Microsol to get the decals to conform to panel lines and such, helping it with a fine wooden toothpick to go all the way down.

HTH Finn  

Thanks for the advice - I will be trying this out in the near future.

Mike