Kraljevo-Breguet 19.8, April '41 RYAF, scratch conv. Hit-kit

Hi,

I would like to present late variant of Breguet XIX - build in Kingdom of Yugoslavia by Kraljevo model 19.8 equipped with Wright Cyclone engine and used mainly as recce and light bomber plane. Some 50 of them were build and few survived April War in 1941 and later were used by Croatia.  Bregeut XIX was constructed in 1922 - this 19.8 in 1936. The power of engine rised from some 340 HP to almost 800 HP. This variant had also taller fin, rounded wingtips, reinforcement of upper wing-fuselage join (4 small struts and appropriate riging). 

This is a scratch conversion from 1/72 Hit-kit kit ( :) ). Actually I had the single kit of Breguet XIX and made some resin copies of u/c, tail, fuselage, wheels what together with completly scratch work on wings for 19.8 enabled me to to this models and version CASA Breguet XIX A2 in Spanish nationalist colours. The WIP, not very detailed is here:

But this the result:

breg 19 DSC06064

breg 19 DSC06065

breg 19 DSC06066breg 19 DSC06067breg 19 DSC06068

breg 19 DSC06070breg 19 DSC06071breg 19 DSC06072

breg 19 DSC06073

And a set of my RYAF army machines from April War with Germany in 1941:

yugo DSC06074

Breguet is made just now, Blenheim (Frog) more than 40 years ago (refreshed two years ago) IK-2 is 100% scratch work from about 1980 and IK-3  is vacu Formaplane, also from deep past (some 1977)

One more of this set (sorry for my enthusiasm):

yugo DSC06075

Here a bigger set with two seaplanes (Dornier Wal converted from Huma kit and Gypsy Moth converted from A-model - bofere float version was issued...)

yugo DSC06076

And finally family photo of Kraljevo Breguet 19.8 with CASA Bregeuet A-2

breg 19 DSC06077breg 19 DSC06078breg 19 DSC06079

On last photo wings of 19.8 looks shorter but this is only effect of short focus distance here.

If anybody wat to see more photos of Spanish one the CASA Breg A-2 RFI is here (also converted from ... bucket to Flickr already)

Comment welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
added name hit-kit
  • Like 20

Another escoteric aeroplane that I have never even heard of modelled so well and it joins a wonderful collection,.....please keep up the great work JW,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Most of us are so used to Vee- (or W-) engined Breguets and their triangular wingtips that looking at your 19.8 in 3-colour camo we cannot simply find a Breguet in your model :)

For me it looks like a 2-seater variant of Henschel 123 fitted with Curtiss F11C Goshawk engine - a rare bird indeed!

Cheers

Mike

• Like 2

Jerzy - Just absolutely wonderful modelling and what a superb collection of RYAF aircraft you have, I could only dream of being able to build models like this, thank you very much for posting and I am looking forward to your next builds with interest.  Just wondered where the RYAF Hawker Hurricane and Me 109's are ??  And hoping you will build and add these to your fine collection !!

Best regards Colin.

PS: I am struggling to get my photos on Flickr to here on BM any tips ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tonyot said:

Another escoteric aeroplane that I have never even heard of modelled so well and it joins a wonderful collection,.....please keep up the great work JW,

Many thanks Tony - I appreciate your comment very much since I am admiring always your constructions. I hope to keep posting :)

2 hours ago, KRK4m said:

ost of us are so used to Vee- (or W-) engined Breguets and their triangular wingtips that looking at your 19.8 in 3-colour camo we cannot simply find a Breguet in your model :)

For me it looks like a 2-seater variant of Henschel 123 fitted with Curtiss F11C Goshawk engine - a rare bird indeed!

Cheers

Mike

Mike, thank you. Indeed - just the side view is of the most Breguet- XIX look. .But if you think on this Bidon and Super Bidon mutations - they are even more odd compared to regular A2 with any engine. Regarding engines - I still would  like to do another one or two, for example Greek with Hispano-Suiza or Yugo partisan with Bristol Jupiter. But I will wait for any modern kit  by Fly-AZ-Azur-FRROM-Special Hobby-RS-IBG-Academy... or who ever will do it! I hope someone will do one day.

1 hour ago, Colin1967 said:

Jerzy - Just absolutely wonderful modelling and what a superb collection of RYAF aircraft you have, I could only dream of being able to build models like this, thank you very much for posting and I am looking forward to your next builds with interest.  Just wondered where the RYAF Hawker Hurricane and Me 109's are ??  And hoping you will build and add these to your fine collection !!

Best regards Colin.

PS: I am struggling to get my photos on Flickr to here on BM any tips ?

Colin - thank you. Of RYAF machines - I am considering Do 17 K by RS in RYAF but likely I will do her as ex-RYAF in Croatian colours. There are some very interesting and unique machines to model in RYAF colours (Some old Dorniers and Rogozarski, for examples)  but from my stash only this Do-17 left now. 

BTW I have now also Do-22 in RYAF colours but from excile in Egipt time, so not from April War - therefore it is not here (It was on RFI some year ago but now I have to convert it to Flickr).

Regarding Flickr - it is easy - you have to registser, than upload photos (first he is only showing tham and you need to confirm upload again - perhaps this is the problem you have with it) and then you can click on photo and copy adress of photo - this you paste in BM thread.

I hope it will work :)

1 hour ago, russ c said:

Great job on the conversion and your collection of unusual planes and schemes

Russ - thank you very much for you comment. 

• Like 2

Hi Jerzy, Thank you for your tip regarding Flickr, you may have seen that I was actually able to post my Norwegian Fokker cv.d from LF Models, after 3 attempts - But, I got there.

I would like to see the Do-22 built up very much, I too have one in my collection and am tempted to build it in Latvian colors and next up on the workbench is going to be my Airfix 1/72 and KORA Models Croatian Dornier Do-17Z, so, we have similar tastes.  Finally don't forget that the RYAF flew the French Potez 631 too.  Regards Colin.

• Like 1

Here is a page with RYAF aircrafts in April War.

http://www.niehorster.org/040_yugoslavia/_aircraft.htm

Some transport machines are quoted in related page:

http://www.niehorster.org/040_yugoslavia/41-04-06/airforce.html

Here this list is wider:

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/waf/yugo/jkrv/yugo-af1-home.htm

Cheers

J-W 

• Like 2

Very nice work on the Br.19, JW (and the other RYAF aircraft)! I too would love to see someone come out with a modern injection-moulded Br.19; perhaps IBG will do one? BTW, I have the Omega Bristol Jupiter Yugoslavian Partisan Br.19 with the Soviet red stars. It's definitely on my list of kits to build.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

A wonderful collection J-W :heart: 

The 19.8 looks very powerful and elegant. AVG have indicated that they wish to model 'golden age' aircraft. I think we should write to them about Breguet 19 and Potez 25.

I think with these aircraft it is a little like the Steve Jobs approach;  producing something that people (modellers) didn't realise they really need.

To me, these aircraft are as important as e.g. DH Gypsy Moth. 

I read some history on Breguet 19 against partisans; they were very useful for slow, low level, often mountain raids. Makes me think of a land version of the Swordfish; seemed  very out of date but was perfect in a niche, and very important, role.

I have some Do-17e Croatian decals I don't need; free to a favourite modeller :winkgrin:. I will PM.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Learstang said:

Very nice work on the Br.19, JW (and the other RYAF aircraft)! I too would love to see someone come out with a modern injection-moulded Br.19; perhaps IBG will do one? BTW, I have the Omega Bristol Jupiter Yugoslavian Partisan Br.19 with the Soviet red stars. It's definitely on my list of kits to build.

Many thanks, Jason. I am thinking that Azur-FRROM is the most probable company to issue injection Breg XIX after they annaunced Potez XXV.  ( http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235023797-172-potez-xxv-from-azur-frrom/ ).

I wish to see your Jupiter Breg on RFI one day soon! I have Lift here decals for this partisan Jupiter version. It is also on my future dreams... Regarding Omega resin kit - they do an imp

ressive series of Breguets XIX including the latest production variant - the 19.8. Analysing what you can find about this model in net (what was very helpfull to me constructing my Breg) I found two flows - I have not seen the the aileron mechanisms/detailing on the top, and the fin seem to be not taller (maybe I am wrong - if someone can check and correct me, ple do so...). 

7 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

A wonderful collection J-W :heart: 

The 19.8 looks very powerful and elegant. AVG have indicated that they wish to model 'golden age' aircraft. I think we should write to them about Breguet 19 and Potez 25.

I think with these aircraft it is a little like the Steve Jobs approach;  producing something that people (modellers) didn't realise they really need.

To me, these aircraft are as important as e.g. DH Gypsy Moth. 

I read some history on Breguet 19 against partisans; they were very useful for slow, low level, often mountain raids. Makes me think of a land version of the Swordfish; seemed  very out of date but was perfect in a niche, and very important, role.

Many thanks Tony! This 19.8 variant concept looked like a very conservative (but fast and effctive) way of air engineering: "take the old airframe and put the most powerful available engine inside - we can do this fast and fill the gap". It was constructed in year when from many other armies (even Polish army) Breguets were phasing out as obsolete machines.  At outbreak of WWII I think only Yugoslavia and Greece left with Breguet XIX in first line. A bit sad, that what was constructed as gap filler for RYAF  was few years later so effective to fight against partisant over Yugoslavia.

Thinking on AVG company profile it looks that if they will issue Breguet XIX I would expect Bidon or Super Bidon (or both) rather then regular A2 (and certainly not 19.8) variant. I completly agree with you that the importance of Breguet XIX for history of avaition, especially for long distance flights is really huge. And I am always surprissed that French "national" company like Heller (or Mach-2) never issued so important to history of aviation machine, the French one!

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tonyot said:

I'll second that.

Martin

• Like 2