Gloss or Matt for Modern Aircraft

Lish

Hi All,

I know these may sound like fairly stupid questions, as i mentioned in my previous posts, I am new to the modelling world. Messed up a few kits already but at the sametime invested in a number of kits as well. Mainly US Aircraft. I am busy working on the Eduard F-8 Crusader Limited Edition Kit and the colour scheme is all gloss finish.

In my opinion with Mr Hobby Aqueous seems way to glossy of my liking or maybe I just got used to doing the WW2 aircraft in matt.

I also read that these were painted in gloss for purposes of cleaning, so my question is, do you stick to the colour schemes as per the real thing or change it to your preference? What is your preferred way of handling these gloss finished aircraft?

Thanks

High gloss on models of moderns is far too garish. Unless its a special racing type.

Silk, aka semi-matt looks better.

There are various degrees of semi-matt, from nearly matt to nearly glossy

A nearly-matt semi-matt looks best on canouflaged, whilst a semi-matt towards the glossy end looks better on the like of US Navy Gull-grey & White types

US Navy aircrafts were for a time painted in gloss finishes, and it may be interesting from a modeller's point of view to make this noticeable. At the same time there are two things to consider:

1) the original finish may have been gloss but these aircrafts weathered quite a lot when at sea, with the original gloss finish becoming much less so.

2) most important, a really gloss finish on a model can look very unrealistic. Call it scale effect or whatever, but it's a fact that a Crusader painte in gloss paint ends up being a bit like a toy.

My personal choice is to tone down the effect using a semimatt coat that I generally prepare myself adding some drops of gloss to my usual vallejo satin varnish. By adding more or less drops of gloss I can achieve different finishes. When I want to have a matt finish I just spray the satin varnish from the bottle, as this is really more of a matt finish with a hint of sheen (IMHO more realistic than a dead matt finish) rather than a proper semimatt varnish

Thanks everyone. This is the finish I am getting with Mr Hobby Aqueous Gloss. Might have to hit it with Daler and Rowney Semi Matt finish.

20170712_190345.jpg

Edited by Lish