Poseidon to possibly replace Sentinel?

Slater

Has the aircraft withdrawn in April really been permanently taken out of service for cannibalisation or has it just been removed from 5 Sq's complement so that all the airframes can be rotated through storage to prolong life?  And what was the out-of-service date planned at the outset?

With the proposed retirement of ASTOR assets based on the Sentinel,  would two or three airframes be suitable for 32 (the royal ) squadron accepted that they would require extensive reworking?

2 hours ago, Britman said:

With the proposed retirement of ASTOR assets based on the Sentinel,  would two or three airframes be suitable for 32 (the royal ) squadron accepted that they would require extensive reworking?

I suspect the amount of work involved would make it cheaper to procure new or secondhand civil Global Express airframes.

It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that the 9-strong force might increase in number from the mid-2020s. There are a number of questions being asked as to whether going down the route of buying (say) six P-8s and a similar number of 737-based E-7 Wedgetails might not make more sense in the long run than upgrading the E-3Ds. Some ISR chaps of my acquaintance think this is a good idea, while others who believe that the Wedgetail is a deeply unattractive proposition.

So far, I predicted a P8 order in 2015 the day Nimrod was cancelled, and that P8 might replace Sentinel on the day P8 was ordered. Any other obvious things I can predict? 😀

The USN has been testing a ground surveillance capability on Poseidon, to replace the similar one currently used on Orions