AAC Toucan internal colours query

ajmm

Hi guys and gals,

Was hoping someone might be able to offer me a steer on what colour I should paint the interior of a French Indochina AAC Toucan (a postwar license built Junker Ju-52, except with C-47 wheels and a other few v minor differences). 

A restored example in Munich is a grey green colour - as far as anyone is aware is this right? I believe this is what the Germans were painting Ju-52 interiors during the war - i.e. RLM 02? I would imagine there was a load of old stock left over in the factory in 1945 so can imagine they just slapped that on the interior as they would have done to Luft Ju-52s. 

I ask as I am planning to have the hatches etc open and am adapting a civvie Ju-52 kit, so no painting guide. I've looked into this and my references make no mention and aside from the restored example, the only online photos are B&W. 

Niche ask but I find that this body of brains has a ceaseless capacity to surprise with even the most niche knowledge - thanks to anyone for any tips. 

Angus

Hello, Angus

Difficult to say. I have seen colour photos of parts of Ju 52 interior in both natural aluminum (more or less matt medium gray with slight silvery shine those days) and gray-green colour, resembling RLM 02 - and I am talking about WWII Luftwaffe aircraft. It is more or less the same situation with photos of post-war Toucans.

Photos on the following model building web page show Heller's Toucan kit interior, painted in somewhat dark green - could be RLM 02, but it does not look quite right to me:

http://pducos61.free.fr/Maquettes/f_historiques_montages_2/Toucan/Toucan.htm

Hopefully a link to this blog is more useful:

http://swag-trip-logs.blogspot.si/2012/02/portugal-museu-do-ar-alvercasintra.html

Scroll it down a little, and there are three colour photos of derelict Portugal air force Toucans. Not much of the interior could be seen, but parts visible are definitely in natural aluminum colour. I hope it helps. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

Hello, Martin

Yes, Toucan in front of museum on Surcin airport would be great source of information, as I believe she is still in her original scheme from 1965. Unfortunately, when I visited Belgrade museum decade ago I had been concentrating on other types and I only took three snapshot of Toucan upon leaving, none of which shows even the smallest part of her interior. I have been making plans to take a fortnight long vacation in Belgrade to study, examine and photograph all museum aircraft properly, but so far no joy, life keeps coming in a way. Right now I am some 600 km away, slightly too long a distance for casual afternoon walk :D. Cheers

Jure