RAF 100th

Paul J

Has anyone given any thought or suggested a GB for the RAF 100th Anniversary for 2018????? I haven't seen one > Could be run from April 1st to whenever...I would have thought it to be a quite significant event to warrant a GB.

• Like 2

Hello Paul

There have been at least two goes at this:

Started by @Dermo245, and

Started by myself.  My own suggestion petered out, probably because I didn't have a clear enough vision of what the GB should be about, and I allowed discussions to get out of hand.

If you or Dermot want to take this forward and take over hosting, I'd be very happy.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2017 at 10:04 PM, Paul J said:

Has anyone given any thought or suggested a GB for the RAF 100th Anniversary for 2018????? I haven't seen one > Could be run from April 1st to whenever...I would have thought it to be a quite significant event to warrant a GB.

Paul, I'd be happy to volunteer with you to give this a go if it becomes a runner.
I wasn't too successful the last time as a co-host on here  :mellow: but I think I've learned since then. Sure drop us a PM if you want!

Cheers,

Dermot

Hmm. I too am reluctant about hosting I did one once but ..... Am hoping someone will do it who has had better experience. Also, I noticed after my post that it had been suggested already . Strange there has been a strong lack of interest by the many members.

As for rules or whatever, normal GB rules would apply but as for subject matter I would have thought it be kept strictly to pure Royal Air Force RAuxAF ATC, WAAF WRAF any thing used operationally by the RAF be it aeroplanes boats vehicles missiles all from April 1st 1918 to present day. Exceptions being testing of foreign captured stuff not used regularly or whifs. I can't think of any other exclusions unless maybe someone bright out there can come up with something to avoid getting it out of hand.

PS Lots of RAF Anniversary special schemes would be plentiful....

• Like 3

How about:

Any aircraft, missile, marine vessel or vehicle that has been accepted into squadron/unit service by the Royal Air Force and its constituent organisations on or after 1 April 1918. This can include:

-Fleet Air Arm up until 24 May 1939;

-Army Air Corps up until 1 September 1957;

-impressed civilian aircraft (eg nearly everything on the UK civilian register in September 1939);

-equipment of other air forces taken over for regular squadron use (ex-Norwegian Northrop flying boats);

-aircraft operated for the Air Cadet Organisation;

-civilian registered or foreign-marked aircraft in regular service

-joint forces aircraft if operated under RAF identities*.

Not included:

-prototypes, experimental or captured aircraft operated by the RAE or manufacturers or on service trials or as unofficial squadron hacks;

-aircraft belonging to other Commonwealth Air Forces unless recognised as a Royal Air Force squadron or unit (eg No.401 (Canadian) Squadron);

-whifs.

* Bell Griffins of the Defence Helicopter Flying School would be eligible as they are operated under the banner of No.60(R) Squadron. Squirrel helicopters would be not as they are operated under AAC and FAA squadron identities.

Apologies if I'm stealing your thunder, Paul. Don't mean to, but hope this may be helpful.

Edited by T7 Models
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/07/2017 at 4:53 PM, Dermo245 said:

Paul, I'd be happy to volunteer with you to give this a go if it becomes a runner.
I wasn't too successful the last time as a co-host on here  :mellow: but I think I've learned since then. Sure drop us a PM if you want!

Cheers,

Dermot

Ah Dermot

This provides the ideal opportunity for you to loose your Vacform cherry :blush:  , no excuses now....

If you do accept the challenge  :evil_laugh:   I will build one as well, like a Hawker Henley trainer, do we have a deal :wicked:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 1

On 7/19/2017 at 2:40 PM, T7 Models said:

How about:

Any aircraft, missile, marine vessel or vehicle that has been accepted into squadron/unit service by the Royal Air Force and its constituent organisations on or after 1 April 1918. This can include:

-Fleet Air Arm up until 24 May 1939;

-Army Air Corps up until 1 September 1957;

-impressed civilian aircraft (eg nearly everything on the UK civilian register in September 1939);

-equipment of other air forces taken over for regular squadron use (ex-Norwegian Northrop flying boats);

-aircraft operated for the Air Cadet Organisation;

-civilian registered or foreign-marked aircraft in regular service

-joint forces aircraft if operated under RAF identities*.

Not included:

-prototypes, experimental or captured aircraft operated by the RAE or manufacturers or on service trials or as unofficial squadron hacks;

-aircraft belonging to other Commonwealth Air Forces unless recognised as a Royal Air Force squadron or unit (eg No.401 (Canadian) Squadron);

-whifs.

* Bell Griffins of the Defence Helicopter Flying School would be eligible as they are operated under the banner of No.60(R) Squadron. Squirrel helicopters would be not as they are operated under AAC and FAA squadron identities.

Apologies if I'm stealing your thunder, Paul. Don't mean to, but hope this may be helpful.

I think all of the above is entirely reasonable. 

What do you think Paul? I'm up for it if you are?! (and anyone else who wants to volunteer)

Cheers,
Dermot

• Like 1

• 3 months later...