Polish MiG-29 (Now finished)

Jabba

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:59 PM, DaveJL said:

The Quickboost example is very nice and fits well.

Ordered with a few other thing for this kit at the same time.

Thanks for your comment Rich, I think that I have now got it slightly tamed, but there do seem to other smaller things popping up now.

Thanks and paint is slowly being applied, but as I am using acrylic ones with a brush it takes several layers to get the correct colour density.

I have a question about underwing pylons. The kit that I am using gives you the "Alamo" and "Archer" missiles, but although I would like to use the "Archer" ones even as training weapons I would also like to fit "Aphid" missiles but these are not included with the kit although they are included in the early version of the aircraft. Does anyone know where I can get the correct underwing pylon for the "Aphid" missies so the I can make the underwing load of "Archer" x2 and "Aphid" x1 under each wing? Getting the missile is not a problem it is the actual pylon that I am at a loss with.

15 hours ago, Jabba said:

I would like to use the "Archer" ones even as training weapons I would also like to fit "Aphid" missiles

You could physically fit both R-60 and R-73 simultaneously on the real thing, but then you would not be able to fire them - the software can't cope with it. 

So, it would be a show load only. 

Nice work so far!

Cheers,

Andre 

Thanks for that I think that I may amend my plan for the missiles, I found pictures of these aircraft carrying "Archers" x4 on the inner wing pylons whilst on their Baltic Air Policing duties, but no "Aphids" at the same time. I think that I am trying not to use the pylons for the "Alamo" missile as I can not see any pictures in the books that I have of them being fitted to Polish aircraft. I did find a photo of a couple of aircraft carrying the load that I wanted to do, but as stated above this was at an air show, so not a realistic weapons load.

Thanks.

I now also have the darker upper grey painted. I still need to do a few touch ups on the underside around the nose plus paint the black anti glare shied, but I am almost ready to decal after applying a couple of coats of Klear. I also realised that I did need to do some modifications such as antenna mounts, so I bought the Attack Sqn update set which arrived in the post yesterday and is in the last photo.

resized_86ee8211-c13f-4b0e-8a90-d4d4d241

resized_edf714d4-7f0c-429b-b447-c95b77ba

resized_6f398e73-5739-406b-af1f-5b76f7b5

resized_3b3bdfa3-ddaf-4f2a-8317-5adce049

• Like 4

Looking good Jabba!

I'm glad that I read your comments on colours carefully as I'd missed that this aircraft had 3 shades of grey (memo to self: look at the decal sheet paint callout more carefully).  About three years ago I built the Eduard limited edition MiG-29 (1157) as Red 115 - the instructions called for the same grey underneath as the lighter tone on the upper surfaces, so had made the assumption that Red 56 was similar.  It's quite hard in some photos to see that there are three shades rather than two.

Thanks for your comments.

I know what you mean with the colour scheme, as it does not help that certain aircraft have gone through some modification and servicing and come out of that in a different colour scheme.

I have started to apply the decals to this and I will get some pictures done when I get the chance, rather busy at the moment.

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:42 PM, DaveJL said:

Might have a pair of pylons, one of my 'late' boxings came with a load of extra pylons. Will have a look and let you know.

Dave did you manage to find anything?

18 hours ago, exdraken said:

Looks good!

Decals look like a challenge to put on though!

They are actually not that bad if you follow the instructions given by Caracals instruction sheet, the main problem was getting the decals to move in the first place and lining them up.

Thanks Rich.

Unfortunately this will not be finished by the end of this GB, mainly due to myself being on holiday for the last week or so, meaning that no more than what you see above will be done. I do hope that all of the decals will be applied by the end line, but I am not going to rush the rest of the build. I will keep up this thread until I do finish, which hopefully will not  be that far away.

• Like 3

Now back from holiday I finally got all the decals on after a marathon stencil session last night. I have also added the newer IFF aerials from the update kit to the nose area and painted the anti glare panel. I have received from Dave JL a set of pylons for Aphid missiles and have been in the loft today to find the actual missiles from an Eduard MiG-21 kit, which will be made into dummy missiles. So it is onwards and upwards with the U/C and other parts to be added.

resized_d6db9b2f-7453-49db-9afa-36828160

resized_e6f9b549-7ba8-4348-8862-74db13b2

resized_8961ef98-3d16-4619-92bc-9b5be86e

• Like 4