Polish MiG-29 (Now finished)

Jabba

This will be my entry into this GB. As with a few others I have chosen to do one of the Polish AF aircraft that were painted up with the Heroes of Kosciuszko tail markings and badge on the upper fuselage. I will be making Red 56 from late 2012 which had the pictures of Marian Pisarek on the tails. For this build I will be using the 1/48th GWH kit with the Caracal decals. As I am doing this aircraft in late 2012 I will not have to change much of the kit as in aerials, but I will have to find an extra couple of Polish square national markings for the upper wings as these are not supplied in the Caracal set, as this aircraft up until Aug of that year only had national markings on the fuselage and lower wings.

The kit

resized_306ba320-48af-4ff4-9b2d-1fce42e2

resized_e5ea8428-2301-4696-87c2-88160eff

resized_fb9defd4-1cdf-408a-b0d9-8a0f6ed0

Kit instructions, PE and decal sheets.

resized_120127e1-e5f5-4b62-a293-6c353d60

Caracal decal sheet.

resized_a8beb673-6e99-46d4-bbcd-4210866e

Some vital reading material.

resized_6007046d-e87f-4c16-8c77-ec1f3dc9

I do have some other reference books somewhere, which I will find and post photos of later.

Edited by Jabba
Title
  • Like 6

Welcome aboard Jabba, the GWH model looks to be really popular for this GB, sort of now wished I was building one instead of the Academy one!

plus this seems to be a really popular scheme as well

Good luck with the build, I know you'll enjoy it, and look forward to seeing her in the galley.

23 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Hi Jabba,

Another great choice!

Having read your intro, I've realised that I need another two "Battenbergs" for the upper wings too.

Mike

I am looking at getting  a Modelmaker decal sheet for mine. It is the one that has this aircraft in the really later scheme when it had been repainted. Mind you it does seem a bit much just for 2 "Battenburgs" but needs are.

I took the lower fuselage part off the sprue last night only to find that one of the wings has warped a bit. Hopefully this will be cured when it is glued to the upper fuselage.

On 7/13/2017 at 2:49 PM, Jabba said:

I am looking at getting  a Modelmaker decal sheet for mine. It is the one that has this aircraft in the really later scheme when it had been repainted. Mind you it does seem a bit much just for 2 "Battenburgs" but needs are.

I took the lower fuselage part off the sprue last night only to find that one of the wings has warped a bit. Hopefully this will be cured when it is glued to the upper fuselage.

Note that another Caracal Models decal sheet (CD48104 - Mi-24 Hinds of NATO) has three of the Polish insignia, at the same standard size (50cm on the real aircraft) and printed using the same tone of red as used on the MiG-29 sheets. You can still use the rest of the sheet to build the colorful retro-RAF Mi-24 or something more exotic like the Bulgarian Hind : just a suggestion.

Also another note that the Caracal Polish MiG-29 sheets were complete and accurate at the time of their release - the insignia over the wings were a later addition.

Looking forward to seeing your builds!! 

13 hours ago, CaracalModels said:

Note that another Caracal Models decal sheet (CD48104 - Mi-24 Hinds of NATO) has three of the Polish insignia, at the same standard size (50cm on the real aircraft) and printed using the same tone of red as used on the MiG-29 sheets. You can still use the rest of the sheet to build the colorful retro-RAF Mi-24 or something more exotic like the Bulgarian Hind : just a suggestion.

Also another note that the Caracal Polish MiG-29 sheets were complete and accurate at the time of their release - the insignia over the wings were a later addition.

Looking forward to seeing your builds!! 

Thanks for your suggestion, but I don't often build in 1/48th and I have the MiL-24s covered in 1/72nd already. I never doubt the accuracy of your decal sheets as I have bought quite a few and will continue to do so, it is just that I would like to build an aircraft with 6 of the national markings in place.

3 hours ago, DaveJL said:

I'll check later and let you know.

If they are slightly smaller Dave don't worry as I could place them on the underwing positions where they will not be seen as much.

Jabba, I have the bigger insignia from a Mig-23 sheet if you want them? Just had this problem myself with my Fitter build, realised some were different sizes.

Muzz

21 hours ago, Muzz said:

Jabba, I have the bigger insignia from a Mig-23 sheet if you want them? Just had this problem myself with my Fitter build, realised some were different sizes.

Muzz

Thanks Muzz, Dave has sent me a message about his, but I will keep your offer in mind.

• Like 1

A small update on my progress. I have fitted the U/C bays, I did have a spot of bother fitting them but I found for the nose one it was better to fit the individual parts rather than building up the bay and then fitting it. I did try the latter before I went with the former. With the main bays I found that once I had got the front part in the rest almost fell into place although I did have to clamp the rear of each bay whilst the glue was drying. I have also painted and built up the cockpit (although the rudder pedals still require a spot of paint on the etch metal parts) and had a bit of fun trying to get these parts together squarely, but I got there in the end. I also did not like the way that the top of the control column was a separate part from the rest of the stick. I had trouble trying to fit the top as I could not find a positive location for this part, so what you see in the picture shown is how I think that it fits when compared to actual photos that I have. More progress hopefully in the coming week.

resized_e2c06de8-862a-4738-8e49-9726a308

resized_4ed5a649-12f5-4b2e-be36-c74b0b99

resized_36f80123-50b9-434a-b0db-c8f1a1b4

resized_3c394836-fe93-4516-9091-47ac15b7

resized_6dfaf3be-8688-4608-ab64-8df22f50

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:11 PM, trickyrich said:

Nice progress. 

The wheel well fit looks to be a bit of an issue with the GWH MiG-29's by the sounds of it. which is a bit of a surprise.

I think that there are several parts on this model that are surprising a few people with their fitment as they get on with their builds.

I have started gluing the fuselage halves together, starting with the front part to be followed by the rear. I am doing it this way due the warpage of the wings which I will be gluing yet again separately when I get around to these in a day or so. The latter two pictures show the amount of warpage on each side, with one being much more than the other.

resized_d313a779-3015-407a-b9d8-5d5bacdb

resized_92074004-557a-4f15-8db0-79df9cb8

resized_0851d0eb-7370-497e-9e61-4005f0ad

• Like 2

hmm  that's probably the main disadvantage of having the wings moulded with the fuselage. You have a large areas of thinish plastic which unless it's attached to a solid support structure will inevitably go out of shape! I don't think the hot water trick with resin will work here. 

Hopefully it won't cause too much grief to fix.

I got the wings together alright after a few days of gluing and clamping. Then it came to the parts that I was not looking forward to fitting after seeing most other modellers of this kit having a few problems with their fit, namely the intakes and the engine covers. I took these one part at a time starting with the intakes and then the covers. I took a bit of advice that Dave JL gave in the reference section, in that I removed many of the location pin which seemed to work quite well. I did have one slight issue with one side of the rear of the R/H intake in that when I came to fit the engine cover I found that it a bit under the cover. So I slide a knife along that joint and it seemed to spring into a better position which I then glued and the cover over the top. In the photos that I have provided I have taken a few closer ones of the joint between the intake and cover which I will fill in the next day or so, and then on with the rest of the build.

resized_baac8c60-e1d1-44dd-97ba-2949865c

resized_f8fb4337-96e4-4602-b6f5-87e027c9

resized_a58e90e2-aed4-4eff-8a8e-0a38bf54

resized_f39f9775-fca5-41db-8405-d0456a73

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind comment, and I do think that all us GWH builders are having difficulty in these areas with us all making the best of a bad job. 

On another matter I am looking to use an aftermarket ejection seat for this build, but there seem to be several available. So could anyone recommend which one is better for this kit as most seem to be meant for the academy kit.

1 minute ago, Jabba said:

Thanks for your kind comment, and I do think that all us GWH builders are having difficulty in these areas with us all making the best of a bad job. 

On another matter I am looking to use an aftermarket ejection seat for this build, but there seem to be several available. So could anyone recommend which one is better for this kit as most seem to be meant for the academy kit.

The Quickboost example is very nice and fits well.

ouch! those are not the best of joins, not what you'd expect to find on a modern kit today. Could any of these fit issues be cause by warpage, those big curved pieces can change shape when cooling if the sprue gates are not in the right place.

Though painful they shouldn't be that hard to sort out.

Looks like we still need to wait for a really good MiG-29 model.....Tamiya???