1991 jaguar xjr12 tamiya conversion

Evening chaps, as one of my current builds is coming to a close I though I'd try something that I have been planning for a while. 

I want to turn this

20170711_123603

Into this 

2017-07-11_07-22-18

With the help of these 

20170711_123546

The main issuse I will be facing is quite a lot of body work to modify from front to back, the wheels are bbs lm style and the rear wing need to be changed to a high down force style double element instead of the low single wing on the xjr9. 

Most of the modifications I will be making to this will be done with the help of a donor car. As you can see below they are quite similar so that should help. 

20170711_123522

I hear you say " why didn't he just use the hasegawa xjr9". Well Its because the scale sizes of a lot of the car and opening ect... are a lot closer on the tamiya car and from sizing up the decals they look a better fit on the tamiya car than the hasegawa. 

So after pondering how and what I need to cut I started with trying to get the taller front duct exit part off the hasegawa shell. This was done in quite a brutal fashion. If I didn't have access to a spare shell then I may have gone to the effort of making this bit myself but I'm quite glad I have this as the top edges have so quite complex curves that I don't think I could replicate myself.

20170711_170805

Then I marked up how much of the part was needed to be added to the tamiya car. As I said above this opening is wider on the hasegawa car so I will 've taking some material out of the centre so It fits in the gap tightly on the tamiya car. 

20170711_170823

That's about it so far but there will be more cutting soon 

Shaun 

• Like 2

Pretty obscure but John Nielsen's name is spelled, "Nielson". I doubt anyone but the most pedantic of pedants (me) would notice!

Also that 'Goodwood' XJR doesn't feature the radiator intake strakes that the XJR-12s raced with at LM in 1991. They didn't have them at scrutineering but did for practice and race. I have some photos but the weather that year wasn't great so neither are my photos. Can post if required.

• Like 1

I'll post these for info - hope they are of use (as I said, weather not great and my old Zenit SLR didn't do anything well unless it was sunny!):

First of all the cars at scrutineering.

No.33 Chassis J12-C-891 Derek Warwick/John Nielsen/Andy Wallace:

scrut 33 (1)

scrut 33 (2)

No.34 Chassis J12-C-991 (was chassis #386) Teo Fabi/Bob Wollek/Kenny Acheson:

scrut 34 (3)

scrut 34 (1)

scrut 34 (2)

No.35 Chassis J12-C-990 (was Chassis #588) Davy Jones/Raoul Boesel/Michel Ferte:

scrut 35 (4)

scrut 35 (1)

Note that the 'Goodwood' car (this actual chassis) has been restored with the driver names in the wrong order (see reflection in windscreen):

scrut 35 (2)

scrut 35 (3)

Note the different positions of a few decals, especially the electrical cut-off (lightning flash), fwd of the windscreen: on #34 it's pointing at the wrong bit!

No.36 ran in Suntec colours (an XJR-11 ran in the JSPC that year in similar sponsorship). It was Chassis J12-C-290 and driven by David Leslie/Mauro Martini/Jeff Krosnoff:

scrut 36 (3)

scrut 36 (2)

scrut 36 (1)

Edited by Sabrejet

Again apologies for the photos (some of my negatives really need restoring too). These are the four cars in practice, showing the radiator inlet strakes: they gave the '91 cars a very different look:

prac 33 (2)

prac 34 (3)

prac 35 (1)

prac 36 (3)

Don't be sorry sabrejet these pics help out a lot especially the ones with the front off as I was always curious as to where the naca ducts on the nose went so thank you. 

Shaun 

Edited by shood23
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mbdesignart said:

Excellent photos for you to add all the extra detail Shaun. At least you got the photos in good time, not as you're about to fit the bodywork after glossing over the decals.

Mark   

Yeah that is normally my luck when trying to find a specific type of picture lol 

Shaun 

A few more bits to this build have been done. 

The proper shape of the front naca ducts have been scribes on to the front section now and started to file them out. 

20170719_125540

The roof outlet and start of the engine inlet for the xjr9 is different on the xjr12 so I'm filling in the wrong bits with plastic strips. 

20170719_125534

The top of the engine cover needs filling also as it has no opening like the xjr9 so out come the plastic sheet and strips again. 

20170719_205447

The side wheel outlets need filling as well so I have used very thin plastic sheet as a backing so it doesn't foul the wheels and then built up in the hole with the same thin sheet. I used the thin sheet as I can cut it with scissors which is easier to get the shape right. 

20170719_205454

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Good work fella! I'm enjoying your conversion and it brings back memories of those wailing V12's too. :yes:

Thanks sabrejet. I have to admit the big old v12s in these are a lot better sounding than the twin turbo 6s of the old Porsches it beat just a shame it didn't have the same lm win rate of the 956s and 962s.

Shaun 

A few more bits done to this build today and a small casualty as you'll see down below. 

Right so I have been having a little trouble with th size and shape of the naca ducts on the sides of the body so I had a little brain wave and on to the net I went to find model factory hiros new bigger version of this and took an image that shows the side of the car and top. Then resized them to the scale I needed and printed them off. 

20170720_121826

Now as you can see it shows the position and size of the side ducts perfectly. So as you can see above I made some checks and wrote them down then used one of the many copies and cut out the duct parts and stuck them to the body with some white glue. After the glue had enough time to set up I quickly scribed around the cut outs and then pulled them off. 

20170720_121833

The same was done with the top view pictures so I could get the wheel vent the right place and size. 

20170720_122253

And then it was just a matter of cutting the plastic out ready for the vent slats. It was harder than it looked as I went the most dumb way of doing it first time but then changed way for the rest and it worked out better. I may have to add a small bit of material back in just to fix/sharpen up the lines but that won't be for a while yet. 

20170720_174539

On to the engine cover and the inlets just below the fuel filler hole have to be filled in so I used the same method as the big inlet hole on the top just so I could gradually fill them instead of one big lump. And the side ducts, which you can see in the second picture from the top, were scribed and cut out slowly with drills and a nice new sharp blade. 

20170720_180419

And then my pretty dumb move which caused a rather big and costly casualty. As I was changing the blade in my knife I for some reason though the window was open and went to throw my keys in the lounge for my other half to get her stuff out of the car. Well.......it wasn't open and now I have to pay for someone to fix one pane of glazing so hopefully that's not too expensive. Also my other half thought I was joking when I suggested fixing it with some superglue and alclad aqua gloss so tape was the only thing I was allowed to secure the broken glass with. 

2017-07-20_06-50-30

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 1

great subject to carry out the mods, it will be a great story to tell. i had the 1990 shell sorted and ruined it whilst painting, i may have to pick it up again this winter. those photos will really help.

I can tell you that at the time laughing wasn't the thing coming from my mouth but then again it was only a quick £100 fix so not too bad in the end. 

On to the car and not much has been done apart from filing back the excess plastic for the vents that were filled in and filling and sanding back the 4 smaller air holes on the top of the engine cover. The only real noticeable change right now is that I have put quite a lot of tamiya 2 part smooth putty over parts that will need to be shaped soon. 

20170727_184758

Kind of looks like I've just put a load of knock off blutack on there I know bit from previous builds I know this stuff will go rock solid in a day or 2. It's basically like filler on steroids. 

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

any more progress ?

something that i noticed on your work in progress photos with regard to the engine cover mods, are you doing the modified hump over the engine/gearbox in two stages ? its just that in the suntec photo above, you will see that the profile is different to the earlier xjr9, it does away with the existing airscoop/hump completely, and it uses a small hump to clear the filter assembly. also i seem to recall the tops of the rear wheel arches to be lower on the 12 than they are on the 9. i used the hasegawa IMSA car as my starting point as i thought it more alike the xjr12. i don't intend this to be a criticism of your work so far, i just adore the TWR jags. have you purchased a copy of the haynes manual ? it concentrates on the xjr9, but is packed with interesting stuff.

On 12/08/2017 at 0:16 PM, griffsrw said:

any more progress ?

something that i noticed on your work in progress photos with regard to the engine cover mods, are you doing the modified hump over the engine/gearbox in two stages ? its just that in the suntec photo above, you will see that the profile is different to the earlier xjr9, it does away with the existing airscoop/hump completely, and it uses a small hump to clear the filter assembly. also i seem to recall the tops of the rear wheel arches to be lower on the 12 than they are on the 9. i used the hasegawa IMSA car as my starting point as i thought it more alike the xjr12. i don't intend this to be a criticism of your work so far, i just adore the TWR jags. have you purchased a copy of the haynes manual ? it concentrates on the xjr9, but is packed with interesting stuff.

I don't ever take experience or advice for others as criticism griffsrw so don't worry about that. With regards to the engine cover bubble I'm not changing it too much from what it is now mainly for a structural and fitment reason, I will soften the edges on the upper section a little but other than that its almost as it will be. When it comes to the arches I'm not changing anything other than adding the vents to the front ones and chopping off a small area at the rear that shouldn't be there. As for progress there isn't much as Its the kids summer holidays and when I'm not working they take up an insane amount of time, literally I have maybe 30 minutes a day to myself for the next 3-4 weeks, but I will be pulling this back out soon to file down all that putty and get a better shape of where I'm at so as with many of my builds when I see this soon I will maybe change my plans again and add/take away other bits.

Shaun 

• 2 weeks later...

God it's been almost 3 weeks now since I last did anything to this. 

So in that time I have sanded back the filler on the roof to make the bubble a little more bubble shaped.

20170824_110813

A little more work is needed to get it looking better but I'm happy where it is. 

20170824_110807

More soon 

Shaun 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...