USMC C-130 down

bentwaters81tfw

So I believe - it can even be used in offensive roles with the correct munitions pack.  Quite the flexible aircraft.  Sad to lose so many souls tho :(

53 minutes ago, Mike said:

16 :S  How come there were so many people on board? :(

Might have had their version of our Movers ( freight handlers ) or UK MAMs (Mobile Air Movements) It was Dangerous Air Cargo (DAC) so extra precautions needed and probably armed guards.

Edited by bzn20

A bit OT.. Imagine a RAF VC10 full of Cluster Bombs going south in 82 with REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT flags on each bomb nose. Left Brize crash of Sparrows ,hours later over the Oggin. A Coffee Jockey hands the all RBF flags to the Load Master saying you forgot to remove them.................Now imagine the Load Master's face ! It happens.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

Not a nice way to go.  RIP to all aboard, and condolences to their families and loved ones.

Once again, unsurprisingly, the standard of reporting is somewhere below abysmal.  Let's hope it doesn't add to the distress of the bereaved.

5 hours ago, bzn20 said:

A bit OT.. Imagine a RAF VC10 full of Cluster Bombs going south in 82 with REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT flags on each bomb nose. Left Brize crash of Sparrows ,hours later over the Oggin. A Coffee Jockey hands the all RBF flags to the Load Master saying you forgot to remove them.................Now imagine the Load Master's face ! It happens.

Lmao ....not sure i quite believe it but then maybe I do.....of course that couldnt happen now :frantic:I hope the coffee was good....are coffee jockeys taken from the p**s pot juggling branch?

• Like 1

No offence to that branch....for they give our leaders hugs and tuck them in bed.....then get down the messdeck with as much free scoff as they can aqquire and we can eat.....but never never upset them coz they will neck a beer fridge when you are on watch as revenge.:rain:

3 hours ago, junglierating said:

not sure i quite believe it but then maybe I do

Its true alright.. The radio traffic back to ........ must have been long winded. Altitude restrictions ? Can we refit the flags ?

Edited by bzn20

12 hours ago, Aeronut said:

That's gone in in an inverted flat spin, nasty. RIP guys.

That's what the footage seems to indicate - upside down, no 'skid marks', all horizontal surfaces there. Can a pilot please explain how an aircraft such as this gets into an inverted flat spin?

I agree that the aircraft went in inverted with essentially zero forward speed, but there's no evidence of the wreckage being twisted up as it tends to do in a spin. 

It obviously makes no difference either way to the poor souls on board and this just highlights that military service is a dangerous business even outside of combat. My heart goes out to their families and friends. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

please explain how an aircraft such as this gets into an inverted flat spin?

Depends on what the reported structural failure was, if there was. Judging by the floor plan both wings were there. I think I can see a squashed fin. Runaway rudder?

How about a Load shift? Pilots would be trying to control a force which would be constantly moving. Remember that 747F in Afgan ? That almost went inverted

Edited by bzn20