Supermarine Spitfire F Mk.22 | Revell/Matchbox 1:32

Hi, All

In January 2017 I decided to restart old Revell's Spitfire Mk. 22/24 kit, which I started around a year earlier, but gave up temporarily due to its poor fit and lack of detail - and the most important, lack of idea, how to paint it.

This time however it was most of all to be an exercise in rescribing, scratch-building and riveting (using RB tool and must say it was fun) - did this all for the very first time in such a large scale, so didn't want to spoil any better or more expensive kit...

Therefore added here some more details: upgraded wheel wells and new landing gear covers, SAC gear legs, resin wheels, formation lights, Eduard's seat belts and dashboard, CMK's resin gunsight.

This is really a vintage kit and it shows. The workshop thread is here:

I was hoping to get a result, which would look nice in the second row on my shelf, in Southern Rhodesian markings.

Have I won? Well, she's not perfect, please judge yourself - I hope you like it :)

Best regards
Hubert

znU3fn.jpg

6kxxsT.jpg

AeHV9D.jpg

JLWABA.jpg

gYE5WZ.jpg

31S1Jt.jpg

QbZBXk.jpg

tQMPUW.jpg

j2bCPh.jpg

lcXSw4.jpg

VItX9W.jpg

aWYe3C.jpg

ugHvCE.jpg

3jQq7y.jpg

(The prop'n'spinner are "bluetacked" only and moved a bit during the photo session... sorry for that). 

• Like 43

Having built a few of these myself I can appreciate all of the added effort you have put into this,.....very well done indeed,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

The whole package - great model with all the bits n pieces and nice presentation / photography.

You can quite safely go for any better or more expensive kit... (but looking at this one, you would not even need that ;))

Cheers

b.

• Like 1

Many thanks for all so nice comments, very much appreciated :).

4 hours ago, StuCrew said:

How many gallons of filler did you go through?

Well, a few gallons probably and a lot of sanding. But... this is also where the fun is, isn't it?

Not an easy kit indeed, but worth effort, as this is the only game in town, especially for me - I just love the mighty look of these F. Mk. 21, 22, 24 and Griffion Seafires. 

Made few wrong steps in this build, so I'm thinking about buying another one and check if the lessons have been learned.

You can see more photos at my blog.

Best regards

Hubert

• Like 1

You've made a brilliant job of this venerable kit, many congratulations.. I visited the military museum at Gweru in Zimbabwe 4 years ago, ithe whole place is rather dilapidated but there's a Mk 22 which has been hand painted in the most garish colours using what can only have been  24 inch brush! Absolute sacrilege.....it was so bad that I didn't take any picures of it! 

Max 

• Like 1

I'm still bearing the scars from my attempt at this kit several years ago, but even if I didn't know what a dog it was to assemble, I'd look at this and say "brilliant", but the fact I know full well what an achievement it is to get it looking this good just makes it more amazing.  Even the landing gear looks right, which i.m.o was the weakest part of the kit next to the appalling wing fillet design and impossible to fit cowling covers.  Well done!

• Like 1

Thanks for all so nice comments, really glad that you like it :)

12 hours ago, Notty said:

I'm still bearing the scars from my attempt at this kit several years ago, but even if I didn't know what a dog it was to assemble, I'd look at this and say "brilliant", but the fact I know full well what an achievement it is to get it looking this good just makes it more amazing.  Even the landing gear looks right, which i.m.o was the weakest part of the kit next to the appalling wing fillet design and impossible to fit cowling covers.  Well done!

The landing gear made by Matchbox is just awful indeed. Too short, too wide, too thin legs... But to be honest, not much in this kit OOB is alright. For example, the fuselage is way too wide, so that no way to fit any decent vacformed canopy or use the Tamiya's one - therefore did my best to force the canopy from the box look acceptable, buy I'm not happy with this part. 

The cowling covers - just didn't insert the engine, filled and sanded them flush, then rescribed the panel lines. That was the only way IMO. There are resin replacements, but I decided not to replace  mistakes made by Matchbox to other mistakes ;).

12 hours ago, galgos said:

You've made a brilliant job of this venerable kit, many congratulations.. I visited the military museum at Gweru in Zimbabwe 4 years ago, ithe whole place is rather dilapidated but there's a Mk 22 which has been hand painted in the most garish colours using what can only have been  24 inch brush! Absolute sacrilege.....it was so bad that I didn't take any picures of it! 

Max 

My inspiration was a great story of Jack Malloch's Spitfire and Jack himself, described in a book about restoration of his plane.

Wonderful man, wonderful plane and so tragic end of a fantastic adventure... 

Best regards

Hubert