Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk.IX

Hot off the workbench, so hot it still needs a tweak or two here and there, it's the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk.IX (2008 tool) in Johnnie Johnson's markings. The white of the invasion stripes was sprayed on, then I drybrushed the black to try to make the stripes look hastily painted and somewhat worn:

35009741624_ff4eb4db09_z.jpgIMG_20170710_231328 by Russell Taylor, on Flickr

35040380603_b6f85fb0e1_z.jpgIMG_20170710_231315 by Russell Taylor, on Flickr

35680835632_da2f30c925_z.jpgIMG_20170710_231307 by Russell Taylor, on Flickr

35809366046_6bcba179dc_z.jpgIMG_20170710_231256 by Russell Taylor, on Flickr

35680835932_909da5309e_z.jpgIMG_20170710_231245 by Russell Taylor, on Flickr

35040381823_fbae1a0c22_z.jpgIMG_20170710_231235 by Russell Taylor, on Flickr

• Like 35

A great looking Spitfire.  Really like how you've weathered/toned down the invasion stripes.  This kit took some flack when it came out but I think it's pretty good.  It certainly catches the look of the MkIX.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

This kit took some flack when it came out but I think it's pretty good.  It certainly catches the look of the MkIX.

Well yes, in a way. But now that the Eduard Mk IX is available for not much more money it's spiraling irrevocably earthwards with a seized engine...

The same applies to the Bf 109G. Two essential aircraft which Airfix are presumably happy to now leave others to do properly. 

1 hour ago, IanC said:

Well yes, in a way. But now that the Eduard Mk IX is available for not much more money it's spiraling irrevocably earthwards with a seized engine...

The same applies to the Bf 109G. Two essential aircraft which Airfix are presumably happy to now leave others to do properly. 

The Weekend Edition or Overtrees versions of the Eduard 1/72 Mk.VIII/XI/XVI Spitfires are certainly far superior in detail to the Airfix kit and only slightly more expensive. On the other hand, they are probably not as available (certainly not to the Auntie Flo market) and, key point here, they don't make money for Airfix.

• Like 2

Very nicely done!

While the Eduard and AZ products give a more refined result, the Airfix IX still has a lot going for it: availability, affordability and ease of construction. It is also pretty much accurate and looks the part, as the above model demonstrates.

John.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IanC said:

If I remember rightly the Airfix BF109G has the bulges over the engine mounted gun breaches as one item rather than two separate entities.  I am hardly a Messerschmitt expert but even I saw that.  A very basic error.  I still think the Spit IX looks ok though and VMA's build shows what can be done with it.  Mind you I would very much like to get my hands on some of the Eduard kits.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, old thumper said:

It is very nice, I am never quite sure whether invasion stripes look best neatly or hastily done but yours look convincing on this Spitfire. 

Thanks! I was going for something like this:

stripes.jpg

but the reality is that if you ever painted the stripes so that they were authentic, I think anybody who looked at the model would think you just did a really bad job of painting them. Unfortunately, we've been conditioned by these warbirds painted with perfect, pristine black and white stripes, whereas the stripes were painted in washable paint and only intended to last for a few weeks at most.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

but the reality is that if you ever painted the stripes so that they were authentic, I think anybody who looked at the model would think you just did a really bad job of painting them.

That is pretty much the nature of the problem.

On 11/07/2017 at 18:22, IanC said:

I think the Spitfire is better than the Bf109G,  and it's lot simpler than the Eduard, which is essentially their 1/48th kit scaled down.

Given the complaints I've seen on here about over-engineered kits,  I think the Airfix has it's place.

I just got a weekend Eduard IX,  but I've not had chance to compare them side but side.

On 12/07/2017 at 16:03, VMA131Marine said:

Thanks! I was going for something like this:

stripes.jpg

but the reality is that if you ever painted the stripes so that they were authentic, I think anybody who looked at the model would think you just did a really bad job of painting them. Unfortunately, we've been conditioned by these warbirds painted with perfect, pristine black and white stripes, whereas the stripes were painted in washable paint and only intended to last for a few weeks at most.

the only point here is JE-J is the wing commmander's plane, and most likely would have pristine stripes...

The models come out really well, :goodjob:  good tip on the stripes.

My only 'complaint' is I hate the JE-J scheme....all those years it was the only blinkin' option in the  old tool Airfix IX ...

Now that is a poor kit. (and was always everywhere in my youth..)

cheers

T

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

I think the Spitfire is better than the Bf109G,  and it's lot simpler than the Eduard, which is essentially their 1/48th kit scaled down.

Given the complaints I've seen on here about over-engineered kits,  I think the Airfix has it's place.

I just got a weekend Eduard IX,  but I've not had chance to compare them side but side

T

I'd certainly agree with you there. And I think Airfix too are guilty of over-engineering on occasions.

It's just a shame their MkIX isn't as nice as the Tiffie, Hurri and Defiant.

Hopefully they'll treat us to a decent Mk Vb and VC soon.