three colour upper camo beaufighter

brewerjerry

Hi

Pretty sure it was discussed in a thread before, but i cant find it 

and i cant recall the eventual verdict of the colours used on this 404Sqn beau at davidstowe moor 

cheers

jerry

http://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/raf/beaufighter/bristol-beaufighter-tf-mk-x-lz295-2-z-of-no-404-squadron-rcaf-at-davidstow-moore/

Bristol_Beaufighter_TF_Mk_X_LZ295_2-Z_of

From the Aviaeolgy instructions for sheet 72002 featuring 404 Sqd aircraft with 2x codes (pre D-Day), the earlier TFX aircraft were finished in TSS which changed to Coastal Special Duties Scheme A with overall EDSG uppers. The photo may show one of those TSS finished aircraft that has been perhaps partially repainted in EDSG and also showing the faded earlier paint and patch-up painting.

note that other than the general scheme info from Aviaeology, the rest is pure conjecture on my part

• Like 1

To me it looks like an airframe that's been extensively touched up over time and in desperate need of an overall repaint.  The whole appearance, from the overpainted fuselage code to the general grubbiness and (probably) paint fading, is one of a very war-weary bird.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nick Millman said:

The paintwork appears heavily chalked and stained, whilst the '2' looks as though it has been painted on a rectangle of paint covering a previous letter or number. 

Nick

Coastal Command opted out of the normal squadron codes system (I can't remember exactly when) and replaced the two letter combinations with a single number for each unit on a particular station so over painting of the original codes would be quite common at one time.  Notice how little pre-and post-shading and panel line wash has been applied........

Hi All

Thanks for the comments, unfortunately the 404 Sqn website is no longer, so i cant find the other photos i think i recall seeing

and i wonder now if the dicussion thread i recall was on a different board ?

maybe someone in the future will do a decal sheet for this beau :) 

cheers

jerry

I'm not sure where I got this picture from, as I didn't record that info. If someone knows, please post it.

It looks to have been taken at the same time as the image posted by brewerjerry.

386855_e25680f84e0f603de5c87527e5b21716a

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

I'm not sure where I got this picture from, as I didn't record that info. If someone knows, please post it.

It looks to have been taken at the same time as the image posted by brewerjerry.

386855_e25680f84e0f603de5c87527e5b21716a

Chris

Hi Chris

Awesome, helps build the camo scheme up, I eventually want to do a model of it.

when i used to live in plymouth i visited the old airfield at davidstowe moor many times

cheers

jerry

I don't believe that is an actual colour photo of 2-Z LZ295 but rather a colourized one. In my opinion this is a "colour" version of the identical black and white one.

3 hours ago, TBC said:

I don't believe that is an actual colour photo of 2-Z LZ295 but rather a colourized one. In my opinion this is a "colour" version of the identical black and white one.

Agreed. I would definitely rate this one as colourized.

Chris