Spitfire PR Mk.IV Trop (BS491) questions

warhawk

Hello, I have been musing with starting a Mk.IV Spitfire, namely BS491 used by No. 542 Sqn RAF at Gibraltar in 1943.

I have some questions regarding this particular bird:

1. What would be different inside from standard Mk.I/Mk.V cockpit
  2. Wing reinforcement strips - use them or remove them from kit?
  3. Antennae wires - which ones to use, if any? The mast is clearly visible on photos
  4. Kit instructions suggest it was overall PRU blue, while "On Target Profile No.8 - Photo recce Spitfires" states it was an "Unidentified Dark blue, possibly Dark Mediterranean blue"?  

Please take a look at photos I have managed to find (below), and give me any opinion on these matters?

Mk_IV_BS491_01187.jpg Mk_IV_BS491.jpg

source: Site du 350ieme Squadron

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

But my opinion says PRU Blue. Looks to grey to be Dark Mediterranean blue and its to Dark to be Light Mediterranean Blue.

Thank You for Your opinion, Dennis.

My guess also leans towards PRU Blue, but I can see the logic in supposing a darker blue - the s/n is lighter than the background, which is unusual for PRU blue machines

(they usually had those in black).

Aleksandar

Serial numbers on most PR aircrafts were in Medium Sea Grey, so nothing strange if this looks lighter than the overall blue colour.

I would agree judging from the picture that this aircraft is in PRU Blue. It is true however that many PR Spitfires in the MTO were painted in a very dark blue. Of course interpreting colour pictures is always tricky and of course there's the possibility that the picture is colorised and not a true colour picture and so on...

Reinforcement strips: my eyes see something in those pictures that may be the reinforcement strips, mybe it's just a trick of the light and I'm seeing something else...

Aerials: by 1943 the VHF radio was well established, this used the mast as antenna, with no wire going to the tail so this is the setup I'd use on this model. The picture seems to confirm the use of the mast without wires

• Like 1

I should add that if The History is correct, this aircraft was delivered in October 1942, by then the overwing stiffeners were supposed to have been introduced on the production line (Mod.532, introduced on the production line in July 1942, thanks to the late Edgar Brooks who taught me more about Spitfires than most books ever did).

This too points to the presence of the strips on the wing

Adding to Giorgio's points:

Although Spitfire The History has this aircraft serving with 1 PRU and 542 Sq, the relevant Air Britain serial book has it serving with 1 PRU, 544 Sq and 541 Sq, with its fate "Dived into ground in bad weather returning from Gibraltar, Chelvey Farm, Backwell, Somerset."   Air Britain's Squadrons of the RAF and Commonwealth 1918-1988 says that B flight of the UK-based 544 Squadron was detached to Gibraltar around October 1942 and that in March 1943 it transferred to 541 Sq.  The photos may have been taken at Gibraltar (though the surroundings look a little lush and there is a conspicuous absence of large rocks) but I would have expected aircraft detached from a UK-based unit to be in standard European PRU camouflage and markings which, for once, is what they actually look like.  And IMHO 1943 is a little late for the more exotic dark blues applied to aircraft in the early days of Spitfire PR in the Med.  

• Like 1

Given the background, I'd say that the photos are likely to have been taken in the UK, possibly before the aircraft went to Gibraltar.

• Like 1

Hi, Warhawk,

That "unidentified Dark Blue", could have been the so-called in some sources "Royal Blue". However, it would be about the shade of the fuselage roundel, to the point of making it virtually invisible. In the Ventura book there is a picture of BR146 in such a colour, and they have painted the roundels a ligher blue for contrast.

Fernando

Edited by Fernando

On 7/10/2017 at 4:22 PM, warhawk said:

Hello, I have been musing with starting a Mk.IV Spitfire, namely BS491 used by No. 542 Sqn RAF at Gibraltar in 1943.

I have some questions regarding this particular bird:

1. What would be different inside from standard Mk.I/Mk.V cockpit
  2. Wing reinforcement strips - use them or remove them from kit?
  3. Antennae wires - which ones to use, if any? The mast is clearly visible on photos
  4. Kit instructions suggest it was overall PRU blue, while "On Target Profile No.8 - Photo recce Spitfires" states it was an "Unidentified Dark blue, possibly Dark Mediterranean blue"?  

My two cents (mostly opinion rather than conviction):

1) Oops, I'll get back to you on that.

2) I do believe I can see them, looking at the big version of your second image.

3) The comm radio antenna is buried in the mast (no wire to tail).  There may be an IFF rod under the starboard wing, but I don't know for certain.

4) It seems like PRU Blue to me.

bob

4 hours ago, gingerbob said:

There may be an IFF rod under the starboard wing, but I don't know for certain.

Thanks, Bob.

Does this mean no IFF wires leading to horizontal stabilizer?

30a5fsp.jpg

Right, it would be either/or- or possibly neither!  Just had a look at my "PR.IV" manual, but the cockpit shots actually are for the XI (it is an inclusive PR manual).  Probably similar, though.

bob

• Like 1

Most likely no IFF wires by 1943

The cockpit should have differed with no gunsight and the presence of the camera control box. I'll see if I can find any picture of the PR.IV arrangement, I wouldn't be surprised to find it's the same as later marks though

• Like 2

Hello Warhawk!

I don't know if this is useful for you ... but I remembered, I had seen a PR.Mk.IV built at the ModelBrno show in June.

Here's the photograph. I think it was a scratch-conversion based on the Tamiya kit:

698a01dd-1a53-45f5-b608-4cc693e28f52.JPG

With kiind regards from Vienna.

Roman

• Like 1

Hi, Roman,

I have built exactly the same model, from a SH in 1/48 kit.

There is a missing bulge on the top of the nearest wing, close to the circular hatch you can see. I would bet the one in the undersurface is missing too. There were fuel vent valves on the wing tips. There are a couple of old Airwaves conversions whose instructions give you exact clue about those; at the same time, the oft derided SAMI book is spot on on them. The windscreen IMHO is a bit upright. 

Regards,

Fernando

• 7 months later...

Sorry to raise an old topic, but the question is related:

Should this photo-recce Mk.IV aircraft be equipped with this armor plate behind the seat?

I know they were fine-tuned for speed, but then again, if a 109 jumps you, you have no armament to defend yourself...

seat.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:47 AM, Fernando said:

Hi, Roman,

I have built exactly the same model, from a SH in 1/48 kit.

There is a missing bulge on the top of the nearest wing, close to the circular hatch you can see. I would bet the one in the undersurface is missing too. There were fuel vent valves on the wing tips. There are a couple of old Airwaves conversions whose instructions give you exact clue about those; at the same time, the oft derided SAMI book is spot on on them. The windscreen IMHO is a bit upright. 

Regards,

Fernando

Good eye, Fernando! IIRC that blister and another in the same location under the wing is associated with the extra oil tank that was fitted in one of  the LH gun bays. I'm away from my references right now, but I will check and confirm. If you have the Model Alliance On Target monograph on PR Spitfires, it is shown in the 3-view color drawings.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling

Hi Warhawk,

Regarding your first question,  much of the cockpit would remain the same.  Exceptions include a small panel on each side of the cockpit with two instruments; these are a fuel gauge and tank pressure, I believe, for the wing tanks that take up the leading edge of the wings back to the main spar.  This is often referred to as the Bowser wing.  As I am sure you know, there is no gun sight but it is replaced by the main camera control panel.  Armor plate behind the seat and that upper piece behind the pilot's head and shoulders is problematic; some recce Spits retained that armor and some did not.  Absent a picture of the cockpit of the specific aircraft you are doing, I would leave both in place.

HTH, Jim

Edited by Jim Kiker
  • Like 1

I'm not sure why the strengthening pieces would be required on the PR variants, given the different flight regime of these variants.  However, STH does mention a small number of the early Mk.I conversions suffering from skin wrinkling, so perhaps these were the low-flyers?    I recall that Edgar did mention a number of mods linked to the wing root strength, with the strakes being perhaps the last on the early wing.  The D wings were built on a separate line, so linking the introduction of the mod to the serial/build date may be unwise.

Do other enthusiasts know of photos of these variants that clearly show the fitting of the strakes?

Edited by Graham Boak
Expansion of discussion
  • Like 1

Hello all,

there are several photos of Spit PR IV with the strakes in the BR series. BR119 is one of these, if I remember correctly. I’m not near my references at the moment.

TW

Edited by Tony Whittingham
Spelling
  • Like 2