Airfix P-51 Mustang IV - 1/72

This is my build of the new Airfix P-51D kit, this time as an RAF Mustang IV KH655 QV-P with 19 Squadron.

35781236716_f006b753b0_b.jpgmust5 by pat cauthery, on Flickr

There is a fairly well known air-to-air shot of this aircraft ( see https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/blog/dooleybird-mustang-pilots-logbook-donation/) which was where I based my inspiration from. The Airfix kit is nicely detailed and went together well although removing the seam around the tiny gun barrels was very fiddly. I also was not happy with the fit of the canopy frame in the closed position and ended up filling the join with Milliput and then scribing back in the line for the sliding part of the frame.

35433101640_c0316273d8_b.jpgmust2 by pat cauthery, on Flickr

From the picture of the real aircraft you can make out that it has the louvre doors on the nose which were reproduced with a few strips of plastic sanded to shape. i also added the seams on the drop tanks with thin plastic strip which are fairly prominent and missing from the Airfix kit tanks.

35781236506_b25c4e7c21_b.jpgmust3 by pat cauthery, on Flickr

Paint was Xtracrylix RAF DG/ OG/ MSG with Sky band being Tamiya. The aircraft appears to be in the "loop" scheme (see here https://www.3squadron.org.au/subpages/Mustangs/3 Sqn P-51K P6.htm) and the suggestion is that this was a UK repaint and thus standard RAF colours are appropriate rather than US equivalents. Decals were from the spares box.

34981407384_6c80065a0b_b.jpgmust6 by pat cauthery, on Flickr

35433101640_c0316273d8_b.jpgmust2 by pat cauthery, on Flickr

35011718223_5746af4154_b.jpgmust8 by pat cauthery, on Flickr

Hope you like!!

Pat

• Like 32

That's a really good looking P-51 and I had never seen this scheme before.

Beautiful modeling!

JR

That is a thing of art,......what a beautiful Mustang and I love the 19 Sqn nose colours,.......wonderful,.... and I love how you`ve reproduced the nose louvres too!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Pat,

Another awesome job, sir! My very favorite RAF Mustang scheme, too! Nice job on the louvers, too, as well as the seams on the 75gallon tanks. I am impressed! BTW, did late model Mustangs have the Q seat harness?

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IanC said:

Absolutely fabulous.

And I'm assuming you had to scratch a new aerial after breaking the one Airfix supplied? ^_^ 

Why yes, now you mention it I did have to :D

• Like 1