This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Spookytooth

Don`t talk to me about life, again.Date with Destiny? 13/9/17

Spookytooth    5,039

OK folks, as you can see I have been given a date for surgery.

27/9/17 at 7.00 am. 

It`s possible that I will be in hospital for 3 days +. depending on how things go.

Light duties for a fortnight (No "Fun" with the Mrs etc)

Then I should be OK, I think.

Once again, thank you for all the comments of support, it helps a hell of a lot.

Simon (Still time to do more of the builds)

giemme    7,519
3 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Still time to do more of the builds

Absolutely - right way to chill out and keep your mind busy with positive thougths (if you don't have to fight the carpet monster, that is :wink: )

Keep it up you both, guys.

Ciao

bentwaters81tfw    6,527

Are you going to put up a WIP? Better take a few extra No 11 blades for the surgeon as well, you don't want him using a blunt blade! :waiting::fingerscrossed:

Beardie    4,704

All the best for the surgery Simon. You could always ask the surgeon for the tools when he is finished with them as they might well come in handy for modelling. :drunk:

CedB    27,777

I'm sure you're in good hands Simon. Here's to a quick recovery :)

TonyTiger66    5,626

It's good to hear that you've got a date nice and soon Simon :thumbsup2: .

If you have a smartphone or iPod type thingy; they're great for hospital stays. Even a portable DVD player.

I'm fairly often in hospital, so always make sure to have a good selection of music, maybe a couple of films or comedy shows, actually stored on something, rather than in a cloud I maybe can't access.

Hospitals often have 'no signal' areas, so I learned this the hard way; I make sure I have stuff on the device now. Some hospitals here charge a daily rate just to listen to their radio, let alone TV and it can add up.

With your favourite music and something nice to watch, it becomes relaxing and the hospital stay passes quickly. No matter what people say; the NHS is amazing and they'll really look after you. 

As others have said, model Making is a really good way to relax in the days before, and after, the op

Best wishes to you both :)

TonyT

beefy66    2,800

Hope all goes well for you Simon and a quick recovery 

Best wishes Keith 

DMC    555

Following along on Tony's suggestion, and based on my recent stay, you might want to consider the following:

a sleep mask mask of some sort as they don't switch all the lights off at night,  Also, you'll most likely be woken up every couple of hours to have your bp taken.

ear plugs as the wards can be quite noisy at night.  Think some poor fellow trying to pass a kidney stone.

bed socks: they keep the wards cool for obvious reasons.  

a book.

something for the nurses when you leave.  They work very hard and appreciate an appreciative gesture. 

Best whishes,

Dennis

Biggles87    3,135

All the best for  the 27th. I hope that SWMBO has allowed you to increase your stash for the " light duties " recovery period.

Cheers

John

Fastcat    171

All the best for your op. I had surgery for prostate cancer a couple of years back and I'm still walking.

Can only agree with DMC. Let the nurses know they're valued, tell them.

Dave

Darby    5,110

Best of luck with the op. Don't forget as others have mentioned, the scrounging list from the scablifters; blades, sample pots (unused for storing bits/mixing paints) and syringe bodies for sucking up thinners to drip into paints for mixing.

Terrain Safe    175

I have read this thread with interest. I am off to hospital tomorrow morning for an angiogram. I've had an MRI and it turns out that I have a dilated Aortic root. No me neither. But it is quite serious and explains why I get winded if I do too much. I thought it was old age but it's not just that. So after that, I go into hospital soon for a big operation on my heart. 7-10 days in the hospital, can't drive for at least 6 weeks and probably about 3 months off work. Mrs. Safe has been cleaning everything lots to try and forget what's happening. Had a long list of jobs to do. Done most of them. Still, I'm 50 at the end of the month and it's our 30th wedding anniversary at the end of the year. All celebrations on hold until next year. Having read this thread, and my own experiences over the last month, all tell me that I'm lucky in many ways. Good luck Simon/Spookytooth.

dieselweasel    91

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Simon and you as well Terrain Safe, everyone on the forum will be routing for you.

ATB

Jim

sinnerboy    2,004

Simon, I've only just seen your update from the 1st of Sep, apologies buddy.

All the best for the 27th mate, all will be fine.

same for you Mr Safe

just think of all that lovely modelling when you are recuperating!!!

Spookytooth    5,039
41 minutes ago, Terrain Safe said:

I have read this thread with interest. I am off to hospital tomorrow morning for an angiogram. I've had an MRI and it turns out that I have a dilated Aortic root. No me neither. But it is quite serious and explains why I get winded if I do too much. I thought it was old age but it's not just that. So after that, I go into hospital soon for a big operation on my heart. 7-10 days in the hospital, can't drive for at least 6 weeks and probably about 3 months off work. Mrs. Safe has been cleaning everything lots to try and forget what's happening. Had a long list of jobs to do. Done most of them. Still, I'm 50 at the end of the month and it's our 30th wedding anniversary at the end of the year. All celebrations on hold until next year. Having read this thread, and my own experiences over the last month, all tell me that I'm lucky in many ways. Good luck Simon/Spookytooth.

Terrain Safe, I /we wish you all the very best for the OP mate, it`s scary I know, I have had 2 ICD`s fitted.

I have been on the wards,, and the humour there is great, everybody in the same boat.

When you get out, do what the Docs tell you, do anything else and don`t tell them LOL.

Be sure to rest up mate.

All the best Simon.

sinnerboy    2,004
18 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

I have had 2 ICD`s fitted.

Sssshhhh Simon, you'll have the bomb disposal guys knocking on your door if they hear you.

oh have I got that right? :hmmm:

Spookytooth    5,039
4 minutes ago, sinnerboy said:

Sssshhhh Simon, you'll have the bomb disposal guys knocking on your door if they hear you.

oh have I got that right? :hmmm:

I think it`s IED Rick .LOL

ICD stands for Internal Cardio-inverter Device, basically a cruise control for the old ticker, if it went over a certain heart beat rate it would administer a series of shocks to calm it, or a big one to stop the attack.

I suffer with Tachycardia Arrhythmia.

I hope that clears that up LOL.

Simon. 

bentwaters81tfw    6,527
2 hours ago, Terrain Safe said:

I have read this thread with interest. I am off to hospital tomorrow morning for an angiogram. I've had an MRI and it turns out that I have a dilated Aortic root.

My ex brother in law used to perform this type of surgery. It is absolutely routine. They fit a liner, and jobs a good'un. Best of luck with it.

glatisant    182

Cheer up my friend.Things are never as bad as they might seem.I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis 14 years ago.A slow moving killer if there ever was one. Spent most of this Summer in hospital.The gradual loss of dexterity and strength in my arms and hands has virtually wiped out my ability to make kits,which should be the least of my worries,but actually really annoys me more than being Wheelchair bound,having to take medications and numerous other irritants.Keep the chin up,remain positive and things are a whole lot easier to deal with. Best wishes Alan

Bullbasket    1,941
16 hours ago, glatisant said:

Cheer up my friend.Things are never as bad as they might seem.I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis 14 years ago.A slow moving killer if there ever was one. Spent most of this Summer in hospital.The gradual loss of dexterity and strength in my arms and hands has virtually wiped out my ability to make kits,which should be the least of my worries,but actually really annoys me more than being Wheelchair bound,having to take medications and numerous other irritants.Keep the chin up,remain positive and things are a whole lot easier to deal with. Best wishes Alan

I know what you mean with regards to loosing the ability to make kits. My wife has told me that if my arthritis ever progresses to the stage where I can no longer build models, she says she is going to have me put down as I would become unbearable, to which I replied, "I thought that I already was".

All the best Alan.

John.