ESCI decals

Lowbrow

Specifically the aftermarket sheets ESCI used to produce in the 70s. 1/72 & 1/48 sheets for various aircraft. I've never been able to get these to work well...particularl. They REALLY seem to hate solvents or setting solutions if any kind. Which they really kind of need because they're so thick and inflexible.

Has anyone ever found workable solutions for these decals? I'm wondering if heat is the only thing that would kind of make them conform...

From my memory they were of similar "quality" as the old Italeri decals which created a sprakling silver finish on the corrugated surface of the JU 52 I build decades ago that I could have displayed it in a Swarovski store. Later I found that persistant use of Mr Mark Softener worked quite good on the SR-71 decals of Italeri. Ever since this was the brand I used for stuborn decals - that was until Mr Mark met his master in the Roden decals for a Junkers D I... Anything I tried on these were of little effect: Vinigar in the water bath, freekingly hot water (I wore rubber gloves!!!), and some other Voodoo stuff I do not remember or talk about.

I heared that the solution from Daco should be quite strong as well. But never tried it.

• Like 1