Lightning F6 (classing this one as finished for now)

bobsyouruncle

Hi Gents,

This is a WIP that I'm currently working on. I was enjoying getting stuck into the model again but this takes priority so the model will have to wait a little again (see model link here):-

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234988708-airfix-48th-lightning-f6/#comment-2104352

This one's in Oils and on a 36" x 24" canvas. It aims to show Lightning F6 XS922 'AF' of 5 Sqn, taking off on a live armed Firestreak missile firing sortie whilst on MPC (Missile Practice Camp) at RAF Valley, Anglesey, North Wales, in the 1980s.

Here is the concept sketch:-

a1VO7M.jpg

This canvas started with blocking in the far background and nose of the aircraft..

m3L6qJ.jpg

..followed by a little more of the aircraft..

m6kmHl.jpg

..and this is where we are at the moment. Obviously a long way still to go yet with layers of detail to be added each time.

FRVVrn.jpg

Cheers Bob.

I've tried to add direct image links but that facility doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

Update:- image links now working ok.

Edited by bobsyouruncle
Change of title to 'finished' status.
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Superbly done.

One minor question  - would the noseleg not also be well on its way up by this point?  My recollection of Lightnings was that as the main gear folded away the noseleg typically was also folding forward.  Or was that dependent on the hydraulic set up and  'stiction' of an indivudual aircraft's systems?

1 hour ago, John B (Sc) said:

Superbly done.

One minor question  - would the noseleg not also be well on its way up by this point?  My recollection of Lightnings was that as the main gear folded away the noseleg typically was also folding forward.  Or was that dependent on the hydraulic set up and  'stiction' of an indivudual aircraft's systems?

AFAICR the nose leg didn't start to retract until the main legs were almost fully retracted.  This apparently caused a very junior Air Traffic Controller watching a departing Lightning for the first time to radio the pilot to warn him that the nose leg was jammed down.  The latter, well aware of this quirk, rolled his aeroplane inverted just as the leg started to retract giving the appearance that he was relying on gravity to do the job.  As the leg locked up he radioed back asking "How's that?", or words to that effect, before rolling upright and climbing away normally.

There's some lovely detail in that painting: it brings me to mind if the Wilf Hardy paintings that used to adorn the front covers of Air International, Air Enthusiast and the RAF Yearbook, as well as some of the articled and features inside (the "What if" TSR 2 and Hawker P.1121 screaming along at low level in one of the latter was always a favourite).

I was able to sit in XS922's cockpit at this year's Cockpit Fest at Newark Air Museum, sadly the only bit of her that's left as far as I can tell.  I'm beginning to wonder if I have markings in my decal bank that would allow me to replicate her in this scheme using ng one of my 1/48th scale Airfix Lightnings.  Hopefully the photos I took that day will give me the pilot's name.

• Like 1

Hi Gents and thanks for the kind words. Hoping to have it finished this week (it's had a few changes since the previous update).

Regarding the nose leg, John (and I like that story stever219), yes looking at many photos and videos, the nosewheel always went up last.

Looking at one video, it looks like the nosewheel doesn't move until the main legs are fully away (mainwheel covers might still be retracting though?).

I did read somewhere that the nosewheel had to be away before a certain speed due to it retracting forward into the airflow but I can't find that passage in my books at the moment.

The pilot's name in this time slot (AF tailcode - 5 Sqn) was Mark Ims (FG OFF MK IMS). Later with 11 Sqn - tailcode 'BJ' it was SQN LDR JD ALDINGTON.

Cheers Bob.

Thanks for that chaps. Hmm - so maybe my (now rather old) model of a Firebird's Lightning 1a in a fast climb out with all the gear coming up and take off flaps still set may be wrong. Drat.

I do recall a  comment about the max speed for gear retraction completion was quite challengingly low in some circumstances.

Edited by John B (Sc)

Added a few bits this week and I'm now classing this one as 'finished' for now.

T7vkXb.jpg

Oil on canvas 36 x 24" (91 x 61 cm)

John, I found the quotes about the nosewheel always going in last and having to be raised by 250 knots because of the slipstream in Ian Black's 'Lightning' and Danny Coremans 'English Electric Lightning'.

Cheers, Bob.

N.B. The final incarnation is very slightly different with a little more of the far wingtip vortice visible.

Edited by bobsyouruncle
Added note as to final finished item
  • Like 14

I think it's trully magnificent work Bob, atmospheric and very realistic use of shades and colours in that light setting.

Edited by Nils
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...